PDA

View Full Version : TJPM Wooden Dummy Book Available

mantis108
07-09-2002, 02:52 PM
TJMP Wooden Dummy Book, authored by Grandmaster Chiu’s student Wong Chi Shing, is now available. This is by far the only book featuring Grandmaster Chiu Chuk Kai performing the entire TJPM Wood Dummy form. There are articles including the biography of Grandmaster Chiu, and over hundred of pictures in this 113 pages book. Unfortunately, there is only Chinese version available at this time. This form is unique to our system. It is not taught until the advanced level and not all the TJPM schools are currently teaching it in their curriculums. As a collector and preserver, this legacy of a Grandmaster is not to be missed. The price, all funds are in US dollars, is set at $40.00 plus $10.00 shipping. Please add $5.00 dollars for locations outside North America. Multiple quantity orders are welcomed. Price wise it may not be accessible for some people; however, this book being the intellectual property of a Grandmaster and the effort of many people involved, I am sure most people would understand. For further question regarding purchasing the book, please send your inquiry to the following email address:

Book Purchase Inquirey (sifu1@internorth.com )

There are about 30 some books available right now. I have recently finished an article (in English) about the TJPM wooden dummy training. It will be inserted into the book as an appendix. Here is the outline of the article:

Introduction

Background Story to the Taiji Praying Mantis (TJPM) Wooden Dummy Form

Dynamics of TJPM and the Wooden Dummy training

Anatomy of the Wooden Dummy

Cross Training With the Wooden Dummy

Fundamentals of the Training

Power Generation

Beyond Training

Appendix: The TJPM Wooden Dummy Book

Mantis108

Tainan Mantis
07-18-2002, 07:40 AM
I did order this a year ago.
Later I had the chance to learn this form directly from Mantis108.
The book shows the TJPM GM performing 95% of the form. 5% is done by his students for some pics that weren't clear.

Every effort is made to show the form in as clear a manner as possible. It includes the complete manuscript of the form as well as other pics and history.

The form itself is based on the fighting method of TJPM. This becomes very clear that it is a method to practice techniques found in the TJPM system on the dummy for those moments when your partner isn't around.

Many of these techniques in the form appear to be lifted directly from the Taidzu 64 short strike 2 man drills.

On a related note:
When my teacher Shr Zhengzhong first met Zhao Zhuhsi in HK the first thing he wanted to learn was this form.
As there was a wooden dummy right next to where GM Zhao was sitting, he just stood up and performed the first 16 moves for my teacher.

After learning those moves my teacher stuffed a red envelope with five US 100$ bills as a sign of gratitude.

Afterwards he often traveled from Taiwan to HK to further his studies. This was happening while I was living in the kung fu school.

mantis108
07-18-2002, 10:09 AM
Hi Tainan Mantis,

Thank you very much for the support. The book project is an effort to keep the memories and spirit of Grandmaster Chiu alive. On behalf of those who are involved in the project, I extend our deep appreciation to your support by sharing your review and experience concerning the Wooden Dummy training. :) It is very endearing to hear how the masters sharing their knowledge.

2 items of note:

1) Those filled in pictures are by Sigung Chiu's only son, Chiu Han Lan who is still living in HK. The original pictures of Sigung were taken in the mid 70s. IMHO, this is rather rare as a book project that 2 generations, both father and son, shown doing a form. So as a collector item, it is most valuable.

2) I recently saw the Wing Chun Wooden Dummy form (HK Yip Man lineage). Although it is properly not the same Wooden Dummy form as the Sigung's sworn brother Sifu Chu Chun Man's WD form, which is where the inspiration came from, there are similarities.

Warmest regards

Mantis108