PDA

View Full Version : Stretching

Viper555
07-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Does anyone here know a good way I could stretch out one of my legs to give it more flexibility. I had a problem with my hip a while ago and I can't kick to high with my right leg. I've got a rope and pulley that I use to pull it as far as it will go but that doesn't seem to be helping any. Any suggestions?

jun_erh
07-09-2002, 06:46 PM
a variety of strectches is important. Like, if you can do a split like with one foot up and the other perpendicular, you can improve it by doing one of those Van Damme ones with both toes in the same diretion. So stretch every thing around what you most want to stretch.

IronFist
07-09-2002, 11:14 PM
Got $35? Buy "Relax Into Stretch" by Pavel Tsatsouline. It will probably be the last book on stretching you ever buy.

IronFist

ewallace
07-10-2002, 08:42 AM
Does that book mention whether or not it is good or bad to stretch before lifting weights/body weight routines? I keep hearing mixed opinions on this.

Sleemie
07-11-2002, 10:10 AM
I've just gone through some of this myself, trying to figure out all this stretching stuff, and it can be a bit confusing. I'll give you a this URL that someone referred me to, but it won't really end the confusion. I've pretty much settled in on a routine, but everyone has to go with what they're comfortable with.

http://www.stadion.com/column.html

ewallace
07-11-2002, 02:10 PM
I've got that guy's video from the 80's where he is doing the splits on two folding chairs with some chick sitting on his leg. Never went thru the whole thing and I have no clue where the vid is. :)

Kempo Guy
07-11-2002, 05:10 PM
ewallace,
That's probably Thomas Kurz video... I think it's called "Stretching Scientifically". Pretty good stuff.

viper555,
I would have to agree with IronFist and say Pavel's book or video is the way to go. You may even want to consider Pavel's "SuperJoints" or the "Warrior Wellness" joint strengthening program from rmax.tv.

KG

BSH
07-13-2002, 11:22 AM
Dit Da Stretching Jow added to an aggressive stretching routine. Nothing better that I've found.

NYerRoman
07-30-2002, 01:50 AM
I was going to post a thread on this one. Glad I shopped around first.
I lost much of my flexibility after a serious accident that left my right leg in three pieces and 18 months of rehab.
My muscles, as they healed while in traction and while on a break from KF, stiffened and I have been trying to work on my flexibility again...with minimal results.

I've tried routines from books, morning things, etc. But nothing really.
I'll try some of the suggestions posted.
Anyone else got any?

peace brothers and sisters.

Helicopter
07-30-2002, 03:50 AM
(I'm not an expert, please consult one. That's the disclaimer out of the way. see McD thread. :) )

Scar tissue is very non-elastic, sounds like you probably have a lot of it and it's pretty permanent. You can 'work at' the scar tissue with massage and continue to stretch with caution.

I injured my achilles a long time ago and it continued to cause me grief for several years, but since starting Kung Fu I've not had any major problems (occasionally I get a tweak just to let me know that there is still a weakness.)

But seriously, you should consult a Physiotherapist.

Helicopter
07-30-2002, 07:43 AM
See the Shin Massage thread there's a link about the benefit of massage.