PDA

View Full Version : New to Kung Fu

Viper555
07-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Hey everyone, I've just started Kung Fu(only taken one class so far)after taking Karate for two years and realising it sucks. I was just wondering, did everyone else on here have trouble with jumping kicks to begin with. I can only get my right leg about 5 1/2 ft. high and my left leg 7 ft. high with these kind of kicks. Does anyone have any tips for me? I've practiced these kicks all day until my legs are hurting with little improvement. Also, did you guys find the low stances kind of hard to do at first?

Kungfu boy
07-09-2002, 08:03 PM
Good luck with the kung fu. Everyone has problems in the beginning. The lower stances are hard for anyone who does have much leg strength or aren't used to them.

I can understand about the kicks, it just takes alot of work. If you practice alot outside the school, your kicks will get better but it usually takes a while.(like 2-3 months) Sometimes things take a while, others just fly. I had been working my thai kick forever, over and over again still not getting the power I wanted. And then one day I just walked into the schooland I just wailed the bag into the wall. But then again I still have problems with my side kick because it needs work. I don't do too many jump kicks, I used to when I was at another school and they took awhile to develop and I got good at them. At the time I left(after about 6 months I go tired of their BS)I was kicking better then some of brown belts, the highest rank at the time.

Like I said good luck and don't get discouraged, I'm sure one of the other guys can offer more insight from a kungfu perspective.

awakenwired
07-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Hey there. I'm still pretty new too. I haven't been doing much jump kicking either, but have been doing plenty of low stances. What my system calls a "cat stance" seems to be particularly grueling. On the knees especially.

I have been improving though, by practicing very low horse stances. What works for me is I'll take a form that I've been working on, and just go thought all of the upper body movements, while holding the horse stance. Keeps my mind off my legs, and I get to practice some techniques in my forms as well. Anyway good luck to ya.

kungfu cowboy
07-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Hi Viper! Would that happen to be Hudson Ohio? Are you going to th White Birch Academy? Just curious.:)

Viper555
07-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Actually that's Hudson North Carolina and i'm going to Blue Ridge Kung Fu Arnis Academy.

They have a website here (http://www.blueridgekungfu.com)

Tell me what you think about the school.

PLCrane
07-11-2002, 11:52 AM
Um, why do you need to kick higher than 7 feet?? I'm not sure if I've ever kicked that high, and I've been doing martial arts for most of the last 20 years. Pretty sure I'll never kick that high, since I'm getting close to 50.

I do my jumping kicks for distance, so I can catch up to a tall guy when he's stepping back away from me, or when driving someone back with an arm bar. If you want to kick him in the head, make him bend over first.

Of course, if you just want to do high kicks to be able to do them, then go for it. If you can pay attention to what all your body parts are doing when you execute the move, then you might be able to see where you're hanging up with the one side. Then you'll know which piece to work on. Is there a difference in the height of the same kicks when you aren't jumping?

You might need to stretch something that's tight, and you might need to position your hips a little differently. The quickest way to get a front kick higher is to curl your hips forward when you kick.

Have fun.

TaoBoy
07-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Um, why do you need to kick higher than 7 feet??

I was thinking the same thing.
Training for a fight with Kareem Abdul-Jabar, maybe? :D

Viper, what style of KF do you study?

Good luck.

Viper555
07-11-2002, 07:48 PM
I don't, I was talking about the right leg, not the left.

TaoBoy
07-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Confused.

I don't, I was talking about the right leg, not the left.

So you don't want to kick 7' high?
Then what's this about the right leg? :confused:

Ah, doesn't matter.

What style are you studying?

Viper555
07-12-2002, 07:32 AM
Sil Lum

And I want to be able to kick 7 ft. with my right leg but no higher than that.

PLCrane
07-12-2002, 08:33 AM
How much difference is there in the height of the left and right when you do the same kick without a jump? Is it the hip and thigh that are limiting the height, or is it the jump?

Viper555
07-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Hip and thigh.

SevenStar
07-14-2002, 01:34 AM
karate doesnt suck - it was prolly your school...

as for the jump kick, why do you want to kick higher with one leg but not the other? and why 7 feet?

In any case, since you are just starting, work basics. drill them repeatedly. It will get boring, but your skill will continue to increase if you do.

PLCrane
07-14-2002, 11:10 AM
Viper,

Work on the kick more than the jump. Spend some time going through the kicks slowly and holding the leg up for a few seconds - this gives you a chance to experiment with your hip position and see where the difference is from side to side.

One big hurdle for newbies is in trying to be aware of many different things going on in the body all at the same time. That body awareness is very important to develop. Be patient with yourself. Eventually, all the parts start to fall into place, and your body will do things differently.

Liokault
07-14-2002, 12:00 PM
All you guys asking why you need to kick higher than 7 feet.

what if you get attacked by a guy on a horse? Or a circus stilt walker? are your training methods so limited that you leave out answers to thease very real threats?

I personaly carry a small saw to deal with stilt walkers and am wairy of guys on horse back!!

Rory
07-15-2002, 03:35 PM
The reason is simple its because a person would be much more comfortable on there right legged because like most poeple its easier to right with your right hand thats why if you practice with your right leg kicking it will get better

sunstylin
07-21-2002, 09:17 PM
Or a circus stilt walker?
Kick the stilts!!!(give the horse a carrot)