PDA

View Full Version : Need the opinions of KFO!!!

Royal Dragon
07-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Ok, I'm putting up some basic history and promotional stuff on my site, and I came up with the following rough draft. Whats your opinion? (God I hope this isn't too hokey!!)

. Introduction
Martial arts history is a very complicated an inexact science. Each style started with one man or a small group and expanded and evolved through countless generations. Some systems were developed and perfected by the military, wile others were developed by the monks of many temples (particularly the Shaolin Temple in Denfeg China). Still others were developed by criminal organizations or underground revolutionary groups. Often, a system would be started by one individual or group and then later, be perfected by another

The birth of Shaolin
During the early Northern Wei dynasty (386 - 534 AD) the Emperor Hsiao Wien had a temple built in the Song Shan mountains for the Indian Monk Bu Tuo. The Temple was built on grounds that had previously been clear cut. Possibly to make fields for military training. Later trees were re planted there. "Shaolin" means Young Forest, and was named after the young forest it stood in. It began operation in 495 A.D.
The monk Bu Tuo concentrated on the translation of Indian Buddhist text into Chinese. He is most remembered by his statue, a fat, jolly and seated monk. Often called the "Laughing Buddha". The temple originally consisted of a round dome housing an altar and a platform where Indian and Chinese monks translated Indian Buddhist scriptures into Chinese. The Monks worked both day and night. To complete this task. Unfortunately not much else is known about Bu Tuo. Some say that some form of Martial practice was going on at this point but if so, not much if any survived to the present day.

Bodhidharma
(Ta Mo)
Some time after 500 A.D. the monk Bodhidharma, an Indian Prince, (Ta Mo or Da Mo in Chinese A.D.448-527) came to China. He was a 28th Patriarch of Buddhism and the third son of a Brahman King. He came to China to teach Buddhism from a monastery in southern India. He was apparently upwards in age at the time. Ta Mo traveled north across the mountains most likely on foot, A journey of several hundred miles. After his long and exhausting trek he came to the palace of the Emperor Liang Wu Ti of the Liang southern dynasty. Some texts indicate that he was summoned by this Emperor, and some say he just arrived there wile on his journey. The Monk's teachings proved to be beyond the capacity of the Emperor, who had him cast out of the Palace.
From there Ta Mo traveled north crossing the Yangtze River. He eventually ended up at the Shaolin Temple in the Song Shan mountains (in what is now Honan Province). After a short stay, he was also cast out of Shaolin by the temples Abbot. The Abbot feared that Ta Mo's teachings were to radical and would be disrupting to his followers. You see Ta Mo did not believe in the ritualistic ceremonial practices of the current Chinese Buddhism. He felt that the works and scripture translating were artificial and done in vain if they were made solely for the purpose of gaining entry into "heaven" and not truly heartfelt. He believed in a more practical and realistic method, consisting of meditation and purity of action & principal over superficial ritual. Rejected, Ta Mo took up residence in a cave just up the mountainside from Shaolin. He stayed there for 9 years.

Legend has it that he sat in intense Meditation for this whole time. Supposedly the power of his "Chi" burned an image of him in to the rock. In reality there is an image etched or burned or whatever into the rock face where he sat, but there is no scientific explanation as to how it got there. Legend also says that during his brief time at Shaolin he noticed that the Monks were very weak from living a very sedentary monistalific life. Their health conditions were very similar to the many health problems faced today by the "Creature Comfort" sedimentary life lived by "Modern Man". He supposedly meditated for the 9 years at his cave to figure out how to solve this grave problem. In reality, he probably went about his life as well as any cave dwelling, up in age soul might. Being a Monk with lots of free time he probably practiced the Yoga of his homeland and meditated long and often. During his stay he must have had semi regular contact with the Monks of Shaolin. After all Ta Mo's cave is so close to the temple that today's Monks jog to it every morning at sunrise for meditation and Chi Kung practice before starting their day. Over the years they must have come to slowly know and accept him. After his 9 years in the cave he was invited to live at the temple with the other monks. This is when he taught them three main exercises to develop their health, strength and stamina. They were the Yi Jin Jing (Muscle Tendon Changing), Xi Sui Jing (Marrow Purification) and the Shi Ba Fa Louhan Shou (18 Enlightened one's Hands). All of these exercises are still taught to this day by all good Shaolin Kung Fu schools somewhere in their curriculum. Of these three the 18 Louhan Hands had some basic martial application.

Tang Dynasty
Between 625 and 698 A.D. during The Tang dynasty, the Emperor T'ai Tsung was at war with General Wang-Shih-Chung. Li Shimini, the Emperors son was leading the army against Wang. Wang's army managed to capture the Emperor's son. He caused great damage to the Tang army. The Shaolin Monks were called upon by the Emperor to rescue his son. History records that thirteen Monks were sent on that mission. Even against impossible odds and large numbers of enemy troops, they were successful, and because of their heroics they were given much land in which to expand. They were also commissioned at this time to train Elite Military troops for the Emperor. From this period, Shaolin Monks were allowed to eat meat and sometimes drink alcohol. Later after succeeding his father, Li Shimin promoted Tan Zong (a chief of the Shaolin militia) to the rank of General gave more land to the Monks and 1000 pieces of silk. The temple was given the title of "First Monastery Under the Sky". Regular interchange and training between high-ranking soldiers and Master Shaolin monks saw further development of Shaolin Kung Fu during this time period. Unfortunately later Tang Emperors eventually became paranoid of such a powerful and independent military force existing within their borders and had the Temple destroyed.

Shaolin Expands to Fukien
Built around the same time as the Henan Temple, the Fukien Temple was integrated into mainstream
Shaolin around 650 A.D. It was a much larger temple than the one in Henan and served as the main temple in times when Henan was destroyed or occupied. Many famous styles later emerged from this temple, or the Monks that came from it.

Around 800 A.D. the third temple was integrated into the Shaolin order. It was called The Wutang
Temple. It was located in the politically unstable area near Manchuria and the Korean Peninsular. It was often pillaged or attacked by bandits, robbers or local war lords. The monks there were very versed with the practical aspect of war, weaponry & defense and proved a tough match for any one foolish enough to engage them.

72 & 170 Movements
Sometime between the Yuan dynasty (1260-1368 A.D.) and the beginning of the Ming dynasty there lived a young nobleman. This nobleman entered the Shaolin to become a monk. Although his original name is not known to me, the name he assumed apon entering the temple was Chueh Yuan. He spent much time studying the Louhan style. He expanded it by developing the 72-movement exercise. The 72 movements were very effective for both internal and external fitness and was soon adopted by all the monks of Shaolin. Later with a desire to continue improvements Chueh Yuan traveled to seek the tutelage of other masters. He came across an old man being attacked by bandits. The old man effortlessly defended himself against them. Thinking this old man knew a new kind of martial art he introduced himself. The old man denied knowing much abought fighting and stated what he did know was taught to him by a master named Pai Yu-Feng. After seeking him out the two Masters went back to Shaolin and further developed and expand the Louhan style by the addition of a new 170-movement exercise. This expansion, was in reality a new style, called the Five Animal style. Much of today's Shaolin Kung Fu comes from this routine. On a side note some writings indicate that the preceding story actually occurred after the Tang dynasty just prior to the Song. This may not be accurate since the 170 movements were the original Five Animal style which was often said to have been developed some time after the Yuan or during the Ming dynasty.

Royal Dragon
07-09-2002, 07:36 PM
The Ming Dynasty
In 1368 the White Lotus Society helped a former Buddhist Monk named Chu, Yuan Chin found the Ming dynasty. It lasted until 1644 A.D. In the early 16th century, (the middle of the Ming) the abbot Jue Yuan went to Lanzhou and Luoyang, there he met the experts Li Shou and Bai Yunfeng. They came back to the Temple to develop and teach a new boxing method. The Chinese historians disagree about the real date of this fact, But there were major changes in Shaolin Kung Fu during this period.
The Ming dynasty saw a time when the most styles were invented at Shaolin. Much exchange occurred between the two main Shaolin temples. The Plum Flower fist style was most likely invented during this dynasty.

Because the arts at Shaolin had grown so large, the Monks specialized in their particular interests. The Shaolin Kung Fu was in danger of becoming splintered into smaller fragments. The monks, Instead of learning the whole system and specializing in their strengths, were now just learning the Five Animals and studying a whole different art. After a certain amount of time, only a few monks knew the same styles as their counterparts and there was a danger that certain styles could die out because there was no one left to pass it on. After a meeting, they decided to combine the core of all the different styles taught at Shaolin into one base system. This would ensure that all the principles of every style would forever be carried on. As before the monks would specialize in their favorite aspect of this new "Super style". Five main divisions were formed.
1. Louhan
2. White Crane
3. Sung Tai Tzu's Wu Gong
4. Da Mo's Chi Kung
5. Tah Sheng (agility training)

These were combined into one, creating the original Northern Five Ancestors Style (not to be confused with the Southern Five Ancestors of the later Ching dynasty period).

Around 1500 A.D. the Shaolin Integrated an ancient Taoist temple into their order. It was called Omei Shan or Great White Mountain. Omei was located in an in accessible area of Szechuan province. Unlike the Honan and Fuiken temples, this one was not a major "Martial Art" temple. Instead, it specialized in the Medical sciences. It's libraries were filled with Medical, Herbal and Acupuncture/Acupressure texts from all over China. I'm sure some Kung Fu was practiced there but it was not the mainstream. It supposedly had close contact with the Tibetan Crane temple. Unfortunately it was eventually closed. At one point in time the ruins of this temple were used as target practice for some artillery units of China's military. Eventually it was restored and today it is the headquarters of a large Panda reserve.

End of the Ming & founding the Ching Dynasty
In the late 1600's China was conquered by the Manchurians and the Ching dynasty was formed. The Ching dynasty was a very turbulent time, especially for the Shaolin Temple. In fact, Shaolin's Southern temple was a hot bed of rebel activity. Many secret societies were formed with the express goal of defeating the Ching and then restoring the Ming dynasty to it's former glory. Many of today's modern styles were perfected during this time, like the Hung, and Fut styles. Supposedly during this time the Southern Shaolin temple was destroyed due to this rebel activity.

Shaolin in modern times

The Shaolin continued in the North for sometime thru the Ching dynasty until it's destruction in 1928. From then it lay in rubble with only a few Monks desperately trying to preserve the knowledge. This was a very hard time for Shaolin. Eventually, China's movie industry came to the temple to film a movie titled "Shaolin Temple" staring a very young Wu Shu performer named Jet Lei. There was an unexpected reaction. Chinese from all over the nation started flocking to Shaolin to become Monks and learn Kung fu. It got so bad that the Chinese government had to step in to manage the situation. Shaolin schools appeared everywhere and a small Kung Fu village sprang up over night around Shaolin and was known a Shaolin Village. As time whent on, Shaolin became a major tourist trap and much of the Kung Fu taught in the Wu Shu Guan (A HUGE modern martial arts school built for Shaolin by the government) was mostly modern Wu Shu, a performing art based in Kung Fu. The traditional arts are still preserved there and available for those who want to learn, however.
Today, many journey to Shaolin to study at the temples school, or some of the local schools in the surrounding area. There is even accommodations and English speaking Monks for western foreigners who wish to learn this ancient treasure and martial art.

The many schools world wide teaching Shaolin all bear a connection to this ancient temple no matter what aspect of it's knowledge they teach. Shaolin is not a specific "Style" of Kung Fu, but it is more of a university of martial arts offering courses in a large variety of styles. Only a few of these are pure Shaolin. By pure, I men styles that were invented and perfected at the temple. However, many styles were incorporated into Shaolin so long ago they are now considered pure Shaolin arts, like the Hong Chuan style for example. Most students are taught a curriculum that is a combination of Shaolin's major styles, and later choose to specialize and master a single system.

At Royal Dragon, we teach a Shaolin system that represents the core of Shaolin teachings, including authentic and internationally recognized material that is still practiced at Shaolin today like the famous Shou and Da Hong Chuan sets. These are two of the few sets the Chinese Government recognizes as "Authentic" Shaolin Kung Fu, and are both known far and wide by anyone familiar with the Shaolin style. If our students were to actually fly to Shaolin, they would see many of the same forms being taught there and at surrounding schools, that they learn here through the Royal Dragon curriculum. They may not be taught in the same order, but most of them are the same forms exercises and drills taught at Shaolin today.

Merryprankster
07-09-2002, 07:38 PM
wile should be spelled "while,"

I'm not sure monastifilic is a word. I believe Monastic fits nicely though :)

KC Elbows
07-09-2002, 07:43 PM
RD, pretty good, send the text file to me if you want and I'll proof it, fix any spelling errors, etc.

Royal Dragon
07-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Just so long as it's not too Hokey. The spelling stuff I'll Iron out later. We all know I can't spell to save my life, so I'll have to work extra hard on that part. :D

Royal Dragon
07-09-2002, 07:47 PM
I want to get it as close to perfect as I can first, give me a week, and I'll E-Mail it to Ya.

Right now, I'm more concerned about the wording and presentation. I don't want prospective students to see me as the goofy loon I am (LOL:eek: )

HopGar
07-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Not bad RD. Just iron out the spelling (BTW, I cant spell for my life either.)

Royal Dragon
07-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I can't spell, but if you were to drop a truck load of steel on me, I could build you anything you want with blueprints I made up out of thin air and kept in my head!!!

KC Elbows
07-09-2002, 08:05 PM
If you dropped a truck load of steel on me, I would die.

If I built any sort of structure out of it for people to dwell in, they would die.

Royal Dragon
07-09-2002, 08:10 PM
I guess you never studied "Fabrication Fu"?

KC Elbows
07-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Fabrication is so pa doe.

Royal Dragon
07-09-2002, 08:28 PM
UNDERSTAND!?! (Shakes head yes) GOOD!!!:p

KC Elbows
07-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Be alright to suggest a spell checker?:p

You forgot to make a section explaining your miraculous achievements, nor do you have sufficient testimonials, written by yourself, of course.;)

I can't help it. It's like a disease.

guohuen
07-10-2002, 09:02 AM
Nicely done. Just a question as I'm not a scholar. I thought the temple at Wudang was Daoist. Was it incorporated by the Shaolin?

Royal Dragon
07-10-2002, 10:30 AM
The Wu Dang thing is from info I found on the NET. The original site is long gone, but I have the page on my hardrive. My original source may be wrong, but then again there are lots of temples on Wu dang, and the perticular one mentioned was suposedly a branch of Shaolin for a time (800 AD-???). If it's the same WuTang most people refer to, then it must have reverted back to a Taoist temple at some point, and I don't have any info on when it was no longer Shaolin anymore.

Shaolindynasty
07-10-2002, 10:43 AM
I don't think Omei or Wudang were ever part of shaolin in any way but I could be wrong.

This is kind of long and involved reading, enjoyable for martial artists interested in history but not good for advertising/promotional purposes. If I were you I'd right up some really short and to the point type stuff that includes benifits etc. then have a sort of archive section where you keep this more involved type info. I am retool mine in more the same way, KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Stone Monkey
07-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Personally I enjoy reading about CMA history - the more you read, the more likely you are to come across all the contradictions!
To keep from overwhelming prospective students, etc., it may be worth presenting the information as a timeline, with brief descriptions linking to more in-depth stuff. This would lend itself more to 'browsing' than a long essay-format...

Good luck with your site.

Royal Dragon
07-10-2002, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the info is accurate (Who can tell with Chinse martial history though)

Chris, I already have a very rough draft of benifits and simplistic information, but I'm not really done with it yet. I will put it up by the end of nxt week I think. I'm thinking of linking to the above document fro the simpler one.

I have to come up with stuff both the serious martial artist will be interested in, AND the soccer Mom types that will be the majority of my clientel.

Fu-Pow
07-10-2002, 04:38 PM
You might want to check out hungkuen.net. There's some really good info about the Southern Shaolin temple. Apparently, they have found it.

Royal Dragon
07-10-2002, 05:06 PM
it's suposedly the same layout as the Northern. Hard to believe personally. As far as I know the Southern was an existing Temple assimilated around 650 AD. So the similar layout seems a bit suspect to me.

I am going to be writing manuals on my Tai Tzu systems which will include as much history in the first volume as I can. I plan to put as many conflicting historical legands and "facts" a I can and give the reader someting to think about and decide for themselves. I figure if i do it that way, I don't come off as a know it all, and I won't be attacked if I'm wrong later :D