PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Business and Taebo (Cardiokickboxing)

Eddie
07-10-2002, 06:42 AM
I suspect that this topic is somewhat controversial, but here goes it anyways...

Running a kung fu studio or centre does not come cheap. School owners have to pay overhead expenses such as rent, water and electricity use, instructor wages, insurance, advertising... the list goes on and on.

In exchange for cash payments, instructors instruct the students in a style of martial arts. The fee also includes the use of the studio and all its equipment (unless the instructor wants it differently). As our human nature will have it, most schools will have dedicated students, and the not so dedicated members (pay the rent students). The latter, will most probably never really advance in the style, and will probably leave within the first 2 or 3 years. The dedicated few (and I must emphasise F E W ) will advance in the art and eventually make it to become top kung fu players, whether competitive or not. Even the best schools have these problems.

I have seen many people on this forum as well as other net forums and web pages who hate the idea of modern kung fu gyms which tries to make it commercially by offering additional services which are more directed to the commercial market and the everyday people.

I have seen on web pages that there are many masters, traditional, modern, western, Chinese, and non Asian, around the world, who offer services at their gyms such as Cardio Kickboxing or TaeBo. I suspect they do this to try maintain a healthy income in order to run their Martial Arts gyms. This way, everyone benefits. The dedicated students have the chance to train in the art, and the not so dedicated students who basically subsidise the others, get what they want. Everyone is happy…. Except for the critics. I have seen arguments on the websites and forums from people who call these schools ‘non traditional’ and even sell-outs’. One even called them disrespectful.

As a school owner, how far would you go to try promote your art? How do you feel about traditional schools which tries to make ends meet by implementing extra classes or services such as Tae Bo (or Cardio kickboxing or what every you may want to call it)? After all, the instructors are also working, and they also need to get paid for what the do.

I would love to hear your comments.
Eduann

Nevermind
07-10-2002, 07:07 AM
Actually, cardio kickboxing serves an even more important purpose. It brings a lot of women into the studio who normally wouldn't come in because they think martial arts is a male thing only. A lot of women are intimidated by this misconception. Once they are there of course, they see other women martial artists which destroys this myth. At our studio, a lot of people, both male and female came in for the cardio classes only and ended up crossing over into the kung fu curriculm. One of them is now a SiHing. As for the financial benefit, if it helps take care of the overhead and keeps tuition affordable for the dedicated students, I say its cool. Just my two cents. (o:

Helicopter
07-10-2002, 07:20 AM
I think it's down to labelling, there is such an amount of commitment involved in true Chinese martial arts, it's easy to feel that you 'own' the term 'Kung Fu'.

When you see stuff labelled Kung Fu and all they do is circuit training with a few poorly executed punches and kicks - it feels like it diminishes something that I believe in. I have nothing against these classes. I just feel that if it is aerobics and fitness training it should be called as such.

If it's clearly defined as aerobics, or fitness training there should be no perceived insult, but too often it's '..for fitness and self-defence..' like you used to see when boxercise was in vogue.

I think it's about ego and the exclusivity of CMA, like you said few people have the true commitment.

But if my instructor wanted to teach kung fu-acise the other nights in the week to rake in the dough then fair-play to him. Just so long as there was a clear separation between the two.

jpcm

TaoBoy
07-14-2002, 10:16 PM
Nevermind & Helicopter are right on the money.

There's no problem with these type of classes as long as they aren't sold as Martial Arts or Self-Defence classes. They are what they are and should be marketed as such.

It brings a lot of women into the studio who normally wouldn't come in because they think martial arts is a male thing only.

...and even the guys who aren't attracted to martial arts will gain exposure to something new. It's a great way to attract new people.

[BTW - this thread may get more responses if moved to the main Kung Fu Forum]

Fu-Pow
07-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Hmmm....yes....definitely need more women in the gym.....