4. Left twist, waist cut.
5. Right twist, waist cut.
6. Immortal carries firewood.
7. Hooks form a shield.
8. Jumping step, sit in tiger, twirl the hooks
9. Continuous step, hook and pull.
10. Phoenix spreads its wings.
11. Phoenix circles its nest.
12. Wrapping yourself in thorns and cutting.
13. Left, right, playing boy kicks the ball.
14. Female immortal sprinkles flowers.
15. Turn around, sun and moon position.
16. Left, right, upper hook, reverse stance.
17. Smooth step, hanging hook.
18. Forward step, hanging hook.
19. Jumping step, hanging hook.
20. Double spreading wings.
21. Carp flops.
22. Lion opens it massive jaws.
23. Back step, diving dragon.
24. Continuously drill and hook.
25. Continuously grinding stone.
26. Flying hook, spin around.
27. Black tiger climbs the cliff.
28. Left, right, turn around, rolling and turning.
29. Spinning around, golden hook position.
30. Alert cat catches the mouse.
31. Turn around, alert cat catches the mouse.
32. Hawk turns in flight.
33. Left, right, female immortal sprinkles flowers.
34. "Lion rolls the ball" flower spin.
35. Pretty girl sells flowers.
36. Hopping step, spin around, rolling step.
37. Logger chops the wood, three times.
38. "Monk shaves the head" flower spin.
39. Single leg stance, facing the cliff.
40. Rolling ground golden scissors kick.
41. Left, right, playing boy kicks the ball.
42. Old tree gnarls its roots.
43. Hopping step, golden rooster flaps its wings.
44. Old tree gnarls its roots.
45. Black tiger climbs the cliff.
46. Phoenix nods its head, three times.
47. Spinning hook, finish form.

NorthernShaolin
07-10-2002, 11:49 PM
Gene,

Originally I had very few lyrics for this set but with the help from Zhongyi who learnnt NSL from Wu Chao-hsiang. Zhongyi was kind enough to give me the lyrics to the Tiger Hooks. He learned NSL in Taiwan and his teachers were Lee Jen-shen (a General in the KMT) and Ma Jing-biao (his bodyguard). Lee Jen Shen learnt NSL from KYC at the KMT. Zhongyi was a member of KFO but I’ve not seen any posting by him in a long time.

Anyway the following lyrics which some of them seem to be older lyrics are from Zhongyi. I want to take this opportunity to thank him for sharing the lyrics with me.

#8 instead of ‘Jumping step, sit on Tiger, twirl the hooks’, he has ‘Tiger jumps over the river’.

#9 instead of ‘continuous step, hook and pull’, he uses ‘Tiger throw hooks’

#12 instead of ‘Wrapping yourself in thorns and cutting’, he has ‘Wrap and cut’.

#16 instead of ‘left, right upper hook, reverse stance’, he has ‘Clear Hooks’.

#18 instead of ‘smooth step, hanging hooks’, he translated as ‘Cautiously hang hooks’.

#19 instead of ‘Jumping step, hanging hooks’, he uses’ Fiercely hang hooks’.

#20 instead of ‘Double spread wings, he has ‘Phoenix spreads its wings’.

#21 Carp Flops- he has this name but I think this lyric fits better and may be older, ‘Falling Star Chases the Moon’.

#23 instead of ‘Back step, diving dragon’, he translates it as ‘Dragon dives into the sea’.

#40 ‘Rolling ground golden scissors kick’ which is consistent with the similar lyric that you have in the Ti T’ang Double Sabers, he uses the same lyric as I have for the TTDS; ‘Iron Ox plows the ground’.

Now between your #40 lyric, (right after the lyric ‘rolling on ground’) he has the lyric that is the same that I have for the TTDS; ‘Maiden opens the window, looks at the moon’ which is just before your lyric, ‘golden scissors kick’.

After #40 I have the lyric that is the same in the TTDS, ‘Jump over the Dragon Gate’ which is a lyric for a ‘kip’. He uses the lyric ‘Dragon leaves the cave’ which is just a rocking up onto your legs from lying on the back.

#41 ‘left, right, boy playing with ball and kicks it,’ he uses the lyric, ‘Dragon playing in Ocean’.

#43 instead of ‘hopping step, golden rooster flaps its wings.’ he has ‘Jin Ji Dou Li flips wings’.

#45 ‘Black tiger climbs the cliff,’ neither he nor I perform this lyric.

In my list of lyrics for this set, I was missing lyrics #28, 31 and 39 lyrics which was strange because the techniques are there but I did not have the lyrics for them…thanks Gene

NorthernShaolin
07-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Forgot to mention that I always loved to perform this set in demonstrations because it is much easier than the Ti T'ung Double sabers. Many years ago, about 1974, I performed this set on our local TV station, KRON-TV, Channel 4 (NBC) when CMA was just starting to bloom across the USA.