PDA

View Full Version : Total Aikido Rant

shaolinboxer
07-10-2002, 01:16 PM
Ok, I was just over at www.aikiweb.com and I just can't stand the stupid childish bickering anymore. It is absolutely absurd...this whole aikido pecking order and who assigned what rank to who and who belongs to what organization. And then to top it off you have punk moderators insisting on friendly underhanded bashing instead of direct insults.

Not only that, but what is with these idiots talking about fighting and combat and blah blah with nothing but anecdotal stories of stuff that probably never happened.

And to top it off they wax philosophical and never give any practical advice. For example, some newbie asks "what can I do to be a better aikidoist" and all you get is answers like "enjoy yourself" and "try to harmonize". I drop some practical advice like "keep you mouth shut so you don't screw up your jaw" and it's like i'm talking to an empty room.

Now here's the ultimate problem as I see it. So this whole art is about harmony blah blah but it is SO political it's amazing anyone learns anything. Everyone is so obsessed with developing "divine techniques" that they shun other arts, and they are so busy trying to figure out who gave who a millionth dan ranking the art is becoming totally stale.

Perhaps it's just the forums...I dunno.

I respect the learning method used by aikido dojos (well, at least the one I train at) and believe in the value of traditional or classical technique, but I wish instead of trying to be so **** civilized (and utter failing) they would just bloody eachother up and shut their mouths.

End rant. Thank you.

ewallace
07-10-2002, 01:32 PM
I thought everyone was in agreement that they are all subordinates to a navy chef. :)

It would be much easier that way no?

JusticeZero
07-10-2002, 01:36 PM
That seems common to any art where things other than combat end up stressed. You end up with piles of people who want to learn martial arts, but not so much that they might actually learn something combative or test themselves.. so they get all political instead.
Yes, martial arts can improve character. But it's not some mystical thing, it comes from testing oneself, pushing your limits, and forging yourself on the anvil of adversity. If you don't do that - and I daresay most aikidokas do not - then you tend to just -claim- to be a moral person.

old jong
07-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Hey,they are only humans just like us!...Let's see how they will react when they will be invaded by BJJ trolls!...;)
(This comment does not include our respected BJJ members like Merryprankster,Black Jack and many others I can't think about right now!... ;))

greendragon
07-10-2002, 02:48 PM
I agree that Aiki forum sux. After over 25 years of training in KungFu, I have joined an Aikido Dojo and love it. I don't think a beginner would get much out of it right away, but for me it's great. So i check out their web forum and it doesn't even compare to this one, which has diversity.

MA fanatic
07-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Lets face facts. Aikido was founded by Morihei Ueshiba. He was great, or so perceived, but he is dead. With him, Aikido died as well. We have all these people who cant throw a decent punch or kick (not to mention block one or absorb one) trying to have mystical powers. These guys tell tall tales about things which never happened. I have a friend who is a 3rd dan in Aikido. The guy is huge. He also has 3 years of boxing experience from the army. Well, in a physical confrontation, he counter punched the guy into a KO. No wrist locks or unrealistic throws. He wacked him once and the guy was out cold. I have yet to see an Aikidoka practice against someone throwing real punch combinations, jabs, crosses and hooks. I have yet to see them really spar against someone who throws leg kicks or who is a decent kicker. I have yet to see one actuallly spar with a grappler or try to submit anyone who knows anything about submission. All I hear are stories stories stories. I can't believe so many people are living a lie. Perhaps I'm just not enlightened enough.
MA fanatic

rogue
07-10-2002, 07:07 PM
shaolinboxer, what you just stated proves that Aikido comes from CMA.;)

"I stand in the mountain stream
So pure! The splashing sound of water against the stone.
Yet where is the person
Who with such purity can speak (of the Way).

- Morihei Ueshiba" :confused:

Mama said to knock you out! LLCJ :D

I got to see a friendly sparring session between a karateka and a aikidoka. The aikidoka lost. Then the karateka is way above average in skill.

rogue
07-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Anyway how do you just strip someone of their rank? One minute you're a 3rd dan the next you're nothing? I love when associations and orginizations defrock their members.

greendragon
07-10-2002, 07:26 PM
MAfanatic; I have chosen Aikido because it focuses on the action of CENTER. This is the essence and power of all martial arts. Once you learn basic timing, footwork, distancing, etc., the technique, be it punch - kick - grapple, are of secondary importance to use of center. I understand that it does not look logical on the surface, but there is depth. You have not seen it applied because they do not compete like sport styles.

Brad
07-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Is Akido like Chin Na? That just seems to be the impression I get from Segal movies :D

Budokan
07-10-2002, 09:36 PM
This bickering and internecine warfare is often the norm after the founder of a style dies. Shotokan had it (still does to some degree with the shotokai people), so did JKD after Lee died. Too bad all that preaching about humility doesn't ever slop over onto everyday life once the founder dies, but there you have it.

MA fanatic
07-11-2002, 03:10 AM
I'm not sure what bickering you guys are talkng about. But, Aikido founder died in the Mid 50s. Don't tell me these guys are still in despite of who will represent the system. All that when none of them are any good. Actually, just prior to his death, Morihei Ueshiba said so himself. He actually stated, "no one seems to know or practice my aikido."

As for the art itself, there is nothing wrong with learning ballance. There is nothing wrong with the spiritual approach. Nothing wrong with philosophy and harmony either. It is wrong when it is labled as realistic self defense. Let's face it, if you were to chose one art for your daughter to study for self defense, it would not be aikido. I'd want her to study JKD (ecclectic art which assembles many ranges of combat and gives the student more weapons to fight with), Combat Sambo, Russian Systema, Shooto,
Some Muay Thai mixed with Grappling, perhaps even Combat hapkido.
MA fanatic

dezhen2001
07-11-2002, 05:10 AM
next everyone will be saying "doesn't use resisting opponents" and all that usual stuff... :rolleyes:

I don't even train Aikido anymore, but respect it as a great martial art skill. Every time i've been in a situation when i've needed to defend myself, Aikido (until now), is the 1 thing that has literally saved my @ss each time. So when u say that it can't be used for self defence, then i just proved you wrong (numerous times)...

Shaolinboxer: this seems to happen to any style that loses the founder and has a lot of good senior students... look at wing chun, shotokan, jkd... there are many others i'm sure. I think that as long as the next generations are taught correctly and don't let get influenced by the petty politics (develop an open mind to see the wealth of skill beyond politics) then things will work out better for the future :) You can't change what's happened in the past, just have to work on bringing things back together again...

Also i think forums lead to this kind of attitude more... So much diversity and skill, yet there are many people who let their ego and greed rule when on the boards... hiding behind a screen-name and saying whatever they like. It's not really the best atmosphere to discuss things, but the good far outweighs the bad imo :)

just my thoughts,
david

shaolinboxer
07-11-2002, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. The good does certainly outweigh the bad.

MA Fanatic - Ueshiba died in 1969, just 4 years before bruce lee died. They were teaching at the same time....an interesting thought. As Aikido died with it's founder, so JKD died with Bruce Lee. There are aikido practitoners that can actually do aikido I am certain (as I have had aikido done to me, and I can throw a punch or two). I suspect most of them have a wide range of combat and training experiences.

Mr Punch
07-11-2002, 07:45 AM
Shaolinboxer. The politics is the reason I haven't graded in seven years. It ****es me off cos I want to teach so I want a decent grade before I do. I want to come back from here with sandan, so I can just set up anyway. I really like my teacher and some of his seconds back home, but the organisation is run by pure ego and power mongerers. With bad aiki!

I'm soooo glad I found a nice non-political art like wingchun...:rolleyes:

MAFanatic, now I see where you got your name... I often find fanatics to be wrong :D

Oh and DZ and aiki and SD, me too, as you know.

dezhen2001
07-11-2002, 07:52 AM
Mat: i agree (on all accounts)! Sad when that kinda thing happens :( It doesn't matter what style, people always screw things up...

david

shaolinboxer
07-11-2002, 08:07 AM
I hope we all retain this wisdom as we take out turn as the old men :).

dezhen2001
07-11-2002, 08:11 AM
I agree, but hopefully that'll be a long time in coming! I need to actually get half decent first lol :D

david

shaolinboxer
07-11-2002, 08:18 AM
HA! Don't we all. Ain't it a son-of-a-gun when you wake up and realize that the best guys in every style have been training for decades, rather than years?

dezhen2001
07-11-2002, 08:21 AM
very true! but i'm in no rush :) I just don't wanna wake up 1 day and see i'm 79 and thing dang, now i'm the old bloke everyone looks up to (little do they know...)

:D

david