PDA

View Full Version : Yo Bagua guys!

IronFist
07-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Anyone ever used one of these Bagua dummies before?

Click me!! (http://www.taijiworld.com/Articles/Bagwazhang.html)

Just curious. Do you feel it has complemented your training? Is it comparable to a WC dummy for a WC guy? Just curious, cuz I think it looks kinda cool :)

IronFist

blacktaoist
07-11-2002, 06:20 AM
Yo, The dummy look like something I saw out of a shaolin martial art movie, I think the movie was called shaolin vs lama. Anyway The dummy looks good to work out the Ba Gua Zhang palm techniques. But they should have put a wooden leg on to the dummy so that a Ba Gua Zhang practitioner can train their leg techniques. Thats the only thing I see missing on the dummy, but in all the dummy looks cool.:rolleyes:

Justa Man
07-11-2002, 01:53 PM
yea, why wouldn't it have legs??

dedalus
07-13-2002, 05:03 AM
I'm presently learning the form for this dummy from my teacher. There are kicks to the central column that in some cases represent kicks to the back knee... I suppose one rationale for this design would be that bagua fighters often keep their front leg empty (or close to it). Anyhow, it's a training device like any other, and I suppose the footwork and technique that is trainined by the set is more important, on balance, than having a front leg represented. The key principle from the set seems to be that if you're not moving from dantien, the strikes and kicks are quite painful to execute... so it trains body mechanics more than anything (like a great number of bagua exercises).

The video is very cool (and I think an adequate learning tool for those with bagua foundations) if anyone cares to follow up. It's a good set.

PLCrane
07-23-2002, 05:56 AM
I've used an iron dummy that looks a little like this one, and what I've learned about it is in agreement with everything that dedalus said., including kicks to the central column. I also think it helps to have a good teacher to make sure your using the correct alignments. It's real easy for strong guys to muscle it, but that's true with the Wing Chun dummy, too.

Justa Man
07-23-2002, 10:16 AM
I suppose one rationale for this design would be that bagua fighters often keep their front leg empty (or close to it).

They do?! :D