PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Pavel's kettlebell video?

IronFist
07-11-2002, 12:37 AM
What do you think of it?

IronFist

Lung Hu Pai
07-11-2002, 10:26 AM
hey Ironfist, I'm sorry this is offtopic, but I was wondering if you would mind if I asked what kind of workout routine you're doing right now and whether you periodize (?) your workout routines?
Thanks.

ewallace
07-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Which one do you like best?

Kempo Guy
07-11-2002, 02:59 PM
They are all good in different ways. I really like BPA (Bulletproof Abs) and PtP (Power to the People) for general fitness etc. These two tapes were invaluable when I first started looking at functional strength exercises.

But in terms of what I use on a daily basis the RKC (Russian Kettlebell Challenge) and BPA have been the most valuable, since I do Kettlebell and AB workouts everyday.

If anyone is looking at getting Pavel's material I would recommend getting the videos first (especially for RKC and PtP), then follow up with the books.

KG

Kempo Guy
07-11-2002, 03:11 PM
IronFist,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.
I got the RKC video first and it really shows a lot of the 'technique' behind lifting the KB, which may be hard to figure out by just reading the book. It has most of the exercises that is presented in the book and he shows movements in detail. Personally I don't think I would have done the movements correctly if I only had the book... Anyway, the only thing the RKC video don't have is 'made-up' routines, it only gives you general guidelines (just like in PtP). But as you know, the routines are easy to get from the DD forum.

Hope this helps,
KG

Ford Prefect
07-15-2002, 07:11 AM
I have it, but I think it's a waste of money as was every other Pavel thing I bought after PTP, BPA, and BS. I'd say the only exercise really worth learning is the snatch/swing. Anything else is better to use more main stream means of gaining strength. I like the odd lifts like the bent press, but you get more out of it with a barbell.

Rolling Elbow
07-15-2002, 08:58 PM
You know..the only reason they have thousands of book reviewers is because SOMEBODY needs to critically acclaim a writers book. Pavel is overrated, his books are low on content, they recycle, and attempt to make up space with little humorous Soviet analogies..Power to the People blew. I learned one thing, to focus on my grip when i lift or do chins...that's it. That sure isn't worth the 60+ Canadian dollars it costs to get the book. I haven't looked back to him since.

Never go for hype. Nothing he says is a "russian secret"... my instructor had a good laugh when he read that and Fury's stuff. For seasoned martial artists who have studied not only combat, but physical conditioning for decades, that stuff is child fodder..nothing more.

IronFist
07-15-2002, 11:07 PM
Yeah. I thought PTP was good, though. It contains a lot of knowledge that most people don't know or bother to think about (like forcefully tensing the abs during deadlifting).

I was just wondering about the KB stuff because I was thinking about getting one just for variety's sake. I thought seeing the video would be a good intro to it (and much cheaper than buying a KB) so I wanted some opinions on it.

IronFist

Suntzu
07-16-2002, 06:45 AM
could u substitute a dumbbell for a KB when doing the exercises... or is the KB 'specifically designed' for the exercises...

Kempo Guy
07-16-2002, 08:28 AM
IronFist,
If you're just curious about the KB workouts, there are plenty of info on the web. You can even go to Scrapper's site and see pictures and descriptions of snatches using dumbbells.

Personally I've found the KB's to be one of the best overall conditioning tools I've used. Some may not believe the hype, but I urge anyone to try the high-rep ballistic KB workouts at least for a week and see... I bet you'd be amazed.

Suntzu,
Yes, you can use dumbbells in place of Kettlebells. There is definitely a difference between using a DB vs. a KB's but using a DB works just fine. I only got a KB about six months ago and used DB's for about three months prior to it. The primary difference is the thickness of the grip of a KB as well as the displacement of weight that a KB provides,which makes the workouts a little more challenging.

Personally I found PtP pretty useful, probably because I never really worked out with weights before. I actually got it after I got the RKC and BPA. I don't think Pavel's stuff is necessarily ground breaking (I know this now...) but it's valuable for someone who wants to initially get into strength training without having to wade through all the junk out there...

Personally I prefer using bodyweight exercises, and found Scrapper's stuff to be pretty good.

KG

Ford Prefect
07-16-2002, 11:04 AM
Kempo Guy,

I've used a full KB routine, KB mixed with bodyweight/odd object stuff, and KB mixed with weights. Each for well over a month, and I'm far from convinced. Like I said, the only lift that I feel has any merit is the high-rep KB snatch. It's a pretty good fat-burning/cardio exercise and can build a strong posterior chain. I never had much fat and am very active, so the fat-buring/cardio means little to me, and there are a lot better ways to build one's posterior chain. Just my opinion. ;) I liked Pavel's first stuff, but now he's just a mess of recycled material and contradictions. My KB is now used as a door stopper.

Kempo Guy
07-16-2002, 12:24 PM
FP,
To each their own I suppose... You should post your KB for sale on DD forum. I'm sure someone would love to pick it up.

I do agree with Pavel's contradictions though... (you're referring to the hi-rep snatches vs. low rep Ptp right?)

Personally I've found that it's one of the better tools for all around fitness when combined with bodyweight training (pistols, pull ups, hindu pushups etc.). I train MA about six times a week (Grappling, JKDC and TaiJi) so I guess I can say I'm fairly active. It's helped my grappling (especially) a lot. I don't have much time during the day (I work 12 hour days) so the KB's are pretty fast and easy way to get my strength and cardio conditioning (along with my jump rope and BW training). Also since I despise weight training, it's a fun alternative.

Later,
KG

ewallace
07-16-2002, 12:34 PM
No need to post it on DD. I'll buy it if it's a 1 pood KB. :)

IronFist
07-16-2002, 09:24 PM
**** you beat me to it. I was gonna say if it's a 1 pood I'll buy it.

If someone wants to sell their KB video I'll buy that. I just want to see it. Then I'll sell it to the next person or whatever.

IronFist

IronFist
07-16-2002, 09:26 PM
They censor d-a-m-n now?

IronFist

Ford Prefect
07-17-2002, 05:20 AM
It's a 1 pood'er. I'd only sell it local since the shipping would be a pain. (Boston)

I'll sell that KB video though IronFist. $25 ;)

Ford Prefect
07-17-2002, 05:32 AM
Kempo Guy,

There are plenty of other contradictions on his part. The last two books I got, Relax into Stretch & Fast and Loose, had me disgusted with rehashing of material and his contradictions. One book: "never do this. it is dangerous" book 2: "this is an essential part of the program" (same exercise)

ewallace
07-17-2002, 06:22 AM
if IF doesn't want it I will buy it from you.

Kempo Guy
07-17-2002, 07:37 AM
Ford Perfect,
I don't have the two books you mention so I missed those... That's pretty weird that he has such contradictory statements. Only stretching material of his I've got is his "Beyond Stretching" video. It's ok but nothing too revolutionary.

BTW, other videos you may want to check out (although not necessarily related to strength) is the rmax.tv (ROSS) stuff.
I use 'Warrior Wellness' on a daily basis and it's increased my ROM as well as helped my overall flexibility. It also ties in well with their other videos which are specific to martial arts.

KG

Ford Prefect
07-18-2002, 10:58 AM
I liked Beyond Stretching, but every single other stretching/rom book he put out after is 95% rehashed material from Beyond Stretching. The other 5% is the stretches he said were too dangerous to do in Beyond Stretching. I don't have Warrior's Wellness, but I have the Zdorvye tapes and Grapplers Toolbox. Good stuff for the most part except the Zdoryve seems to be aimed at couch potatos trying to do something with themselves.

I have a pretty comprehensive library of fitness-related tapes and books. The best gains I've seen from all of them are Westside methods and using Pavel's periodization plans from PTP. I'm going to try some of Ian King's bodybuilding stuff in a month though since I lost 20 lbs last month because of Lyme desease.

IronFist
07-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I lost 20 lbs last month because of Lyme desease.

Holy ****! Are you ok now? Was it a from a tick bite? That's the only way I know of to get Lyme disease.

IronFist

Ford Prefect
07-19-2002, 07:03 AM
Yeah. I'm at 90% right now. It sucked for a while though. I had a 101-103 fever for 6 days straight, my jaw swelled so much that I could barely open my mouth, I slept 18 hours/day, I was just severely fatigued and weak, I had headaches so bad that the light from the tv hurt to look at, my neck stiffen'ed up so bad that I couldn't move my head because of the onset of bacterial menegitis (a side effect of lyme), half my face was paralyzed so bad that I had to tape my eye shut to sleep because of bells palse (yet another fun side effect of lyme), etc. I'd recommend always checking yourself for little deer ticks whenever you leave the woods. There the size of poppy seeds (tiny) and like to hide behind your knee, behind your ear, and in your butt crack. Most Lyme patients never remember having a tick on them but it must be on you for 2 days to transmit lyme. Sweet, huh? Caught it in time though.

Kempo Guy
07-19-2002, 08:21 AM
FP,

Sorry to hear about your bout with lyme disease. Good luck with your recovery.

In terms of Warrior Wellness, it's primarily a tape on joint strength and flexibility (from what I've seen so far). Similar to drills seen in other tapes by RMAX. Since I haven't seen the Zdrovye tape sets, I can't compare them. I have a few other tapesets by them as well (Fisticuffs, Shockability and I have IOUF on order). Good stuff!

I'm looking at doing some BB stuff as well to gain some more mass now that I've lost quite a few lbs. primarily by doing KB's (along with rope skipping). I may try to do a 'Bear' type workout from Pavel's PtP as well. It'll have to be after my vacation which start at the end of next week... :D

KG

Ford Prefect
07-22-2002, 07:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Scott's Zdorvye and Warrior Wellness stuff is along the same lines. Grappler's Toolbox is pretty cool because he just moves like a snake on the ground. Pavel actually published a 18-week long body building program in EAS Supplement Review #4 which I was thinking about trying. I've done the Bear routine before without many results. My strength actually went down from when I was doing sraight PTP.

Kempo Guy
07-22-2002, 08:16 AM
I never got the EAS (MM) supplement review. What does the BB program in it consist of? Is it similar to Bear at all?
I even looked at trying the BFL program a while back... either way I'll have a couple of weeks to decide on what routine to do so I'm going to dig around a little bit before I make the final decision.

IronFist
07-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I've done the Bear routine before without many results. My strength actually went down from when I was doing sraight PTP.

I guess that would be because Bear isn't as strength oriented as PTP. Did you get any bigger?

IronFist

Ford Prefect
07-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Iron,

Nope. Didn't gain much weight, but I didn't alter my diet much. I've since learned I almost have to double my regular calorie intake in order to gain a pound. :)

Kempo Guy,

It's quite different from the Bear program, which is similar to German Volume Training. He uses 20 rep squats as the staple for lower body for a good 14 weeks. Other Pavel-ish exercises are the side press and kb/db snatch. The periodization schemes he has are quite interesting and I'm interested in seeing how it pans out. Wow, over a half year of body building! I have no idea what's come over me. ;) Back to westside after that though!

Kempo Guy
07-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Speaking of periodization, there's a pretty good article on it in the latest MM magazine by Pavel. You may want to check it out.
I've never done any type of Bodybuilding programs, as my focus has always been on endurance/stamina (cardio and strength).
Looking to bulk up a little bit (now that I've lost some weight! :cool: )

Anyway, please share you results as you embark on the BB program. If you have any insight to effective programs I'd be very interested in hearing them.

KG

Ford Prefect
07-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Sweet. I'll check that article out. How I hate buying fitness mags... ;) I'll let you know how everything pans out. I'm only doing the BB stuff because I want a quick and dirty way to gain back my weight. I used to love just doing endurance/stanima stuff too. The stuff I used to do would have me puking in about 5 minutes now. Hindu Squats were my problem though. They may be good for some, but they royally screwed up one of my knees. If I do any hindu squats now, I'm hurting for a week after at the very least. It's a shame really. My knee has gotten a lot stronger since I started squatting heavy though, so I figure I'll just be power lifting the rest of my days. Oh well! I have fun playing basketball and mountain biking for my stanima now, so there's a trade off. :)