PDA

View Full Version : choy lay fut dragon techniques

RAIN
07-11-2002, 10:30 AM
in the choy lay fut system i'd found 2 principals dragon techniques :

- lok kiu ( in siu muy fah kuem , when you use your fingers like hooks or like snake's teeth )
- the other one is showing in 5 animals and fut ga jerng , is the palms toguether movement striking with your fingers to the soft zones )

my question is in this 2 movements which paert of the dragon body are represented ?

there is more dragon techniques in siu ping kuen , fut ga jerng , tuet jin kuen , 5 animals or siu sup gee kow da kuen ?

Fu-Pow
07-11-2002, 11:13 AM
I thought those were snake techniques....along with the snake head technique in Ng Ying.

RAIN
07-14-2002, 10:50 PM
in his new tapes tat mau wong introduce this techniques like dragon techniques .
i 'd thinked tath the technique with fingers pointed together was called some like " the child praying to buda " .

extrajoseph
07-15-2002, 12:08 AM
That is "tung-ji-bai-fut". It is not a dragon technique, just a "bia-jong" (an arranged posture) to work either as an opening, an end or an inter-mission between movements.

Eddie
07-15-2002, 02:04 AM
Rain,
As senior Joseph said, the technique in the beginning of NgYing (as far as I know) is called pai fut (praying to Buddha).

I also wondered about the dragon techniques in NgYing before, and I was told that instead of actually mimicking the physical attributes of the animal (like in Mantis, eagle, even fu jow or snake in clf), it has more to do with the mental or spiritual persona of these animals. For instance, you have to get the whole feel of the animal when you perform this move (Tiger is furious and strong, snake is fast and sneaky etc). This way, many moves can actually take on the shape and feel of dragon for e.g. There was a very interesting article in the April 2001 issue of Kung Fu Magazine (the animals issue) where Master Li Siu Hung and Instructor Joe Keit explains this in more detail. The article cover many techniques from NgYing and will answer your questions. In the same issue, there is an article from Master Tai Yim (Hung Fut) which also explains this from a different angle. Master Yim’s article even went into how to apply these animal attributes to your daily life. I do recommend you try get hold of the articles. They are really great.

I’ve been working on NgYing for some time now. Although the movements are pretty easy to perform, I am still struggling with the ‘feel’ of the form. I have learned that the more you do a form (any form), the more you mature in the form. Eventually the feel for the form changes, and it is as if the whole form takes on a different shape. That’s probably why it takes so long to master kung fu. Just like joy baat seen, I think that NgYing is probably amongst the more difficult forms in terms of ‘look and feel’. That video you gave me, there are two persons who did the NgYing form (the master and his student). Although both performers were pretty amazing, you could clearly see that the master has much more training experience in that form than the student did. In my humble opinion, that instructor really brought out the feel of the animals.

BTW I met a Taiwanese lady who stayed in Argentina for many years. She told me about a CLF master who taught somewhere in the capital BA a few years back. She said that his CLF was very good, but she couldn’t remember any more detail. He was either Wu or Ling or Ming (or even Ng because he was from South East Asia and Cantonese), and he owned a deli shop of some kind. She said that he didn’t teach commercially, but she knew he had some students. Sorry, I don’t have any more detail Might be good to check it out. The Lady I met is a TCM Dr and she teach Taiji. She is a second generation student of Chen Man Ching, so if she was impressed with someone’s kung fu, he must be pretty good.

ed78
07-15-2002, 08:10 PM
Hey whats up i am a lkh student. In fut gar jerng and Siu muy fa, the finger strikes are snake techniques (spelling?) I may be wrong but i don't remember hearing about any dragon in fut gar or sub gee. Sow Choy or CLFnole could tell you better. later

RAIN
07-16-2002, 09:58 PM
thank you ed for take the time to ilustrate so much differents points of wiew . i'll going to try to get that magazine , but since this january no one foreign magazine are coming to my country . before that i'd always can get them ( inside kung fu and kung fu magazine ) but now not .
you really surprise me with the info of a clf master in my city . i'll going to check it out , but the chinatown of buenos aires is very small and closed to the white people . the chinese comunity is from taiwan mainly and don't talk too much with us . is hard to try , but i think this time the prize is too much .
please see if you can get some email or info about the tai chi master you'd meet . maybe she can give more detailed info .
because that chinese names are very popular .

thank you