PDA

View Full Version : old yang form=guang ping?

TenTigers
07-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Is the Guan Ping Tai Chi the same as Old Yang Form-meaning is it the closest thing to Yang Lu-Chan's original Tai Chi? Does it have fa-jing and silk reeling within the forms? Is there a cannon fist set? There are many who claim to have 'old yang form'-I was taught a yang form, then taught a 'discharge set' -which was actually extracted moves with fa-jing. I was told that once these are learned, they are put back into the set, and that would be pretty much the 'old Yang form". Hmmm, definately sounds like a good idea, but I'm not so sure how close it is to actually being 'old yang form'-if there even is one anymore. Trouble is, too many generations have gone by, too many people study under untraceable students of ghosts. Supposedly Yang Ban-hao lineage is original Yang, and Guang Ping assoc. is teaching this. Does anyone know anything?

Nexus
07-11-2002, 11:30 PM
That style of learning sounds very ideal and efficient. It is along the same lines as I have considered in regards to implementing fa-jing into a form that has had them removed. Once your body learns it, it should not make much difference. What movements does your discharge set consist of and any other details regarding such?

ddh
08-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Yang Pan Hou taught Wang Jiao Yu who taught Guo Lin Ying who taught a number of students including Chiang Yun Chun who presently teaches at the Wen Wu school in El Cerrito Ca. I suspect that a number of sets were developed during the years that Yang Lu Chan taught and practiced. However, Guang Ping has kept canon fist movements, jump kicks and a rounded leg stance like the present Chen. Master guo used to demonstrate dispersing quite a lot. Fa Shing is a natural development in the set and can be readily seen during it's practice. Master Guo and Master Chiang have said that such understanding develops naturally over years of study and practice. the universal standing post exercise of guang ping is the main route for understanding dispersing energy. As for what is being taught as old Yang, I have no idea. Like I said earlier, it's possible a number of sets were developed by Yang Lu Chan. All I know is that guang ping is a difficult taiji to learn and takes years to develop. :)