PDA

View Full Version : Tai Yim & Hung Fut

Lost_Disciple
07-12-2001, 07:45 AM
The only job that looks available to me after I graduate next month is with the NSA just south of Baltimore.

I want to start training in kung fu again once I get there. Except for doing some san da with my friend from Taiwan the last 3 months, I haven't really been training since I moved back up to school here in Lubbock last August.

I'm a big guy (thick- 5'10 225). I don't mind putting in the work to get lighter on my feet, but the idea of learning pretty forms with acrobatic moves doesn't thrill me. I'd like to be a fighter. I'm a hard worker, though sometimes I hate to train alone.

Everyone's recommended trying to join Tai Yim's school in southern Maryland (Kensington) as it's close to where I'll be living and a terrific school. I even met an Assistant Instructor through my Si Bok and picked up a business card at Taiji Legacy. I checked out the website and from the description of the cirriculum it looks to be exactly what I've been looking for.

I was wondering if anybody else had any input on the school, the style, whether or not the school and it's training seem to match my goals, and from my small descrption of myself whether or not I'd make a decent student there

bean curd
07-12-2001, 11:46 AM
you couldn't go wrong with either.

i have to say it has been over 20 or so years since i have heard of tai yim, however if he is anything like the old days, in hong kong, then not much would have changed.

in those days they did many fighting, and in one particualar occassion, there was a match between taekwando from korea and hung fut pai of tai yim school in hong kong, which was very popular.

they did very well and came out on top of the full tournement.

tai yim lineage is without question, and depending on how you wish to move and fight, depends on whether the style will suit you.

either way, you will know that what you are learning is hung fut pai. if he has changed his style of teaching to suit western ideas, i cannot say, but still well worth the time and effort on your part to go and learn.

only time will tell.

the history is quite long, so will not bore you with details, i am sure tai yim school will have brief history for you.

hope this has helped

RENEGADE_MONK
07-12-2001, 01:58 PM
I agree with Bean Curd
Tai Yim has one of the best schools in the area, back in the mid eighties when he was in Silver Spring running Flying Dragon Imports, he used to accept open challenges at his school. so yes you will definately learn how to fight, but then its all up to you and how you apply what he teaches

Good luck

wisdom mind
07-12-2001, 03:44 PM
nuff said

Sow Choy
07-12-2001, 05:14 PM
Great Sifu, Great school!

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/0009.jpg

Drunken1
07-12-2001, 07:59 PM
If you want to see a Tai Yim in action, (it's a small Part in the movie) Rent Honor & Glory. His Stances are about as solid as they come, and also to Joe Keit, Did you get that Tape I sent of the Movie Duel of the Seven Tigers With Sifu Lee Koon Hung in it? I'll be ordering the Iron Fan Tape Soon. The Drunken Form and the Buddah Palm form are excellent!

Lost_Disciple
07-12-2001, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I was actually thinking of quitting kung fu for a while and doing Muay Thai and BJJ- so I could get some more fighting experience. Basically, I figured by doing that, I could get my elementary education in fighting. Then I was planning on going BACK to kung fu for my PhD- because I feel the techniques, as well as the theories of kung fu are really advanced. It was looking to be kind of a roundabout way of doing things. I'm glad I probably won't have to do that now.
Thanks.

Sow Choy
07-13-2001, 12:54 AM
Drunken 1

I never got the tape, but we have that movie "Duel of the Seven Tigers". The one we don't have and are looking for is a movie Lee Koon Hung starred in, it's called "Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut". I asked him about when he was still alive, and he tried to get a copy a long time ago, but the movie company I believe went out of business. I'm glad you like the tapes! There is more in production, so check the website.

One time someone called me and said they saw the Hung Sing movie in the theater and filmed it with a video camera. If anyone has knowledge of this movie please contact me. Thank you!

Lost Disicple
Don't worry about the style, check out the teacher. That is more important. I've seen BJJ teachers who aren't very good, that doesn't mean the style isn't good, just the teacher. Our school we love to fight. San Shou, takedowns, grappling, etc... So it depends on the teacher and what they focus on.

Unfortunately alot of Kung Fu teachers get lost in the Hocus Pocus type stuff and lose their directness. So it's really hard to find a good Kung Fu school, especially when everyone makes up their own style and call it Kung Fu. There is no 1 International Association for Kung Fu, unlike Tae Kwon Do for example.

stick with Tai Yim, he's produced so many good fighters and competitors. He's awesome!

Peace everybody! :)

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/0009.jpg

Lost_Disciple
07-13-2001, 10:40 PM
Well I wasn't trying to say that any style was better. I was just trying to say:

a. that kickboxing has a fewer number of techniques, less to work with means I can become more comfortable with what I'm working with, so I can concentrate on the other aspects of fighting, cuz the techniques you use are only one aspect.

b. kickboxing does a real good job of a formal process from training the techniques to teaching you how to use them in the ring with the footwork, whereas a lot of the kung fu I've seen leaves a lot of that up to student's discretion, or holds it off until the later levels.

From what I saw on the schedule on Tai Yim's web page, he addresses both of these concerns. If he's an amazing teacher and lineage holder of a style that I may love more than the other kung fu styles I've trained, then that's just icing on the cake- lots of icing. hehe

I'm not trying to imply that any style is better or that my old teachers were in any way inadequate. In fact, I'm just trying to imply that my learning and quest for understanding as a student was lacking, if anything. I don't think my mindset was in the right place, so I thought switching to a smaller cirriculum might help me get the right focus. I'm glad I won't have to do that now.

This is going to be something like the 6th or 7th instructor that I'm looking to train with for more than a day or a seminar, and the third school I'm looking to seriously stick with for the rest of my life/training. I've been with all these different teachers and schools in the last 8 years since I was first introduced to kung fu. I'm not a flakey student, I hate training on my own if I don't know that I'll ever return to a particular school, but when I'm a regular student I'm dedicated. That's the sh!tty thing about having to move every 6 months to a year; hence my screen name. If I get this job, I'm not gonna move again for a long time.

Thanks again for all the advice everybody. I'm a lot more confident about relocating now.

Stranger
07-14-2001, 01:03 AM
Isn't there a heavy emphasis on using the left-hand side in Hung Fut? (ie. initiating attack with left-hand, holding weapons preferably in the left-hand, etc.)

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

phoenix-eye
07-14-2001, 01:30 AM
Yup - Hung Fut is left handed strike system. I haven't studied it but have read about it.

There's a school in Glasgow - I hope to try it one day soon if I can.

Lost_Disciple
07-18-2001, 08:43 AM
Find out if I'm going to be working in Baltimore on July 24th.

Not trying to be picky here, but I was looking for a bit more information about the style. I appreciate the info thus far.

Does anybody know more about the Hung Fut style and how the training, fighting, and forms compare to say Longfist, Ching Woo, Tam Tui, northern Eagle Claw, or northern mantis?

I know it's supposed to be a left-handed style, but that doesn't mean I'll have to become left-dominant, left-handed, or anything, does it?

Thanks.

bean curd
07-18-2001, 01:02 PM
lost disciple hahaha, no you don't have to become left sided.

hung fut pai is a hybrid system which comprises two styles - hung gar and fut gar.

hung gar (hung family fist) is from hung hei gung.
fut gar (buddah palm style)is from wong shou shan.

so both gar come from siu lam gee.

it is said that the combination of both came through hung hei gung.

the left side is to do with principle of the location of the heart and also for disruption of the mind of your opponent, much like how a southpaw affects the balance of an orthodox fighter.

the basic concept of the hybrid system is to bring the gung chi of hung gar into balance with the yau chi of fut gar.

although both styles have this balance in their own right, it is the joining of the art that brings the balance, not only in the usage of short to medium range of hung style, but also the long range aspect of fut gar.

to talk of the two styles and then the principle of the merging would take sometime.

the style of hung fut pai however is became known and was transmitted to canton (guangchau) by bai mo tung.

hung fut arrived in hong kong through a sixth generation player by the name of hung chiu sing.

it is from the third son hung yiu chung, that tai yim was taught, so like i said before from this lineage, tai yim cannot be questioned.

hope this has helped

[This message was edited by bean curd on 07-19-01 at 04:11 AM.]

Lost_Disciple
07-19-2001, 06:48 AM
Yah, your post helps a lot actually.
BTW- you can write as much as you want on the theory and I'll read it all. I got another week till I find out if I'm moving and another month until I'd move if I am.

Just a few more questions...well tons actually: :)
As far as the stance goes (from the few pictures I've seen)- the left foot forward and keeping the left hand busier seems very similar in logic to boxing. If the power's coming from your right, I always thought it was a good idea to keep it back so it wouldn't get trapped.

Talking hand sets. I know that they probably don't have the Hung Gar hand sets (as the lineage did not pass through Wong Fei Hung); and i'm assuming the hand sets are unique to the style, but incorporating techniques and theories from both styles right?

How about groundwork? Do they teach you how to move when you're on the ground in addition to throwing and joint locks?

Do you know how many forms are in the cirriculum? I don't know of many other Hung Fut sifus so I'm thinking it's not a system that's relatively quick (10 years or less) to learn the cirriculum and that you spend the rest of your life mastering; or is it?

Hope none of these questions are bothersome or rude, I'm just real curious. There's a large part of me that wants to be a fighter, and according to the website, the schedule/cirriculum can accommodate that. There's also a large part of me that would someday eventually like to be a sifu of a system; maybe to open a school or just teach my kids. Of anything though, I'm tired of moving and I want a style I can stick with for a long time. After all this bouncing around I want a style I can call my own. I'm hoping I'll like the style, that I'll fit in at the school, and that the instructors welcome teaching me.

Lost_Disciple
07-19-2001, 05:51 PM
kickin this back up top. :rolleyes:

Lost_Disciple
07-20-2001, 12:45 PM
one more time

bean curd
07-20-2001, 01:35 PM
now others may come in on what i am going to say about right and left, but i really am not interested in discussing.

leftside/rightside forward.
in the scheme of things particularly in the ching era and before, the concept of having the left side forward was seen to be extremly risky if not totally dangerous.

by bringing the heart side forward (leftside), you where basically seen as "presenting the heart", and a dangerous move in actual fighting.
it is for this reason understanding left side work of hung fut is important.

most chinese arts keep the rightside forward, it is more common in western society to bring the left side forward,again a change for western thinking and again by what you have said, mainly due to power and of coarse the art of boxing, which must be said is not a martial art, but a fighting art, if you know what i mean.

hung gar forms
in my hung fut lineage we have hung kuen forms, and if i am not mistaken tai yim also does hung kuen forms, i am not sure if he teaches them, but he does know them, one of the variations though, if so slight is when we sit on sei ping ma left foot goes out first as to right foot of hung kuen.

hung fut forms.
now this is where there is variation from some lineages. hung fut in general has quite allot of forms, both body and weapon, covering the range of the arts 18 weapons, with some lineages having special to there lineage.

they are mixed and varied, long and short, fast and firm, or fast and agile etc, so has something for everyone.

groundwork
yes hung fut has this, hung fut has a particular likeing towards opponents that kick, this in particular comes from the fut gar with the palm work and the low kicking skills, and from the hung kuen side with the stance and claw usage.

well rounded usage
hung fut pai covers the three areas, short - medium and long range, again the blend of the two gars permits this.

Lost_Disciple
07-20-2001, 09:04 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate it. :)
I'm just itchin to get to Baltimore and start training already. hehe
I should know by Tuesday or Wednesday if I'm going.

honorisc
07-23-2001, 04:12 PM
A schedule that might be different from their website's, yet more current if not as current, hopefully.

10-11 a.m.Saturday-Tai Chi

11-11|30 a.m.Saturday-Children's Basics I

11|30 a.m.-12 p.m.Saturday-Children's Basics II & III

12-1 p.m.Saturday-Basics

1-2 p.m.Saturday-Handset

2-3 p.m.Saturday-Weapons:Adult's & Children's

3-4 p.m.Saturday-Lion Dancing:Adult's & Children's

4-5 p.m.Monday/Tuesday/Wednsday/Thursday/Friday-Basics

5-6 p.m.Monday/Tuesday/Thurday/Friday-Handset; Wednsday-Weapons

6-6|30 p.m.Monday/Thursday-Children's Basics I

6|30-7 p.m.Monday/Thursday-Children's Basics II & III; Tuesday/Friday-Children's Weapons

6-7 p.m.Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday-Parent's Class; Wednsday-Basics

7-8 p.m.Monday/Friday-Basics; Tuesday-Basic Sparring I; Wednsday-Handset

7-9 p.m.Thursday-Intermediate Sparring I & II

8-9 p.m.Monday/Friday-Handset;Tuesday Basic Sparring II; Wednsday-Tai Chi

9-10 p.m.Monday-Weapons; Wednsday-Advanced Tai Chi; Friday-Instructors' Class

Theoretically, these are the classes, their days and times of day.

Calling mid-afternoon East Coast time (three o'clock or after (before four might be nice, as that's when classes start (weekdays). A telephone number to use- (301) 949 - 9299. If you make it to the area the address (useful for taxi or public transportation information-travel routes~trains and busses). Address:10730 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington, MD 20895.

If you do go there, I would have to make an effort to watch you train. To see someone from the forum would sort of complete things as far as, are you people real~.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Lost_Disciple
07-23-2001, 10:50 PM
Many thanks for the scheduling info!

Today's the big day that NSA decides if they're gonna hire me; and they'll let me know tonight or tomorrow.

Once I get all my bills paid off, I'll be going as often as my schedule and salary will allow.
I'm wondering if I should try to reschedule my shift so that I get off at 4 and can make the handset class at 5, and come back later in the evening- it's not important now, cuz probly for the next six months I'll be doing just the basics class.

I'd be happy to meet you when I get there. It'd be cool to have a friend in the area. If I go, I won't know anybody there except my dog (still trying to figure out how to get her there).

On a side note; do you got any recommendations on where I should move when I get there? Like what neighborhoods are decent for renting a reasonable 2 bedroom house with a small backyard for my dog?

Anyways, hope to see you in a month or so. :)

WongFeHung
07-24-2001, 12:44 AM
can you name the eighteen weapons? I was always curious.

honorisc
07-24-2001, 10:41 AM
I No_Know Baltimore~. That does not mean that I can't bring you thinking that gets you what you need.~

There's a person called Kenpolee. You might find him in one of the martial arts forums. He's from Baltimore~ and might know the areas to go and not go. If you have the addres of your work area to be...(this is a bit in depth but,) you could do a yellow pages business search (or anywho) if that does not return a map, then mapquest.com the address. Take the street names around it to identify the neighborhood. Go to a major cities chatroom for Baltimore(MSN has one) ask in there about neighborhoods to live in and you have the streets now and if you printed it out or have it on one of the windows you have up while chatting you could refer to streets and follow where they are telling you about(You could also use an atlas or buy a map of Maryland or of Baltimore, or photocopy some-such from the library). Then go townhouses or houses to buy or rent for a newspaper online, local in Baltimore, or a real estate (realtor's) website and search for something in Baltimore.

I would help what I am able~ and see you in about a month. We could celebrate the new acquaintenceship with a game or so of pool. See you then.

honorisc
07-24-2001, 10:41 AM
I No_Know Baltimore~. That does not mean that I can't bring you thinking that gets you what you need.~

There's a person called Kenpolee. You might find him in one of the martial arts forums. He's from Baltimore~ and might know the areas to go and not go. If you have the addres of your work area to be...(this is a bit in depth but,) you could do a yellow pages business search (or anywho) if that does not return a map, then mapquest.com the address. Take the street names around it to identify the neighborhood. Go to a major cities chatroom for Baltimore(MSN has one) ask in there about neighborhoods to live in and you have the streets now and if you printed it out or have it on one of the windows you have up while chatting you could refer to streets and follow where they are telling you about(You could also use an atlas or buy a map of Maryland or of Baltimore, or photocopy some-such from the library). Then go townhouses or houses to buy or rent for a newspaper online, local in Baltimore, or a real estate (realtor's) website and search for something in Baltimore.

I would help what I am able~ and see you in about a month. We could celebrate the new acquaintenceship with a game or so of pool. See you then. :~>

Lost_Disciple
07-24-2001, 09:02 PM
That sounds great! Thanx.
I've done a lot of online searching for a place to live and I'll do more once I'm 100% sure I'm going (2 more hours til close of business day and still haven't gotten my e-mail grrrrrr).

Pool would be fun!

honorisc
07-24-2001, 09:56 PM
Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick...flees from the office and heads for Baltimore!? (in a monthor so~).....WELLL?.........weeeeeeee're waaaaaaaiIIting...But, so are you. That's fair. :)

Lost_Disciple
07-25-2001, 03:51 AM
STILL no word.
I'm calling tomorrow morning, first thing.

honorisc
07-25-2001, 05:01 AM
Rest easy.

Lost_Disciple
07-25-2001, 10:06 PM
They said it's not looking good for me to start working until October.
I mailed in an e-mail to find out if I've pretty much got the job, or have to wait the results of more processing.
I'm still not 100% sure that I've even got the job.

I'm going to try to send out some applications to other agencies in Maryland, specifically dealing with the computer crime investigations of OSI (Air Force).

I'll let you know as soon as I find out anything.
Wouldn't trade much for my life right now.

phoenix-eye
07-26-2001, 01:28 AM
For anyone who is interested there is a very small amount of general info and a lineage for Hung Fut style on www.hungfut.co.uk (http://www.hungfut.co.uk)

I don't know how accurate this is as I don't practice the style.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

RENEGADE_MONK
07-26-2001, 02:48 AM
Lost_Disciple,

Keep your head up you'll get the job!! ;) , I work with the Airforce "Andrews AFB" in MD what is the exact position you are looking for? maybe I can keep an eye out for you and see what I can find.

Also being that you are interested in Hung Fut
you may also want to take a look at Jow Ga. Its a similiar system like Hung Fut combining Hung Gar and Fut Gar, Jow ga combines Hung Gar, Choy Ga, and northern Bak Sil Lum. If you like drop me an email hopefully I can help you with your search

Lost_Disciple
07-26-2001, 05:37 AM
RENEGADE_MONK
Thanks for the advice, I'll do my best. :)
I sent you an e-mail already about the job stuff, so keep an eye out for it, if u don't mind.

I've heard a ton of good things about Jow Ga.
Tai Yim just came so highly recommended though, that beyond checking out the websites of my other considerations, I hadn't studied that much into the styles. I did find the Jow Ga thread very informative.

What I've seen of Sifu Mims and the other Jow Gar teachers & websites looks amazing. There's a lot of good kung fu in and around Baltimore, that's why I've been spending so much time trying to research into Hung Fut and Tai Yim to try to make sure I'm making the best choice for me. There's just so many choices though. :) I'll explain more in my next e-mail about that situation.

Thanks

RENEGADE_MONK
07-26-2001, 04:11 PM
:cool:

Lost_Disciple
07-26-2001, 09:18 PM
In class now so I can't access my e-mail.

I was curious about the animal forms in Hung Fut. Are these different animal styles available that certain people of certain body types can specialize within the style, like is sometimes encouraged in Hung Gar?
Or are these different animal styles more about teaching practisioners different types of power generation that they can use as necessary?

I've got a feeling it's a mix of both.

About the horse stance, from the pictures i've seen it looks a bit wider than other styles I've tried. Is this normal for the style or just particular practisioner preference?

Lemme know if these questions get bothersome. :)

RENEGADE_MONK
07-26-2001, 10:53 PM
LD,

from my knowledge Hung Fut's system has ten animals Horse,Elephant, Lion, Monkey, Eagle, and the normal Five. as far as your question concerning specialising on a certain animal only the school can answere that. I do know that Hung Fut is a hard/dynamic system like Hung gar. its power is developed thru the practice of low stances and Isometric exercises. Since this type of practice relies on external muscle strength, its considered a hard style " Hard Jing "

Whether Hung Fut uses the Five Elemental Energies, or combining the Elements and the Animals...Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, and Water to manifest its power as Hung Gar does ...I don't know.

[This message was edited by RENEGADE_MONK on 07-27-01 at 02:23 PM.]

bean curd
07-27-2001, 03:51 AM
i would not consider hung fut to be a gung chi art. i suppose each to their own on this matter, all ones perspective really.

with the poem of fut gar that brings the attention of the player to the white tiger, flying dragon, white chicken and also the plum flower, enveloped in the hung kuen concepts, this brings out a concept though similiar to hung kuen but is not hung kuen.

this is where the joining of both gar bring hung fut its own flavour and concepts

although the ma are the same in training low and strong like sei ping tai ma, ting ma, gung chi ma, there are then those of the art of fut gar, tsi ng ma, nui tse ma etc.

the five forms of fut gar also bring a flavour which permits hung fut to differ greatly from hung kuen, sam kuk sao, luk tat hong, tai sap tse to name some.

tai sap tse the form itself is nothing like hung kuen and is played within hung fut bringing fast large flowing fist and speed, thus the soft is seen.

with the kicking skills of fut gar also in the system of hung fut, low sharp and fast, this just only enhances the strong low stances of hung kuen.

the added enhancement of the cheung which is only minor in hung kuen, but plays a large part in hung fut when comparing the two also enhances the yau chi.

then we have the heartside faceing, which when understood has softness written all over it.

hung fut is a very differs hybrid system that is a cousin to hung kuen and fut gar, however is a system of its own right, again it is the amalgamation of the two great stles that make this an interesting differs and adaptable art.

Lost_Disciple
07-27-2001, 07:18 AM
bean curd
Thanks for the reply. I learned a lot, but I gotta admit that I didn't understand a lot of it. With nothing to do the next 2 months except sit here and twiddle my thumbs, I think I'll start trying to define some of those terms I didn't understand.
Whatever they mean though, from your description, it sounds pretty good. :)

honorisc
07-30-2001, 02:57 AM
It wouldn't hurt to work towards that horse-riding stance that you could keep a sword on for five minutes. Also, strengthening the abs and over all strengthening with flexibility/stretching stuffs might not do you harm for getting ready for Hung Fut (Fot).

Lost_Disciple
07-30-2001, 09:59 AM
Ahhh good idea.
I started working on horse already.
My knees are a bit sore from hindu squats or weighted squats, but i'm sure it'll work itself out. 2 months should be enough to hit 5 or 10 minutes.
Probably work on my flexibility and pushups too.
Been doing medicine ball training & leg lifts on the roman chair for a while for abs.
Probably maintain the western training I been doing to stay in shape & just supplement with traditional stance & flexibility training.

honorisc
07-30-2001, 01:39 PM
For general conditioning that sounds pretty great. I recommend that your time be spent on chin-ups or pull-ups for arms instead of push-ups. This would give you a healthy conditioning that not everyone does. And might help you better do push-ups the Hung Fut(Fot) way. It is my comprehension that doing standard type push-ups might be certainly something. But that, that might not prepare you for Hung Fut(Fot) push-ups. Every thing you mentioned sounds like good conditioning stuffs.

If you ever did Lying Tiger or Sleeping Tiger (some have translated it Crouching Tiger :-)), this particular variation of push-up might be more productive. Your thinking sounds great. And that work-out plan of yours, very good :-).

Lost_Disciple
07-31-2001, 12:03 AM
For the Hung Fot push ups are you talking the cobra or cat stretch? It's like a pushup, but you start with your butt high in the air, dive your face forward, and then arch your back?
If so, then I've had a lot of practise with these. In my old school, we used to have to do these on our fingertips. I'm okay doing it with my palms, but not my fingertips.

Pull ups are already a big part of my "western training" regimine; which includes
M- cardio (jogging & martial arts training)
T- Upper Body
.....Pullups
.....Dips
.....Bent Rows
.....Military Press
.....Barbell bicep curl
.....tricep extensions
.....ab work (lately roman chair or single person medicine ball)
W- cardio
Th- Lower Body
.....Squats
.....Deadlifts
.....Lunges
.....Hamstring Curls
.....Quad kick outs
.....Calf raises
F- cardio
Sat/Sun-rest

Unfortunately though I've had a series of problems since coming back off midsummer vacation and I've had a lot of difficulty completing the whole routine, especially cardio days. I'm working on it though. :)[LIST] null

honorisc
07-31-2001, 09:46 AM
Flexibility with the push-up was my concern, which is heartily ~ put to rest. Sounds ~good. :-)

From an article in the magazine that sponsors this website three issues ago was The ten animals of HungFut and their significance. RENEGADE MONK seemed to have listed them.

You'd said it came highly recommended. I was wondering where these good recommendations were comming from (RENEGADE MONK, Drunk_1, bean curd, centerline vortex.?.any others)

To both you and RENEGADE MONK, there doesn't seem to be any of the Five Elements stuff that Hung gar might have.

[This message was edited by No_Know on 08-01-01 at 12:55 AM.]

Lost_Disciple
07-31-2001, 05:09 PM
Is that article different than the Eagle vs. Eagle one: Tai Yim & Lilly Lau?

If someone else on here has the article about the animals, I'd appreciate a synopsis- at least until I get money to buy my own copy. :)

honorisc
07-31-2001, 06:13 PM
It is the issue before Eagle vs. Eagle. I would see what I could do. RENEGADE MONK pegged the animals though. According to the article, there is an order to the animals.

By the way, the usual five theoretically RENEGADE MONK meant were Tiger, Leopard, Dragon, Snake, Crane. Though he might have had them in a different order.

honorisc
07-31-2001, 07:48 PM
Mar/Apr 2001 issue of KUNGFU QIGONG:POWERS of ANIMAL KUNGFU. PP44-47,101.

I think that you would get more from reading and re-reading the actual article, but here's something. Strong tiger, Relaxed Crane. Relentless leopard. Defensive kicking horse. Powerful Dragon. Analyzing snake. Twisting- breaking lion. Powerful precise attacks from above, elephant. Buddha's palms like, wings of the eagle.

Footwork and hands are exchanged between the animals. There is a five animals set there is a ten animals set, individual animals, and the mixes. :-) Perhaps some such.

brothernumber9
07-31-2001, 08:20 PM
Just as the 5 elements are prevelant in Hung ga, so are they in Hung Fut. Most notable to my very limited knowledge in the iron tendon form. I assume its a variation of the Hung ga iron wire form with Fut ga influences but that is only a guess. I will try to verify this and clarify it later. Most non-asians dismiss buddhist and Taoist ideals and philosiphies surrounding 5 elements, harmonies, energies related to organs, so they are commonly ommitted either completely or until perhaps a student can be taught objectively without preconceived notions and objections.

brothernumber9
07-31-2001, 08:24 PM
to clarify my previous post since my grammar isn't very good. I have very limited Knowledge in Hung Fut and No Knowledge of iron tendon form other than that it exists and incorporates 5 elements etc.

Lost_Disciple
07-31-2001, 10:46 PM
Hey brother#9, don't worry about it. I appreciate the info. After many a learning session on how the elements, taoist & buddhist theories, qi, and traditional chinese medicine relate to Hung Gar & other martial arts, I'm definitely open to the ideas. I can't wait to have someone sit down and relate the theory to the physical; but I'm not expecting that for quite some years yet.

I was at Taiji Legacy in 2000 (and caught the tail end of 2001). I remember seeing you Hung Fut guys there, and my mental images are a bit different than the video clips on the web site. Is the performance team a lot different than regular class?

Any information you guys give me is just frosting on the cake. I'm pretty much sold, and am biding my time, but it's nice to be able to collect as much info as possible- assuming u guys don't mind.
Thanks!

honorisc
08-02-2001, 01:57 AM
Basically, not a lot different, my say~. The performance team seems basically made-up of students who would like to compete and participate in the handset class, weapons class or sparring classes. They, whomever, merely mentions to an instructor or one called Sifu that they would like to compete. They decide what they would like to do in the competition.

They're the same things; just told where emphasis is best for tournaments.

Lost_Disciple
08-02-2001, 04:55 AM
Oh okay I get it.

I'm doing my best to be patient til I get there. :)

A question about the horse stance- from the pix on the site, it looks a bit wider than the version I was taught before. Do you think this is just a bad pic? Should I keep practising the narrower horse?

Thanks you guys for bearing with all these silly questions. Anybody who makes themselves known to me in Baltimore, I'll make it up to yah. :)

honorisc
08-02-2001, 08:14 AM
Keep your stance as you do it.

It is likely, a finely done stance. Don't throw yourself off for an uncertainty. At least, not this uncertainty. Keep practicing your narrower than in the pics stance. My say.

They haven't been silly. I would say don't stop asking, but I could use that breath for something useful. I would think you wouldn't stop asking yet, if you had any in mind to ask, because you are welcome(d).

bean curd
08-02-2001, 12:40 PM
this stance is called sei ping tai ma.

it is a larger stance. there is nothing hidden in its reasoning, but the ma is used to bring certain strengths and designs to the player.

i totally agree with "no know", if it isn't something you have been use too or have come across, stay with what you know and undertstand.

"don't throw yourself off for an uncertainty", wise words, "no know", well done

Lost_Disciple
08-03-2001, 05:17 AM
Actually I think I'm pretty much comfortable for now. I think one of the main reasons I've been asking so many questions and trying to learn so much about the style is because, unlike Hung Gar, Wing Chun, Northern Mantis, and some other styles, there's very little Hung Fut detailed in movies, magazines (outside of the few Tai Yim articles), nor in the few demonstration tapes I've seen. The best part of that is that I go in there with no preconceived notions about what the style is or isn't. I've picked up some valuable info here from you guys which I'm sure will be expounded upon much more after I've gotten into the training.

Thanks again for all the info. I really can't wait to meet some of you in October/November. Until then I'll just try to get in shape