PDA

View Full Version : Very Odd

BAI HE
07-12-2002, 09:28 AM
AIDS Comes to Sesame Street

AP
Muppets, Sesame Street characters
Friday, July 12, 2002

NEW YORK — The popular children's show Sesame Street will introduce an HIV-positive Muppet to the gang of colorful, googley-eyed characters.

The new Muppet will debut on the South African version of the show, Takalani Sesame, this fall.

HIV/AIDS is an epidemic in South Africa, where one in nine people are infected with the virus.

The new character is said to be a female, but her name, final color and form have yet to be determined, Reuters reported.

Joel Schneider, vice president and senior adviser to the Sesame Street Workshop, announced the new character at the 14th International AIDS Conference in Barcelona, Spain, this week.

"This character will be fully a part of the community," Schneider told Reuters. "She will have high self-esteem. Women are often stigmatized about HIV and we are providing a good role model as to how to deal with one's situation and how to interact with the community."

Schneider also told Reuters that talks are under way to introduce an HIV-positive character to U.S. viewers.

In and interview with Fox News, Kemit the frog said, "I haven’t met that character yet, but I think it’s a nice idea."

Calls to Sesame Workshop in New York were not immediately returned.

In February 2002, Sesame Workshop and Johns Hopkins University announced a joint initiative to "to help improve the health and lives of children and the families who care for them in the developing world." Part of the initiative includes, "reducing the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS, educating HIV/AIDS orphans, and fostering mutual respect and understanding."

A spokesperson for Johns Hopkins confirmed the initiative and the introduction of the new HIV-positive character on Sesame Street.

In 2000, about 40 percent of adult deaths in South Africa were attributed to AIDS, according to the U.S. State Department.

Jobs at Fox News Channel. Internships at Fox News Channel.
Terms of use. Privacy Statement. For FoxNews.com comments write to
foxnewsonline@foxnews.com; For Fox News Channel comments write to
comments@foxnews.com
For the latest in sports news, visit www.foxsports.com.
©Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2002 Standard & Poor's
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

ewallace
07-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Note to self: Do NOT fornicate with muppets.

norther practitioner
07-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I saw that, AIDS and HIV are rediculous in South Africa right now....very much ingrained into the culture. Wow, sesame street, thats starting the education young, which by the #s they report prob. is a good idea.

guohuen
07-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Once again Sesame Street proves itself one of the most socially relevant and responsible programs on television.

Fu-Pow
07-12-2002, 09:57 AM
I thinks its fine as long as they don't start saying that having AIDS is "normal" and that its just a "difference" like having a different skin color. You'd be suprised what I've seen in the news lately....PC has just gone to far in some cases.

yenhoi
07-12-2002, 09:59 AM
how the **** did the muppet get aids?

muppets arent supposeto have sex and stds and kids and things like that :confused:

yenhoi
07-12-2002, 10:00 AM
sharing needles:confused:

muppets these days :mad:

BAI HE
07-12-2002, 10:13 AM
She had unprotected sex with the wrong teletubby.

Justa Man
07-12-2002, 10:50 AM
How did they get AIDS?!
C'mon, we got a Snuffaluf***us lookin for his runaway meatball. We got Oscar living out of a garbage can. We got a blue monster eating everyone's cookies. It's obvious drugs have a major role in this. Heavy drugs. And d@mn they're good!

ewallace
07-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Ever notice how slow Snuffleuphagus was? That is the long-term effects of pot smoke. Or valium.

Ground Dragon
07-12-2002, 11:19 AM
I heard they are going to say she got it from a blood transfusion.

dnc101
07-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ewallace
Note to self: Do NOT fornicate with muppets.

ew is the only one of you who has a good handle on this issue.
Now, that's scarry!

TaoBoy
07-14-2002, 11:58 PM
You know Oscar's been dealing from the garbage can for years.

BrentCarey
07-15-2002, 02:15 AM
This might shed some light on the subject:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thefed/v2/archives/17/17.6/17.6_muppets.html

HongKongPhooey
07-15-2002, 03:51 AM
he he he he he