PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to see some Yau Kung Mun

illusionfist
07-12-2001, 01:00 AM
I finally got to see some Yau Kung Mun yesterday. I got to see an empty hand form and a spear form. The empty hand form was performed by a 13 yr old boy, and all i have to say is that little guy is gonna be bad arse when he grows up. Its cool seeing a little kid that has a grasp of the whole Tun To Fo Chum concept. His teacher should definitely be commended. The spear set was performed by a little girl, also about 12-13 years old, and i was amazed at how similar it was to the hung gar plum flower spear set. It contained a lot of the same principles and also had some similar footwork. Although at times it had a linear quality that wasn't necessarily similar to anything in hung gar.

One thing i noticed in the empty hand set was there was a lot of sow choys being used. I didn't think that this was a characteristic of a shorthand system? Then again, i'm very ignorant when it comes to shorthand systems.

Peace :D

fiercest tiger
07-12-2001, 02:30 AM
hi buddy,

you didnt get the teachers name by any chance??

was the spear left handed? its called plum flower spear too, incase you didnt know!!

i love when kids learn well and can do it, wish i was 12 again.
:(

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

illusionfist
07-12-2001, 02:37 AM
Sorry, didn't get the teachers name. The school was just called "Yau Kung Moon Kung Fu School". It's in the San Francisco area. The spear form was also performed left handed.

fiercest tiger
07-12-2001, 02:47 AM
yau kung moon usa i heard there lion dances are good, i really havent seen there kung fu though.

can you explain sow choy please, maybe i can tell you what form it was by your explaination??

thanks

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

illusionfist
07-12-2001, 03:22 AM
Oh i couldn't describe the form now. I just remember bits and pieces that really caught my eye. The sow choys are scraping punches, we use them in hung gar and also CLF makes good use of them (more so than anybody else i think, haha).

[This message was edited by illusionfist on 07-13-01 at 04:01 AM.]