PDA

View Full Version : for the jow ga people?

ZhouJiaQuan
07-14-2002, 07:14 PM
"Commandant Ly Phuc Cam introduced him(jow lung) a master of Wing Chun, Trinh Hoa, and the two masters taught each other their own techniques. So the Chu Gia(jow ga) was enriched by precious elements coming from Wing Chun, that M° Chu Long(jow lung) put mostly in the advanced forms." - from site http://www.vietanhmon.org/ithieulam.htm

ive never heard this before, and am skeptical of it. what do you think? they dont mention he studied bak siu lum, and say he learned choy gar from a monk? i thought jow lung learned choy gar from the choy family and nothern shaolin from the monk?
and then the whole wing chun thing is just wierd...

peace, train hard

mysteri
07-22-2002, 12:14 PM
i agree that the history sounds a bit skeptikal, but u have to keep in mind that there was a dispute within the kung fu family about how the system should be taught. i believe it was between jow biu and another original student of jow lung. anyways, they parted ways and we have what we have today. and i think that's one ofthe major reasons why we see a lot of differences in our style. the jow ga we practice is based on what great grandmaster jow biu taught when he opened the first hong kong school. this is where grandmaster chan man cheung learned.

ZhouJiaQuan
07-22-2002, 02:29 PM
i kind of remeber hearing something about that fued now that you mention it. but dont remeber much... now i wonder how non jow biu lineage jow ga looks... is sam chan jow biu lineage?

but they are tracing their lineage to jow biu( i think anyway)
"The Chu Gia style get to Vietnam thanks to the teaching of M° Luu Phu, who was born near Canton in 1909 and died in 1971 in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). He started practicing Chu Gia style when he was very young, with M° Chu Buu, one of the "brother" of M° Chu Long"

i woudl tend to believe that M Chu Buu would be Jow Biu.
so there lineage would look something like

jow lung - jow biu(i put them both on the same level just cause)
luu phu
sui dau
tran ngoc dinh(the guy teaching now)

so i wonder why they have a different history? i could understand some lil detail here and there being different, but wing chun and no mention of bak siu lum? thats a bit more then lil details(to me anyway)

anywho its interesting and good to hear from ya mysteri

peace

(i couldnt make it sunday to paint - no car)

RENEGADE_MONK
07-22-2002, 09:27 PM
Hey guys,

Trying to disect Vietnamese lineage is like pulling teeth our system branches off significantly during/after the teachings of Chen Man Cheung when Jow Ga started branching out to the states and other countries for instance there are two that I know of two different lineages of Jow Ga in Australia (NSW) one being Randy Bennett, and the other being Andy Troung(Vietnamese),

But I agree I've never heard of there being Wing Chun in Jow Ga, but then again there was always trading of forms and knowledge between sifus which is pretty much what ZhouJiaQuan posted.