PDA

View Full Version : How much protein is in an egg?

Serpent
07-14-2002, 11:43 PM
How much protein is in an egg?

Say I have a 55gram raw egg. How much of that 55grams is protein? Anyone have a clue?

Kumkuat
07-15-2002, 06:42 AM
around 6-7 grams.

Serpent
07-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Wow, is that all?! I thought eggs were high protein foods. What's a good high protein, non-meat food then? Are beans higher in protein? It's very hard to establish what are good protein foods.

I want something for directly after training to give my body a protein boost. Suggestions?

TaoBoy
07-15-2002, 08:24 PM
Tried soy protein? Dunno the % of protein though.
Or protein bars from health food stores.

Just ideas.

Serpent
07-15-2002, 08:32 PM
You seen the price of those protein bars! They're too expensive. I just want a natural protein hit, high enough to really benefit muscles that have been worked hard.

At the moment I usually crack a raw egg into a glass of soy milk, mix it up and chug it down. Then I'll have some dinner maybe half an hour later. Perhaps I should put in more than one egg, but that might compromise the taste a bit!

Any suggestions anyone?

Crimson Phoenix
07-16-2002, 01:28 AM
Serpent, the egg white is all protein (plain albumin), so it's definitely more than 5-6 g...there are proteins in the yolk too, but much less (the yolk is mostly lipids).

Ka
07-16-2002, 03:09 AM
Hey there
Serpent I know your in Sydney so I would suggest a range of products called Vital Strength an Australian company resonably priced.Check them out at www.vitalstrength.com I would recommend Mu 2 or Mu 4.
After saying that I don't really know your interpartation of "Natural" but I take it that you are a vegatarian rather then vegan.So here's a receipe I have used.
Milk(full cream or whatever)
1x serve of whey powder mix (optional)
3 raw eggs
2 bannas
big spoon of honey
one blender
Yep pretty simple,blend it up,drink it about 40 mins after training.
hope thats of use

Yeah I know lots of you guys will rage about this,so wear yourself out;)

Serpent
07-16-2002, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the tips and hints all. That shake you describe sounds similar to something I make when I have the time, but I've never used whey powder.

sticky fingers
07-17-2002, 08:44 AM
Not all protein is the same, your body digests them to a varying degree. I think egg protein is more easily digestible than soy so gram for gram your body will gain more from egg protein. This is off the top of my head and I left university many years ago so I could be talking ****.

I used to go to an egg factory (Golden Egg Farms in Perth) where they sold 6 litres of frozen pure egg white in 6x1 litre bottles for around $20. A cheap way to go about it and you won't be getting the unwanted cholesterol from the egg yolks.

Kumkuat
07-17-2002, 09:44 AM
nah, it's better to get the whole egg, yolk and all. Dietary cholesterol doesn't affect your cholesterol levels that much.

Dragon Warrior
07-17-2002, 01:34 PM
To bad that enzymes in the yolk are denatured after you cook the egg. But anyway, kumkuat is right, dietary cholestoral does not effect the cholesterol levels in your blood, so dont be scared of the yolk, it is actually very good for you.