PDA

View Full Version : Yang Taijichuan videos

I.M. Toast
07-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Greetings again:
Can anyone recommend videos teaching the 24 and 108 forms for Yang TCJ? I am learning them from an instructor now, but I would like something to watch while I am practicing at home.

I.M. Toast

Nexus
07-15-2002, 12:39 PM
I'd recommend especially in the early stages to watch yourself and your bodies movement. Also watch your breathing patterns.

I.M. Toast
07-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Nexus:
Thanks for the reply. I do try to "watch" myself as best as I can without breaking my concentration, and without a reasonably sized mirror.
However: I would still like a video to remind me as to how it should look, and to perhaps accelerate my learning of the forms.

Thanks,

I.M. Toast

P.S. What do you mean by "Watch your breathing". Besides breathing in and out, and trying to keep it going smoothly, is there something else that I should be checking?

dedalus
07-16-2002, 02:42 AM
There's an Erle Montaigue instructional video on the Cheng Fu form that you can get from him on VCD quite cheaply. The CD also contains 3-4 minute clips from some of his other videos, and about an hour or so on push hands methods. The only way in which this might *not* be a good deal for you is that the form will probably be somewhat different from the 108 you're learning, although I believe you would still benefit from the rich information on the postures and transitions that do remain the same.

Erle is also well known for the combat emphasis in his teaching, which I gather from another of your posts is an area of interest to you.