PDA

View Full Version : Fairtex

Cipher
07-16-2002, 12:04 PM
I'm looking for a few pieces of gear. Punching mits, boxing gloves, head gear, chest protector and shin pads. Mainly for training and SanShou (I hope:) )

So me question is. What do you guys think of fairtex supplies? It would probably be Fairtex stuff or whatever I could get from titleboxing.com Title Boxing has better prices but I am wondering if the Fairtex stuff would be worth the extra money. When it comes to something like fighting and training I want the best stuff, within reason, I don't want to pay $200 for a pair of gloves. For a tourney better gear could make a big difference even just in the sense of comfort.

The main thing is for the gloves. I have a chest protector from when I was a wee Martial Artist, it is bulkier that I like. The Fairtex chest protector looks good.

another thing is the Shin guards. I can get them for $20 at Title and about $40 from Fairtex.

I also have the traditional head geard like what a lot of Karate/TKD people use, open face foam dipped stuff. Would this work for something like SanShou? I don't know how nit picky the rules are for gear. Would head gear like that found on fairtex.com give a lot more protection?

I know there are some fellows from NY that use Fairtex stuff maybe you guys/gals could give some unbiased;) input. And also anyone else who has experience with different brands of gear and web sites please post too. Thanks.

DragonzRage
07-16-2002, 12:18 PM
The prices from titleboxing you mentioned sound really good, but i'm not familiar with them so i dunno if their stuff is good quality. However, I can tell you that Fairtex gear is without a doubt pretty near top quality.

As for the headgear, if training san shou or anything else full contact I would not under any circumstances use one of those foam macho gear type things! Steer clear of that point fighting crap and get yourself a boxing headgear.

Suntzu
07-16-2002, 12:21 PM
spend good money on headgear… I haven't worn the foam dipped since I was 13… and I haven't seen anybody use them in san shou… as for gloves… I used cheap ones I got from a sporting goods store… why spend $$$ on gloves that u are gonna wear down training... i dont have a pair of 'fight' gloves yet... altho, i'm in love with the MEXICO gloves from ringside.com... i dont know why tho... i think it's just good marketing... and so far every tourny that i've been to supply gloves and they haven't been too shabby as of yet... as far as focus mitts... i would get some thai pads instead of gettin focus mitts AND thai pads... just to save a few $$$... what can i say, i'm an accountant... i'm cheap by occupation...

Merryprankster
07-16-2002, 02:29 PM
Get a decent pair of bag gloves.

Get a good pair of fight gloves.

I find the fairtex shinpads to be a little thick, myself.

red5angel
07-16-2002, 02:44 PM
Whats all this talk of pads, I thought you guys were supposed to be fighters!!!!! ;)

LEGEND
07-16-2002, 02:59 PM
I like some of the REVGEAR gloves...RINGSIDE doesn't sale head gears anymore...however they have a link to an External source. Sun Zu...when's the next B MORE san shou touney...I haven't been to one in 3 years!

MonkeySlap Too
07-16-2002, 04:35 PM
I just bought some Fairtex 12 ouncers - I'm pretty happy with the quality.

Cipher
07-16-2002, 07:45 PM
I've heard that the Fairtex stuff is pretty good but never really talked about it too much.

I know what you guys mean the foam dipped head gear is not very good, the only thing I have used it for since I was about 16 is a few times training. I forgot:D I do have a pretty decent piece of head gear, it is the one from Karate mart with the face cage. The face piece comes of with no problems and provides pretty good protection. I will still probably get a good hat from fairtex or one the other places for tourneys.

I agree with 2 pairs, one for training and one for fighting. One thing though I think it is good to train in whatever gear you are going to wear in a tourney though so have a good feel for it. Just like shooting a gun I like to shoot 500-1000 rounds to get a good feel for it before I would want to use it for self defense.

I am planning on getting two of the Thai guards too but the punching mits on title boxing are only $20 for a pair, it's hard to pass up that price.

Red,

LOL, good one.

This i sgood info keep it coming:)