PDA

View Full Version : Ng Long Tsui

mantis108
07-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Hi Tainan Mantis and Pong Lai,

On the other thread Tainan Mantis mentioned this:

"jab hook
Pong Lai,
Mantis108 has a small exercise that deals with something like this.
Although no jabs, but the punches to the solar plexus are similar when done at top speed/power.
They are coupled with two hook punches.
The defender just blocks the 5 punches and then rushes forward with his 5 punch.

It is so easy that even a beginner has a chance to feel what it is like to play with top speed and power while really trying to hit the opponent.

Even though the drill is set in the beginning with no changes allowed, but you still get hit.

That is something that always amazed me... even though I know the drill I still managed to get hit."

Actually, I got hit by the same punch all the time too doing it with Roger. ;) The man's arms are like rubber bands. You know where it is hitting, you know when it is coming and you still got hit. The drill is Ng Long Tsui (5 brother/person Punch). The name refers to the 5 punches (attack) and the 5 intercepts (defense). Some people would do this drill with blocking, which would slow down the defense, on the defense side. It is not necessarily wrong; it is just slow. So intercept with relaxation is IMHO key to gain speed on the drill. In a certain way, this drill is similar to the 3 punches line drill (Yi Bu San Chui [not the TJPM Sau Fa one] )which you showed me. So it is possible to do both the 3 punches and 5 punches interchangeablely. Also on the fourth intercept (defense), it can be or rather should be done as a Lau (grab). It is at this point that Chin Na moves can be added. But that's moving into the changes and counter stuff. The successful Lau Sao will buy you enough time to do the unstoppable punch. ;)

Warmest regards

Mantis108