PDA

View Full Version : wing chun in texas

wongfeilung809
07-16-2002, 03:23 PM
i was wondering and asking all the texas wing chun people especially the ones in san antonio, how many schools are in town, and what different lineages are represented on the board in this state.

iblis73
07-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Anyway, there are 3 main schools in town:
Gilbert Leal (who trained some time ago under Leung Ting) who also teaches some muay thai/esrcima.

Will Parker-4th technician grade under Leung Ting. Very chi sao oriented.

Nico Lahood-formerly under Parker, now with Emin Boztepe.

I would highly recomend Nico. He was my senior student and is an excellent instructor with some 7 yrs of club security work. You will do some SERIOUSLY hard training with him, but you'll also get quality chi sau.

There is also a vale tudo school, a jiu jitsu school, and a pekiti tersia school in SA.

Good luck.

txwingchun
07-16-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by wongfeilung809
i was wondering and asking all the texas wing chun people especially the ones in san antonio, how many schools are in town, and what different lineages are represented on the board in this state.
I think Iblis got them all, except for one downtown that teaches wingchun concepts I can't remember the name off hand. I think you and I go to the same kwoon.

wongfeilung809
07-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by txwingchun

I think Iblis got them all, except for one downtown that teaches wingchun concepts I can't remember the name off hand. I think you and I go to the same kwoon.

me and you txwingchun? iblis what student grade are you?

txwingchun
07-17-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by wongfeilung809

me and you txwingchun? iblis what student grade are you?
Maybe I got you mixed up with someone else on the boards. I thought you also trained with sifu Gilbert Leal.

AndrewS
07-17-2002, 08:52 AM
I met Nico last month at summer seminar. Good guy, good skills from what I could see, and producing good students. He's an excellent representative of Sifu Emin's approach and I'm proud to have him as a training brother.

Iblis- have you ever met Jannis Simonedes? He's just got his 4th TG. I train with him when he's over from Mannheim. Nico reminds me of what he must have been like as a cub- same build and very similar style of body motion. It was almost creepy at seminar as I kept catching Nico out of the corner of my eye and mistaking him for Jannis.

Later,

Andrew

yuanfen
07-17-2002, 01:48 PM
In the state? (see original question- part of it)Big state... there is Cottrell in the Ft worth area,
A Ken Chung person in Houston, Leung Ting people in several places including Austin. There is more wing chun than San Antonio.

wongfeilung809
07-17-2002, 02:48 PM
yeah, i thought there was more on the board from texas on the board., i met cottrell, cool cat. i havent heard of anything in houston, and i think there's a fong student down in san antonio as well, but i have no idea where...

DesertWingChun
07-17-2002, 03:07 PM
How about in the Dallas/Irving area ???

OdderMensch
07-17-2002, 03:52 PM
Sifu Cotrell is here in Fort worth,not to far from Irving (I used to make the drive from Plano before I moved to be closer to the school)

If you can't make it to FW then check out the Nortel Kung Fu club that some of our senior students opened.

go to www.authentickungfu.com for details on either class.

Buddha_Fist
07-18-2002, 12:01 AM
What about the Austin area? Who's teaching there?

yuanfen
07-18-2002, 07:00 AM
Jeff. Michael and others.
Jeff learned directly from Leung Ting and Kernsphect
and stayed (loyal) with them after the split with Boztepe.
You can check Leung Ting's site for all the names and locations.

jweir
07-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Sifu Jeff Webb's website is www.austinwt.com.

MDK Tiger
07-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Hey to all the DFW people on this forum. I live in Plano, up close to Allen in fact.

I have been thinking about the Nortel club in Richardson. I was all set to enroll there earlier this Summer when instead I opted for the Hung Gar academy also in Richardson. I should have known better though, I am 45 years old with a left knee that tends to flake out on me when I put too much stress on it. I think possibly due to too much tennis and Taekwon-Do when I was younger. Now after just a few lessons, my left knee is swollen, tender and probably needs to be drained. I think the low stances of Hung Gar are probably not for my tall thin frame. Maybe if I was younger and in better shape. Also even though I want a class that is very forms focused, I do think hitting focus pads, "playing hands", and so forth are necessary also. At the Hung Gar academy I have not yet observed anything other than lots of stretching (sometimes up to over half the class time), jump rope (yes there is jump rope time in every class!), and forms.

I am considering a visit to the Nortel club tonite, even if just to observe a class.

Robert

iblis73
07-22-2002, 09:07 PM
I think very highly of Nico, sorry I haven't met Jannis. I actually started training under Parker back in '93 BEFORE Nico joined the organization (he used to box and train w/Gilbert Leal.) I was a 9th student grade before I quit, but I'm now a primary level in alcohol consumption.

There's also an EBMAS rep in Austin, don't know his name though.

planetwc
07-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Isn't Grandmaster Richard Guerra of the American Wing Tsun Warrior association also headquarted in Texas?

yuanfen
07-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Didnt realize that he is still around. Austin isnt it? Had his falling out with leung Ting years ago.

BTW, I understand that in the recent quite active wing chun section of the Dallas Texas Kung Fu gathering that Tony Frighetti
of Tucson (Fong Wing Chun) took first place in the chi sao doings.

Tony also did a seminar for Patrick Gordon in Ottawa earlier in the fall. Tony was also in New Zealand not too long ago and visiteda couple of hospitable wing chun schools.

Good guy -if you ever run into him.

iblis73
07-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Dallas has a rapidly growing EBMAS group headed by graham weedon. Is Richard Guerra calling himself grandmaster now??? I wouldn't pay that guy to tie my shoelaces let alone teach me martial arts.

MDK Tiger
07-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Yeah, Mr. Weedon's class is up here in Plano, where I live. However I have not visited his class.
I did visit Son Dinh's Wing Chun class at the Nortel Kung Fu club in Richardson last week and am all set to take a couple of complimentary classes from him starting tonight.
I have lots of respect for the Ebmas system, having worked out a few times with David Lesser in Midland, TX a couple of years back, but I was really impressed with the technique and teaching style of Son Dinh and I hope I have found a home there. The Nortel club is associated with Sifu Steve Cottrell of Ft. Worth.

Robert, Taekwon-Do refugee:D

wongfeilung809
07-23-2002, 03:46 PM
does emin have a website like leung ting?
a friend of mine was learning from richard up in austin, he said it had a lot of women in the class, he liked class a lot..
anyone in austin know about the tai chi guy next to veggie heaven, on the strip?

Buddha_Fist
07-23-2002, 11:50 PM
I attended quite a while ago some classes with him, and I must say that it wasn't actually bad at all. Quite typical early 80's WT. It's quite a thing that he calls himself a 'grandmaster', but he's still better than some other WT instructors I've seen. As far as I understand guys like Steve Cotrell and Jeff Webb started once with him. Anyways, I thought he wasn't teaching anymore.

Iblis73, have you ever touched hands with him? Just curious...

planetwc
07-24-2002, 12:08 AM
]EBMAS Site (http://www.wingtsun.net)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wongfeilung809
does emin have a website like leung ting?
a friend of mine was learning from richard up in austin, he said it had a lot of women in the class, he liked class a lot..
anyone in austin know about the tai chi guy next to veggie heaven, on the strip? [/QUOTE