PDA

View Full Version : How many forms at Black Belt level?

freedom76
07-07-2001, 10:27 PM
In the southern styles such as Choy Lay Fut and Hung Gar, how many empty hand and weapon sets are generally known at first degree black belt/sash level?

premier
07-08-2001, 12:56 AM
I think it varies between the branches. But in our branch of choy lee fut there's 10 empty hand forms, 8 weapons forms, 2 two men forms, 2 two men weapons forms, 3 dummy forms, and some qi gong required for black sash.

L D S
07-08-2001, 01:24 AM
Is it going this way? Nipponizing Kung Fu with black belts or sashes?
My Sifu told me that the sash only was used for to uphold your pants.

Ling

YeutYatChapChoy
07-08-2001, 01:55 AM
What sets are required in your branch, if you dont mind me asking????

dragon shadow
07-08-2001, 10:12 AM
I don't mean to interrupt this thread, but would you please post the rest of the court transcript that you have shared with us on Grandmaster Simon of Canada? I thought that this would be the best way to get your attention! The transcript was a very interesting read, and something that I should finish. Thank you :D

CLFNole
07-08-2001, 07:29 PM
There is no black sash level in kung fu. Each style is different, some have a lot of forms others few. I practice choy lay fut and our branch has a lot of different hand forms, weapons forms, 2-man sets and a dummy form. I don't think the number of forms that you know necessarily makes you a "black sash". How well you know the forms that you do not will show how advanced you are in your style. Many students just stay at a school for a long time and learn a lot of forms (movements only) and have no understanding of the techniques and theories behind them.

Peace.

Kung Lek
07-08-2001, 10:42 PM
7,000,000 not counting the old style ones, but if you do throw them in it comes out to 7,000,108.5 and you only get to learn the other half of the last one after you reach the age of 76, or walk 50,000 miles on your hands, whichever comes first.

hee hee, sorry, couldn't resist...

It totally depends on your school/style, how many forms there are and what the requirements are at sash levels if your school even uses sash levels which is not always the case. Also, the majority of systems have grown over time and so have the number of forms in some of the more popular systems.

I don't think that there are too many systems out there that have remained completely static and inflexible and ungrowing over the years, that would kill them (the systems).

peace

Kung Lek