PDA

View Full Version : Countering the jab

TenTigers
07-17-2002, 09:54 AM
What are your favorite techniques to counter a jab? From most destructive/devastating, to no-brainers, easiset to pull off, etc.
I like phon-sao (trading hands) which is like a pak-sao to lop-dar, similar to 'tap-tap-hit' seen in Kali-it's pretty easy to learn, works whether the jab is caught or retracted so fast that you can still jam him up. I also like a 'catch' and elbow destruction-a 'gunting' in Kali, not that I'm a Kali practitioner, but we do share similar techniques. Leaning back and kicking-sidekick, front kick or cross kick all seem to work. (I got tired of this forum being too much political garbage, 'my school, your school etc" I would rather see an exchange and sharing of knowledge, wouldn't you?

yenhoi
07-17-2002, 10:43 AM
Of course the response would vary wildly depending on nearly every condition that is variable during a fight, but:

From a "strick" wing chun view point, I think the 'main' response or tool would be to stick to the jab and follow it back, make an opening, and strike.

'Against' a "decent" boxer with a "decent" jab even with your kali techniques and conditioning, you are most likely to pickup on the cross that follows the jab - still depending on the situation and all those variables of course, but more then likely you will pass the jab and pickup the cross and then go into your limb destruction. In fact I wouldent train to try and pickup a 'jab' because thats one of the things a boxer might be wanting you to do. I can see making a half-assed attempt to pickup the jab to draw the cross or make an opening or attempt to take the inside, but Id say at this point it would be my preferance to get the cross and then "defang the snake." - also, depending on what 'type' of jab it was, you have a better chance of destroying one of his legs on the cross then on most jabs. You have a better chance of getting a throw out of the cross also.

Im not saying all jabs are followed by a cross, but lots of them are. Like i mentioned, there are a billion variables in any conflict. Unfortunatly, the jab is one of the most versatile hand techniques there is - defense, offense, power, no power, advancing, retreating, circling, etc... A 'good' jab is hard to defeat.

yuanfen
07-17-2002, 12:33 PM
There are many kinds of jabs and many kinds of follow up combinations aftera jab. Each jab in the hands of a good person has its own timing- so my advice is dont depend ona formula response to the jab. A right cross aftera jab is more old and stiff
Brit kind of boxing(duck Joy. Lewis needed an American trainer Emmanuel Seward for his development). If you focus on the jab you can walk unto a hook, uppercut,,second and third jabs-different rhythms...not justa cross...can be overhand , straight or a right hook etc etc.. Work on timing. You have to time the jab

jesper
07-17-2002, 01:33 PM
A straight punch to his face.
If you get through, fine.
If you dont, take it from there :)

hunt1
07-17-2002, 05:03 PM
No counter for the jab.In fact no counter for any punch or any kick. In WC our goal is to move on intention before that to move on motion.If you take the time to analyze or recognize an attack you are slow and are reacting to your opponents timing.If this happens you will fail more often than not.You must make the opponent react to your timing.

Therefore when you sense an attack,attack.When you see motion ,move.What your opponent does is meaningless.This gets into the area of covering which has been discussed many times before.

An example of movement on motion.You see or sense motion on your right side ,you move 45 angle to right.This puts you on outside gate of opponent.You move with a high low gaun sao.this will intercept /contact any motion from your opponent from your groin to your face. This way no matter what the motion ,jab high,jab mid or low or cross etc you will intercept it.You do not ever have to see what is coming at you. Properly done with forward energy the gaun will pick off any attack. If it doesnt make contact your forward energy leads your non contact arm to be an attacking arm hence you intercept and attack at the same time.

This is just an example.

stuartm
07-18-2002, 03:29 AM
Hi all,

Would agree with Jesper - thats what your lin wan kuen is for. When i teach lwk, i teach it as a method of entry and not just a series of clean hits as this is simply unrealistic. Lin wan..is another way of bridging the gap - if your strikes dont land at least youve made contact and your chi sao skills should then kick in.

Stuart

old jong
07-18-2002, 06:32 AM
We don't want to depend on the opponent for our actions. Wing Chun is not a "self-defense" tricks encyclopedia on how to react to attack no:1 to attack no:163!...You have no times for analysing the kind of punch coming at you.I could as well be a feint to be followed by a double leg take down!
You see or fell something?...strike! Your punch is blocked?...Good! Use that contact! A few degrees of angle can change so much in defense.

stuartm
07-18-2002, 07:10 AM
Exactly Old Jong !!

Bridge the gap and then stick hands. If there is no contact we should not wait til somebody provides that contact as it is likely to be a punch in the face !!! Throw out your biu or a straight kick and feel for the opponents centre.

Take it easy,

Stuart

old jong
07-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Yes Stuart! Wing Chun demands that the fighter must be agressive at all times. What I mean by "agressive" is not that we loose it or go crasy!!!It means that WE have to put pressure,be decisive,have guts and make them pay!...Be active ,not reactive.No jumping around and posing! ;)
The simpliest things are often the more elusive! ;)