PDA

View Full Version : looking for good school in Mass.

NatGun
07-17-2002, 10:36 AM
i am in search of a good school in massachussetts, i have taken tae kwon do many years ago for a few months, and recently took kung fu from a shool in boston, but did not stay, as i did not like the curriculum. I know there is a wah lum praying mantis school in bostons chinatown. this schools master aparently has a great lineage of instruction, but as i am a large person( 6'2" 240) i have been told that praying mantis may not be the style for me. i am looking for something with alot of sparring/fighting drills, the school i recently attended felt like a ballet lesson every day.

i have been recomended to look into wing chun. i know of only one wing chun school in the boston area. a friend visited this school a few months ago, and he said that the facilities are lacking, and he generally didnt like what he saw. just wondering if anyone know of a good kempo/wing chun school in the boston area. I am also open to any sugestions as to a good style for me. I know a certified tai chi master, but unfortunately he does not activly teach anymore, he insists that Tai Chi is the ultimate style, but unless you can find an instructor that will teach you the complete system with sparring and push-hands, i will be in the same situation i was in at the other kung fu school, 100% forms and no sparring or functional knowledge of fighting whatsoever.

even if you cant provide help with a specific shool, any help with a style to learn will be greatly appreciated, i have tried to read up on the different styles but i am still a little clueless.

jun_erh
07-17-2002, 12:20 PM
I go to a place in Needham where I live. Needham is next to Newton, I don't know how well you know the area. Anyway, it 's a TKD school during the day but on wed and fri nites and sunday at 10 it's what they call chinese submission fighting. It's just basic streetfighting. Mostly painful chin na and punching drills, etc. I've been going for like a week but am vrey impressed so far. the guys in the class are real tough! The place is called carrasco martial arts or something on 850 higland ave in needham. There is some Muay Thai stuff around as well. good luck.

NatGun
07-17-2002, 12:48 PM
TKD, meaning tae kwon do?

4 Dragons
07-17-2002, 05:47 PM
White Crane in Chinatown,
Hung Gar in Newton Highlands,
Tai Chi Praying Mantis in Avon,
Yang Tai Chi in Chinatown.

Praying Mantis is fine for your size, the school in Avon is run by one of the most senior practitioners in the world. There is also the senior most student of the previous Grandmaster of Pa Chi in Cambridge.
Hope that helps.

4 Dragons

jun_erh
07-18-2002, 12:30 PM
I would not recommend hung gar mentioned here. that particular school is very soft.

4 Dragons
07-18-2002, 02:16 PM
I believe there is a "harder" Hung Gar in Quincy. Where is Eagle Claw when you need it?