PDA

View Full Version : The "Arts" in Martial Arts . ..

Kope
07-17-2002, 01:29 PM
In another thread the analogy between martial arts styles and music came up. A bunch of people jumped on the analogy and it quickly became appearant that quite a few people have some musical training as well as martial arts training.

So that inspire the question - what of the fine arts are you martial artists trained in or participate in? Do you feel that this training and experience helps your martial arts in any way? If so how?

Me? Well, I'm a musician, a painter, and an author. I've written a few poems and songs as well. While I've never acted, I do love the theatre - but my training there is limited to being an audience member.

I think my training - particularly learning quite a bit about jazz improvisation (believe it or not - there's theory behind all that stuff :) ) really helps me to "think on my feet" when it comes to martial arts.

I think the training as a painter helps me understand spacial relationships and harmonies in a way that positiviely influences my fighting as well.

How about the rest of you?

red5angel
07-17-2002, 01:35 PM
Hey Kope, check your PM.......

old jong
07-17-2002, 01:40 PM
I play Jazz guitar and some tenor sax and enjoy chasing galaxies,clusters and nebulaes with my telescope.
There is more than fighting in life.In fact I love to practice my Wing Chun but I would simply hate to be forced to use that skill.

guohuen
07-17-2002, 01:50 PM
I play guitar, (mostly slide) bass, flute and drums. I'm a vocalist.(mostly ballads)
Hey Old Jong, you ever go down to Stellofane? I have friends that go every year. Haven't been myself yet although I plan to. One of my friends makes his own telescopes.

ewallace
07-17-2002, 01:52 PM
I played guitar in a metal/punk band years ago (shows at the Gateway in chicago and Sir Donalds in Downers Grove for you locals). Anyway, I learned that an electric guitar (especially the pointed end) is an effective croud-control weapon. That and always have a friend watching large objects(amplifiers) that could possible fall over on top of your head when the crowd gets out of control and the stage isn't very high.

HuangKaiVun
07-17-2002, 04:59 PM
I play solo jazz guitar (no bass, no drums), and I try NOT to get too hung up in theory.

I just make stuff come out the way I hear in my head.