PDA

View Full Version : leglocks in bjj

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-17-2002, 02:00 PM
man i feel like a fu ckin idiot asking this, but the dude i work with has been pretty insistant that he's right.

he told me that any joint manipulation below the waist is frowned upon in bjj, and that i could download all the clips i want of the gracies and wouldn't find him doing a leglock.

so i immediately went to sherdog but for some reason the clips weren't downloading right now.

anyone know of other sites that would be likely to have gracie clips?

Merryprankster
07-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Non-twisting locks are legal. Lower body submissions USED to be kind of frowned upon, but much less so today.

SDriver
07-17-2002, 02:50 PM
Non-purists have been porting in leglocks from sambo for a while now.

Purists still kind of hiss at it... kind of like showing up to a judo tourney and shooting for double-legs every time. Just my experience.

yenhoi
07-17-2002, 03:39 PM
about a 2 months ago I started going to a nearby bjj academy once a week to roll.

The first day we did this round robin thing, were you get in a circle of pairs, and the outside circle rotates every minute. roll 1 minute, rest 1 minute, switch, roll, rest, switch.

I was asked to stop using leg locks - was told later that the newer guys would have problems not tapping soon enough, and generally they like to stop wrestlers from using the same move over and over and over.

With the guys that were 'better' or 'older' i didnt really heed the warning much, but they were much better at defending thier legs, and not just sitting on the mat in the guard position waiting for me to jump over them or attack thier legs.

moral of the story is that its alot easier to hurt people when training leg locks etc.

LEGEND
07-17-2002, 04:38 PM
The gracie guys have no problem escaping leg locks...higher level white and blue belts can easily get out of them...but they are frown upon cause of the immediate danger factor! Your friend is talking about the HEEL HOOK prob. The HEEL HOOK is the most dangerous leg lock cause once u feel the pain...it's tearing! I have used it early on...and have accidently injured numerous peeps. I no longer use it in my sparring...but I still practice the tech.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-17-2002, 07:18 PM
**** . .. im glad i didn't tell him he was an idiot.

i just kinda acted like it's gonna have to be proven bud cause im pretty sure you're wrong.

gotta fess up to it tomorrow.

Brad Souders
07-17-2002, 09:49 PM
In the book written by Royler and Renzo they show a couple kneebars.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-18-2002, 12:54 AM
so are the leglocks generally not done at all except on rare ocassions, or is it more of a in practice but not when sparring kinda thing?

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-18-2002, 12:58 AM
like eyegouges!

SDriver
07-18-2002, 05:14 AM
We practice kneebars, heel hooks, etc., but always with the caveat to tap as soon as it's obvious the tech is set, not when our pain threshold is met, so as to keep our kneecaps from flying across the room. By the time your knee hurts badly enough to tap, it may be too late.

I wouldn't call it "rare" to practice leg techs, more along the lines of "occasionally and very carefully."

And beginners are discouraged from leg and foot locks because of the potential for injury (esp. coupled with 'tard strength) and the tendency for rolling to degenerate into a foot-grabbin' match.