PDA

View Full Version : What styles would you like to spar with practitioners from?

KC Elbows
07-19-2002, 10:20 AM
Here's my list:

BJJ- for obvious reasons, plus I think I could learn a lot on from the experience.

Hung Gar- to see how similar our southern kung fu is.

JJJ- for similar reasons to BJJ

Pa Kua- cause it's so cool.

Chang Style Tai Chi- to see how they work their throws

Baji- Cause I don't really know much about it.

Weapons:

Kali- Despite the fact that their practitioners hijacked my thread earlier today, it is a cool style, and I'd like to see more of their weapons work.

Kenjutsu/do- Because they go full out

Pa kua Weapons- Did I mention pa kua's cool?

WuDang sword- Cause it's cool(kind of repetitive, I know)

apoweyn
07-19-2002, 10:24 AM
This reminds me of when I was in college in Maryland.

Just kidding.

Basically, I'd like to spar with good representatives of the various types of sparring. Grappling, someone who's good with their hands (boxer, for example), someone who's good with their feet (taekwondoka), and obviously someone who combines these attributes. You can learn a lot from the concentration on one of these things. And you can learn a lot from someone with a good grasp of them all combined.

Stuart B.

jun_erh
07-19-2002, 10:35 AM
any one of the soft styles. Out of curiosity

yenhoi
07-19-2002, 10:39 AM
I will sparr anyone.

BrentCarey
07-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
Basically, I'd like to spar with good representatives of the various types of sparring. [...] you can learn a lot from someone with a good grasp of them all combined.

No pun intended? :)

rubthebuddha
07-19-2002, 01:07 PM
bjj, muay thai (but i'll make sure i wear my shin guards), all sorts of the other wc families, and hung gar for the heck of it.

MonkeySlap Too
07-19-2002, 01:11 PM
I like sparring against the following, because they offer the chance to fight against tough, seasoned foes:

Muay Thai

BJJ

Sombo

I've fought a lot of people, but I'd like to spar with KC someday so I can learn about 6 elbows.

But most of all, I like sparring Chung Moo Quan masters because they are so d@mn easy to beat.

Of course, all of this is mute, as I've been told I need to lay off on the fighting or face permanent damage to my jaw. I have an implant, and the surgeon said no more blows to the head if I want to keep it in good shape. Anybody else hear something like this? It's a big concern, as I enjoy playing. I'm older now, but there are guys in the UFC my age and still fighting...

KC Elbows
07-19-2002, 01:34 PM
That's the sort of news I don't like. I'm extra careful about injuries now: after sparring, even if I don't really get hit, I take it easy on my body til I'm sure.

One of these days I'm gonna have to come out there and have a kung fu day with you guys.

fa_jing
07-19-2002, 01:42 PM
We'd like that!! P.S. you still haven't posted in my beer thread. :mad:

ewallace
07-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Well, there's beer, and then there's Zima. That explains why Fa Jing.

KC Elbows
07-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Actually, I just read your reply like a minute ago on the pot thread, so there.:p

Fred Sanford
07-19-2002, 05:06 PM
I'd like to spar some of those 6 elbows people. I hear they can't fight.

OdderMensch
07-19-2002, 07:56 PM
:D

KC Elbows
07-19-2002, 09:10 PM
So, is a troll where no one bites still a troll, or is it just lame?:p

SevenStar
07-19-2002, 09:59 PM
just lame

Mr Punch
07-20-2002, 08:00 AM
Any good Chinese sword style: to test my katana!

Muay Thai and boxing: cos they're always fun!

guohuen
07-20-2002, 09:46 AM
I like to spar with people that practice styles I haven't seen much.
That would be mostly, Pancration, Chen style Taiji, 6 Elbows, BJJ, Southern Mantis, Hapkido, Ninjutsu and others.

Liokault
07-20-2002, 10:54 AM
BJJ i really need some ground fighting skills.

If any one near oxford can ground fight and wants to teach some guys on an informal basis then drop me a line.

TaoBoy
07-21-2002, 07:20 PM
BJJ.
Xing-yi.
Ba-gua.
Wing Chun.

apoweyn
07-22-2002, 08:10 AM
brentcarey,

Originally posted by BrentCarey

No pun intended? :)

nope. not intended. but very funny. :)

in truth, it's the guys that get a grasp that undoubtedly offer me the most trouble right now. in college, we had a club that was a hodgepodge of different styles, with some people that had no experience at all. i remember sparring my friend dave, who i had been teaching. he got frustrated with getting kicked, so he tackled me. and i had no idea what to do. that was the first wake up call.

stuart b.

monkey man
07-22-2002, 08:58 AM
I'd be really interested in sparring against a Choy Li Fut practitioner.

zen_celt
07-22-2002, 09:33 AM
I like sparring and will spar anyone who can give me an a good match and/or I can learn from.

A few choice styles to spar(assuming the practicioner is competant-sp?):

Shaolin-they have an incredible rep and I'm curious.

Eagle Claw- good locking

Muay Thai-good opponents

Wrestling/BJJ- always had fun and trouble against them.

Dragon-To my knowledge, I've never met a Dragon stylist and I'm very curious about this art.

-ZC