PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Teacher in Surrey

alpen
07-19-2002, 10:42 AM
I'm looking for a good kung fu teacher/school in Surrey in England, I don't really mind what style as long as the teacher is good, but ideally I would like to study a southern shaolin style. I'm able to travel about an hours drive away.

Any help is much appreciated.

PQS
07-19-2002, 02:17 PM
read Combat!
I'll give you more information tomorrow when I have sobered up there is a school in Epsom although I have no first hand knowledge of it
I'll post the website address Saturday lunchtime ish
regards
Pete

NPMantis
07-20-2002, 03:11 AM
Hey mate,

Tru the school search on www.bccma.org.uk or if that brings you no luck run a search of these forums for surrey or some other places near to you, I'm sure people have posted school information near you recently.

Good luck!

dezhen2001
07-20-2002, 04:44 AM
imo your best bet would be to check out the back of Combat, or the BCCMA link that was already posted...if you're looking for Internals, you could try http://www.taichiunion.com

I'm sorry i don't know any schools around Surrey,
good luck :)

david

PQS
07-20-2002, 06:47 AM
there is a shaolin school in Epsom www.namyang.co.uk
the instructor is Iain Armstrong and his phone number is 07771627292
I do not have any knowledge of it but they feature in Combat most months
good luck
PQS

Liokault
07-20-2002, 06:57 AM
Ian Armstrong is a great guy but I would stear well clear of the BCCMA

Colin
07-22-2002, 06:11 AM
Hi Alpen,
If you get this months edition of Combat, (July) there's a CD from NamYang showing them demonstrating some form work and chi gong.
I'm not a great fan of the breaking concrete on your head stuff, but I suppose it's flashed up for demo.
Ian Armstrongs "Tiger/Crane" style would give you a pretty good spectrum of training with a soft crane style also taught.
Only thing is they all wear these funny trousers with swirls on! (Bit too hung gar for me) lol

Seriously though, you could do alot worse than train with them.

Colin.............

Axiom
07-22-2002, 06:26 AM
I train in Surrey, with Zheng Dao Lo - http://www.zdl.freeuk.com. The site for the Surrey area is http://www.ancestralmountains.com, but it's a bit incomplete at the moment, although it does have the correct class timetable.

[ edit ]: Hmm, seems the Ancestral Mountains site is a bit messed up at the moment :)

monkey man
07-22-2002, 08:51 AM
You should maybe check out Master Leon Jay's Small Circle Ju Jitsu school in Redhill and Leatherhead. He is one of the most skillful martial artists I have ever seen, no-touch knock outs aside...

www.smallcirclejujitsu.co.uk

alpen
07-24-2002, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies,
I might go to an Eagle Claw school in Maidenhead run by Sifu Julian Dale. They seemed good but I'd prefer to do a different style.

If anyone knows of a good school/teacher in London/South East England of a southern style like Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut etc, please let me know.

Again thanks for all replies.

long arm
07-24-2002, 01:00 PM
As mentioned above Iam Armstrong of Nam Yang has a good full time school check his web site for details.
If you are looking for Hung Gar then Contact James ( jim ) UGLOW
First floor
499 High Street
Woodford Green
Essex
IG8 0SR
I Think he still uses 0836 665509
He also teaches Yang tai chi, It is a full time school and he is a good man. He studied in Hong Kong with the late CHAN hon chung who was the Chairman of the Hong Kong Chinese Martial Arts association. He still visits the old school regularly.
Or if you prefer southern praying mantis then Paul whitrod has a school in leyton. I have not got the details to hand but I have his nos somewhere I shall post them.
That should keep you going for a while. All the above are good solid teachers with a lot of experience and are good people who will be happy to assist you.
Good look