PDA

View Full Version : Spine alignment in Choy Lay Fut (and Kung Fu in general)

Fu-Pow
07-17-2001, 03:35 PM
Learning two arts makes you think about this kind of stuff a lot.

Spine alignment is emphasized in Taiji but not so much in CLF. I've noticed that because the footwork in CLF is quite different than Taiji that you have to lean forward into you movements a little bit to keep the back straight and everything in a alignment (I'm thinking specifically of bow or dragon stance). The other option is to bend the back leg more so you are more erect. For a more extreme example of what I'm talking about think of the drawing of Lam Sai Wings Fu-Hok form, he is is seriously leaning forward and his back leg is almost totally straight in bow stance. Seems like this puts strain on the back of the neck because if your neck is in alignment you'd be looking at the ground, so you have to look up. Any thoughts on this?

I've noticed another difference is that Taiji keeps the shoulders dropped, but CLF uses the muscular power of the shoulder as a kind of follow through.

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

[This message was edited by Fu-Pow on 07-18-01 at 06:42 AM.]

nospam
07-17-2001, 03:48 PM
Being a bak hsing player, my lineage emphasizes our movements more like your comments regarding taiqi. My lineage emphasizes the importance of spine alignment throughout a technique, especially at its ending.

Granted, due to the nature of some techniques, maintaining an errect spine is nigh impossible during energy transference, but feasible after recoil depending on what might occur next. Full extension is pivotal, but its application must be understood.

Just another perspective.

nospam.

bean curd
07-18-2001, 01:27 PM
the principles of tai chi and hung kuen or choi li fut are similiar.

the line is still there just not as straight up and down like tai chi.

with the principle in the lam tsai wing you mention, this is also to do with the du meridian, and the chi flow.

like all things, it may look different and cause concern of a principle from one style to the other, but unless you actually understand the method and technique of the posture, misunderstanding eventuates.

hi nospam - how you going, must be thong time soon your way, take care

Fu-Pow
07-18-2001, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply bean curd. That is kind of what I was getting at. It seems like things in the upper body follow a lot of the same principles but because the foot work in CLF (and in hung gar to some extent)is narrower you must tilt the upper body slightly foward. I'm not sure what you mean by Chi flow could you expand on that statement a bit. Thanks in advance.

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

sui-fuw
07-19-2001, 02:24 AM
you know fu pow choy lee fat isn't all that good.
cold fighter eh?from a gentleman?
yeah right,you lot can do this,your too slow.by the time you do this,2 hits,you being hit and you hitting the floor.

nospam
07-19-2001, 02:27 AM
Yo! beancurd. How's thangs, bra?

You bet. The weather's great. :cool: So are the sights. Time soon to step back into it, though. Trade in my 7 iron for the gim ;)

Stay cool.

CannonFist
07-21-2001, 03:37 AM
Not all Taiji maintain the vertical spine alignment. Wu style Taiji actually has the slight lean forward. In fact, I think at the beginning stages it is easier to feel the alignment of the spine to the force generated from the groung/legs when the posture is sligtly leaning forward.