PDA

View Full Version : Applications of Sup Ji Kow Da

Fu-Pow
07-17-2001, 03:22 PM
Does anyone know the "real" application for the hook hand in Sup Ji Kow Da? If you don't know what I'm talking about...the move originates from under the elbow of the leading hand, then hooks upward and outward and then downward. I haven't been able to think of a good one for this, but it must be important because its in the name of the form after all ie kow=hook, da=strike. Thanks in advance....

Also, I've yet to think of a solid application for the grab/punch in Sup Ji. This move originates with the hand behind the body, then arm swings up near the top of the head, as you the arm continues its arc you grab and then the move finishes in a fist in front of you. Its seems like you could do a lot of stuff with this move grab, punch straight out, hit with the forearm or do a kup choy type move. Any ideas on the "original" usage.

Thanks

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

[This message was edited by Fu-Pow on 07-18-01 at 06:29 AM.]

alecM
07-17-2001, 03:54 PM
Fu-pow from the combination you described your Kow Da form is different from the version I have learnt. In our schools version the hook technique is a two-hand hook witch is executed after biu jong. The sequence in our version is right hand biu jong then right turning stance (heun ma) with the two-hand hook then kick with the left leg followed by a left hand poon sow block then right hand double chap choi (yum chap yung chap).

Fear not the man who has learned one thousand kicks, fear the man who has practiced one kick a thousand times.

Fu-Pow
07-17-2001, 04:20 PM
Sorry, I don't know the terms "poon sow" or "heun ma". Could you describe them in a little more detail. It sounds like your form is different. But I can't tell if the idea is still the same.

Fu-Pow

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,

Sow Choy
07-17-2001, 04:25 PM
Hey Fu-Pow,

What's up buddy? Can you give me the name in Chinese of the first move (hook) that you were talking about? Is it Chum Cue?

The grab you are talkin about, is used obviously for a grab, but the main point is the twisting of your arm while executing, and keeping the elbow out deflecting a punch as you shoot in to grab or even punch.

Hope that helps. Try and describe the first move, maybe describe the moves before it. Our sup gee is the same form.

Peace brother! :p

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/0009.jpg

Fu-Pow
07-17-2001, 04:34 PM
Sorry, my Chinese names aren't very good. I'm working on it. The technique I'm talking about shows up a couple of times in the form. It also shows up in Siu Mui fa. It is usually proceeded by "bung sao" (ie low crossing forearm block). In Siu Mui Fa it is proceeded by kum sau.It usually executed in cat stance. Is that any help?

Fu-Pow

-Lee Koon Hung,

Ray
07-17-2001, 05:42 PM
That part is it in the begining of the form? Chung Kiu to the knee with the left hand in cat stance, chung kiu to the chin lever, right cross stance bloquing with a tiger claw, qwa choy with the right hand turning back double palm block to the mid section and , step back double palm block to the head close in standing position??

alecM
07-17-2001, 07:07 PM
Fu-Pow
In our school, Poon Sow is a large downward circular block covering the whole of the body. I believe some schools refer to it as Poon Kiu. Huen Ma is the name we give to the twisting horse Nau Ma.

Fear not the man who has learned one thousand kicks, fear the man who has practiced one kick a thousand times.

Sow Choy
07-17-2001, 10:32 PM
Fu-Pow,

I am pretty sure the move you were talkin about is Chum Cue. The one in Plum Flower in the beginning.
1. Bow
2. Step right into say ping ma
3. Turn into gong ma
4. left cum jerng or cum sao
5. cat stance (dew ma) Chum Cue (Hook Block)

Chum cue is for blocking a kick or punch and works similar to Chin Lahn. It can block, hook, grab or be used to attack while defending.

Many of the forms begin with chum cue in the bow. Example - Fu May Dahn Do (Tiger Tail Broadsword)

What other names have you all heard for this move? Just like English, there are several names for the same movement, it becomes confusing.

Alot of Southern Styles have this technique. Very good and easy to use once you get it down.

Take care CLF brothers!

mysteri
07-19-2001, 07:47 AM
yeah, jus like if u've seen old school WWF and WCW. sting(WCW) had the "scorpion deathlock" and brett "the hitman" hart had the "sharp-shooter."
THE SAME EXACT TECHNIQUES!! i used to get a chuckle out of that..sorry guys, i jus had to add that in there ;o)

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

Sow Choy
07-19-2001, 04:54 PM
Mysteri,

That is funny! But alot of moves do have silly names or names that have a meaning behind them.

Even better is how some new students refer to moves before they know the names, but that is a whole other topic

:p

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/5_29_2big.jpg