PDA

View Full Version : Lien Bu Quan

Longquan
07-20-2002, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know of any online video clips or photo sequences of Lien Bu Quan (Lien Pu Chuan, Linked Step Fist, Longquan, Dragon Fist) form? I would like to compare versions. Thanks for your assistance.

longquan88@hotmail.com

SevenStar
07-20-2002, 05:04 PM
I saw one a few months ago - I'll see if I can find it

SevenStar
07-20-2002, 06:02 PM
good news and bad news. the good news is that I found it. the bad news is that he now has the site password protected for some reason. even if you register for the site, the section where the form is will deny you access to it. Maybe you can email him and ask him for access.

www.chinahand.com

SevenStar
07-20-2002, 06:41 PM
there are a few photos here:

http://www.shaolinlongfist.homestead.com/

Longquan
07-20-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your help. For such a common form, it is suprisingly difficult to find online documentation.

SevenStar
07-20-2002, 07:21 PM
it's difficult because of the spelling. search all of these:

lian bu chuan
lian bu quan
lien bu chuan
lien bu quan

there is another called lim po, which also translates to "continuous step" If I'm not mistaken, it's the same form.

SifuAbel
07-20-2002, 08:15 PM
try
Lin Bo Kune

Longquan
07-21-2002, 01:07 AM
I still have not found a complete sequence. Anyway, I ask about for information about this form about once a year on this forum. This form is pretty much my sole focus. Nice to see some old faces still around. Again, thanks for your help.

Crimson Phoenix
07-21-2002, 02:26 AM
The link given by Sevenstars contains the forms trained in Nanjing Longfist (specially Yi Lu and Er Lu Mai Fu, the Lian Bu and Gong Li transmitted from Jingwoo, Cha's Si Lu Ben Zha and San Lu Pao etc...).
Apparently, their Lian Bu, Gong Li, Yi Lu and Er Lu, judged from the few photos there are, were passed down from Yang Jwing Ming (he appears in the pics with the instructors).
Have you tried Yang's book "Shaolin Long Fist kung fu"?? There's the Nanjing version of Lian Bu in it as taught by Li Mao Ching.
Or maybe I could find someone to shoot pictures of me doing the form and send them to you, if you have broadband...
I also seen the Chang Su Yao Lian Bu, and it looks quite different, eventhough there are sections or isolated moves that make no doubt the forms come from some sort of common ancestor.
Hope that helped

David Jamieson
07-21-2002, 05:41 AM
There are videos available of this set. Try here through martialartsmart.com and look through the vids.

Wing Lam has a video of this set as well and Dr Yang Jwing Ming also has a book out with the form in it. As well Dennis Rovere has compiled a bit of information on this set /style.

It is an elementary introduction set to the ten core sets of North Shaolin. It teaches quite a few of the hand strikes and stepping patterns of North Shaolin. Though not comprehensive of the Bak Sil Lum style, it introduces the student to the foundations of stepping and striking.

peace

TaoBoxer
07-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Is this style related to the 1930's comando tactics taught to the Chinese guerilla units and used against the Japanese in the Sino-Japanese war??

Dennis Rovere teaches it. He learned from a gentleman in Canada, from what I remember.

SevenStar
07-21-2002, 07:00 PM
as far as I know, that style you are referring to was actually based off of the form that longquan is looking for. There are alot of combat effective techniques in it, and it served as the base for the style lian bu chuan.

Longquan
07-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Yes, I would like to see your version. I do have a broadband connection. Also, if you are interested in my version, I can send a photo sequence by the end of the week. My version is also from the Central MA Institute Nanking but it is very different from Dr. Yang's. It is from Wang Shu Jen from the first class.

Again, thanks to all for their assistance.

Longquan
07-21-2002, 10:14 PM
The common origin of this form is the Nanking institute where it was developed in 1928 or so. It amazes me the number of variations developed since then.

Longquan
07-22-2002, 12:49 AM
Reading too many posts. My above posts addressed to Meltdawn are addressed to Crimson Phoenix.

Sorry for the idiocy... :-)

GeneChing
07-22-2002, 09:37 AM
We were discussing lyrics on this form on the Shaolin forum.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12351

furiousg
07-22-2002, 04:02 PM
I am not certain this is exactly the same form that you are talking about, but the Cal Wushu Club at UC Berkeley practices a traditional form we call lien bu quan. You can find some videos of students competing with this form in varous collegiate competitions at the following addresses:

http://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/competitions/2001_collegiates/traditional
http://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/competitions/2002_collegiates/furiousg/traditional
http://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/competitions/2002_collegiates/kai/traditional

Longquan
07-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Yep, same form basically. I have never seen a version with cresent kicks though. Interesting.

Thanks for the links.

NorthernShaolin
07-22-2002, 07:34 PM
Longquan,

You stated:
'I have never seen a version with cresent kicks though. Interesting.'

The cresent kicks were added to this particular version by Fong Sifu at UC Berkeley.

Longquan
07-22-2002, 08:34 PM
The kicks seem to fit the form as an extension of the dragon steps.

I reviewed the lyrics thread. This version is also quite different from the version I do. It seems more like Yang Jwing-Ming's.

I'll try to get some pics up.

Crimson Phoenix
07-23-2002, 02:10 AM
The forms I seen in the clips bear of traditional only the name...
Long, is this version similar to the one you know? The Lian Bu I practice differs pretty much from this one, even if there are very similar passages throughout the form.
If you can't have access to Dr Yang's book, I'll manage to get some pics of me doing the form shot for you...or maybe even small clips if it's possible (with pics, you can't get the very important transitions)...if you got Yang's book, that won't be too necessary, this is the exact version I train (with a little twist here and then that he teaches but doesn't show in the books).

Longquan
07-23-2002, 08:28 AM
No, my version is has different techniques from any of the above versions.

I have seen Yang's. Mine is similar, but here are some of the differences:

A lot of the hammerfists are more vertical and overhanded.
The push down is executed at an angle rather than straight down.
The sweep at the end of the third road is more from the side.
A few other technique variations and different sequences.

SwaiingDragon
07-23-2002, 10:40 AM
I've alway enjoyed Longfist -

Lien Bu Chuan is one of my favorite forms, and I enjoy seeing Dr. Yang Jwing Ming's students perform this form (although you can see the Dr's crane influence)- many have spirit and demonstrate some awareness of application-

These wushu clips, although excellent posture, i don't see the "tradition" in them....

my opinion....

furiousg
07-24-2002, 11:32 AM
It's mostly only beginners who practice this form in Cal Wushu, and that's mixed in with contemporary basics and a contemporary beginning long fist form. I'm not surprised that it doesn't seem traditional to you, although I'm not certain what you mean by it since I'm not a traditionalist either.

Kilik
07-24-2002, 11:38 PM
My Lien Bu Chen is quite similar to LongQuan's, ours is taken from Li Mao Ching system of Long Fist so Spirit,Extension and Interpretation is a big part of our form.

rovere
07-28-2002, 10:43 PM
You are confused, I didn't learn it from a gentleman in Canada. I'm the one that lives in Canada. I learned the lien bu ch'uan form you are discussing from Major Chang Yen Fan Ying. She was a student of Du Shen Wu and taught hand to hand combat to Chinese commandos and the women's militia at Changsha during Chinese/ Japanese war. (WWII).

Articles and background info on the version/method I learned is available at www.rovere.com. Look under the articles section.

Ravenshaw
07-09-2003, 09:56 AM
As far as I know, Ku Yu Cheung (KYC) added this form to his cirriculum in the 1920's when the Five Northern Tigers went South. But that's all I know. And even then I am unsure...

What is the history of Lian Bu Chuan (both in general and as it pertains to Bak Sil Lum)?

GeneChing
07-10-2003, 11:22 AM
That would have brought up this thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12351&highlight=lin+bo+kuen).

Ravenshaw
07-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I saw that, but it was a bit unclear/brief. Does anyone have more complete history of Lian Bu? For example, what style is it from and why was it selected as the "standard" basic form?

NorthernShaolin
07-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Lien Bo Chuan is really an old set, maybe much older than the current people realize. Although I've have yet to read any real official documentation on its history before the 1920's, it has been told verbally that this set is what is left of the original Dragon set (of the five animals: Crane, Tiger, etc.) that was taught in the Shaolin Temple. Now whether this is folk-tell or not remains to be unfolded. But this is what many old timers of CMA believe.

However as simple as the set appears, it does contain elements that the Taiwain Military took a real interest and taught their soldiers for combat. In fact their applications of Lien Bo is not just block and strike techniques but they appliy the second and third level of applications: Locks and take downs. For the rest of us non military CMA, we know that the set teaches how to coordinate the steps with the hand movements which is good for beginners to start off with.

David Jamieson
07-12-2003, 04:55 PM
NorthShaolin

I too was lead to understand that it is a remnant of Shaolin Dragon.

I made a video with one of my kungfu brothers from my former kungfu school. Would you guys care to take a look at it and comment?

There is some text and a streamimng video of the set performed slowly.

I would appreciate any feedback about similarities or comments on the applications of the techniques found in the set. It's the first set I was taught in the BSL curriculum and I still like it today.

here's the link to the video -

cheersLien Bo Chuan (http://www.davidjamieson.com/kunglek/lienbo)

Fen
07-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Lien Bo Chuan
KL' I know to versions of Lien Bo and have seen 2 others then the ones I know. But know I have seen 3 versions. I'm sure that there are more too.

But, I do see add moves to your version of the set.

~Jason

Ravenshaw
07-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Thank you all. This information is quite helpful.

GeneChing
07-14-2003, 09:13 AM
I had heard that dragon story too, but discounted it for the most part, just because it doens't feel particularly dragon-like to me. Quite the opposite really. I have nothing to back that up yet; it's just an opinion. I totally agree with NS about the locks and takedowns - It's always my test now to see how well someone has their LBQ down. Like so much of CMA, most just grab the external shell. Few see the locks and takedowns, and that IMO, is the juiciest part.

David Jamieson
07-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Gene-

When I do the set at full speed, it tastes like Crane more than Dragon.

But everytime I look into the set, the return is "remnant of the Dragon style of Shaolin". So, for now, that's what I'm going with :D

Interesting observation, I feel the same way.

cheers

cha kuen
07-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Good post.

GeneChing
07-15-2003, 09:55 AM
hmm, I suppose it tastes more like pek kwar to me, but I've never really thought about it like that. Actually a lot of BSL today has a strong Pek Kwar influence, at least it seems so with the stuff that passed through HK. You can really see it when you compare weapons. Both have a nine continents staff (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/tcck003.html) and the BSL broadsword is even called Pek Kwar Broadsword (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/tcck004.html). In Lian Bu Quan, I see the crane in the right and left crane/willow palm moves near the end, but both of those are proceeded with pek kwar strikes, and there are two more on either side of those.

Ravenshaw
07-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Few see the locks and takedowns, and that IMO, is the juiciest part.

I have to agree, there. Recently I began showing some of the more junior students how to extract applications from their forms. I first showed them an obvious application and they were all kind of :rolleyes: . But then when I showed them a takedown within the same move and they all went :eek: .

Now they practice the applications all the time. :p

David Jamieson
07-17-2003, 08:29 AM
I haven't honestly really looked at Pek Kwar. Also I am not experienced in the BSL system overall.
Is there info on where Pek Kwar influences BSL or vice versa? How it occured and so on?
Or is that an upcoming article? :D

cheers

GeneChing
07-17-2003, 08:55 AM
...After I worked on the Pek Kwar video, I was toying with the idea of an article, but I never really went far with it. Everyone says theirs is the original, so neither the pek kwar or bsl people revealed anything worthwhile. My gut feeling is that pek kwar was first and bsl borrowed from it, but I cannot validate it. It just feels older. So there was nothing really publishable as an article out of it.

Oso
07-17-2003, 11:40 AM
cool, thanks for the post KL.

I can't get a good look at it due to poor DL speed at work, though.

That makes the third version I've seen: the one I do, one a buddy of mine does and now yours. I have a lot of video work to do anyway, I'll try and get mine done and up on my website for your perusal.

I feel like the version we do is very bagua'ish. a lot of flank steps and grazing blocks to palm strikes but I think I know where that influence comes into it so it sorta makes sense.

There are striking techniques in LBC??? I thought it was JUST a locking takedown form.;)

Royal Dragon
07-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Anything that is a throw, is a strike if you take one step back.

Oso
07-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Just had a look at the vid.

Wow. The variance is amazing. Same form, the roads are the same and a number of the moves are mostly the same.

{edit}

and by watching your version I certainly see the possibility of it being a 'dragon' remnant. my version does not....'emote' that animal to me. I will do my best to get this filmed soon for comparison. It will definitely be after the 28th of July. I have absolutely no free time till then.

{/edit}

I thought of yet a fourth version I've seen from a shoalin guy here in town as well.

RD...didn't get it did you?;)

Royal Dragon
07-18-2003, 04:46 PM
I guess not ehy? Oh well, I'm not perfect all the time! ;)

Oso
07-18-2003, 06:22 PM
that's ok, you're right so much of the time I'll let it go this time.

Ren Blade
07-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Lien Bu Chuan's a great form. As much of the more advanced forms of Long Fist I train, I favor Lien Bu Chuan the most cause of it's simplicity and easier to use for fighting. I have seen a couple different versions of Lien Bu Chuan outside of my school and it's very interesting. But the basic pattern of the form, no matter what school trains it, remains similar. The Lien Bu Chuan I train is from the Long Fist of the Han Ching Tan lineage. But I train it under the supervision of Dr. Yang Jwing Ming.

Ravenshaw
07-22-2003, 09:10 AM
I've seen Yang Jwing Ming's version of the form. Many of the moves (at least in the first half) are the same or similar to our Bak Sil Lum (Ku Yu Cheung lineage) Lian Bu Chuan.

But that does not surprise me. I remember reading something about Yang Jwing Ming's lineage going back to the Kuo Shu Institute, which is where Ku Yu Cheung taught and where Lian Bu was a standard basic form (or so I've heard).

GeneChing
07-22-2003, 09:43 AM
It's an R.O.C. thing. Or a southern Chinese thing. Gotta understand history and it all makes sense.

Ravenshaw
08-02-2003, 01:02 PM
This info was sent to me via e-mail by a man named Robert who was unsuccessful in posting it himself:

Hi,

I saw this forum about Lien Bu Chuan. I think I can share some information. I
have trouble to post online because it kept giving me permission deny. I won't
mind if you want to post it online. As for my background, my teacher is senior
student of my grand teacher Han, Chin Tan, who was the first year graduate of
Chinese Martial arts Institute.

> What is the history of Lian Bu Chuan (both in general and as it pertains to
Bak Sil Lum)?

Lian Bu Chuan was basically designed by the teachers in Zhong Yang Guo Shu Guan,
Central Chinese Martial Arts Institute, eatablished in 1928 Nan Jing. Whether
the form was brought in by someone originally, I don't know. It there was a Lian
Bu Chuan originally, it has been changed and reinvented by those teachers. As
today's Lian Bu Chuan, you can say it was designed by the teachers in the
Institute. The Institute was established to be the highest Chinese martial arts
Institute and Lian Bu Chuan was designed to be taught around the country. Since
most of the teachers, maybe all, hired by the Institute are from northern China.
The form was practiced as Northern Shaolin style. Since I'm from Long Fist
family, I practiced Lian Bu Chuan just like our Long Fist style. But, the form
itself wasn't designed with any style in mind because those teachers were from
all kinds of background. All the people has accessed or were related to the
Institute learned this form. They may came from!
different styles or systems. So, Lian Bu Chuan was practiced differently
depend on the people and their styles are. I think that is the best design
aspect of Lian Bu Chuan. Also, it covers most common applications of Chinese
martial arts, no matter it's northern or southern systems.
The reason the form went to southern China was because it was supposed to be
taught around the country.

> I saw that, but it was a bit unclear/brief. Does anyone have more complete
history of Lian Bu? For example, what style is it from and why was it selected
as the "standard" basic form?
The form was supported and promoted by Chinese government. That is why is was
selected as the "standard" basic form.

> But that does not surprise me. I remember reading something about Yang Jwing
Ming's lineage going back to the Kuo Shu Institute, which is where Ku Yu Cheung
taught and where Lian Bu was a standard basic form (or so I've heard).
Exactly, Ku Yu Cheung was sent by the government to establish martial art school
systems in southern China. They were supposed to use the Institute as guideline
and that was exactly what they did.

Best Regard!

Robert,

GeneChing
08-05-2003, 04:17 PM
why couldn't he post it himself?:confused:

Ravenshaw
08-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Everything he told me, I copied and pasted right into that post; I have no idea why he recieved the message: "permission denied.":confused:

Robert Young
08-05-2003, 10:08 PM
I have just received activation of my account from this site. Now,
I can direct reply to this thread. It took several days to activate my account. I though there was something wrong with my computer.

Cheers,

GeneChing
08-07-2003, 09:35 AM
We usually approve new members every working day, but both I and the other admin were away on vacation last week, so it took a little longer.

kai men
08-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Hi Fellows.
I would like to know if anyone of your know which is the real origin of the form LIM PO KUEN, mandarin LIEN BU QUAN.
Some say that the form was originated at the Nanqing Central Kuoshu Institute, ¿can you confirm or correct this info? thanks a lot in advance.
Kindest regards
horacio

kai men
08-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Well, before anyone else does, I kick my own ass on this subject, as I have found out that the topic has been very well discussed in this forum twice!
My apologizes!
horacio

Crimson Phoenix
08-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Wow, my first post in months!!! I was kept away by my PhD, currently enjoying well deserved (I like to believe) vacations in Panama...I was also a little bored with the forum, and this little absence just put the flame burning again hehehe

OK, on to Lien Bu. I know it from YJM, and upon some surfing on emptyflower's forum I had the pleasure of starting a little conversation with John Wang, expert in Shuai Jiao (Chang Dong Sheng) who also practiced a lot of long fist as well with Li Mao Ching (YJM's longfist teacher). Having studied at YMAA Paris I asked him several questions about the history of some sets (I was more interested in Yi and Er Lu Mai Fu but asked for Lien Bu as well).

What he told me was a surprise to me, but it corroborates some infos in here: Lien Bu, he assured me, is a "northernization" of a set from southern dragon. I asked him to confirm and he did, telling me Lien Bu from the Nanjing KuoShu institute really has its roots in southern dragon. He told me there was a chinese book from the 1930's describing the set and tracing its roots to southern dragon (I am too lazy to dig up the thread in emptyflower right now). He also mentionned the absence of reverse punches (this punch being quite common in long fist) was a sign, and that the last punch of the form, the only reverse punch, was added a little bit later (ie, it was not Nanjing version originally).

I also have a friend who is very knowledgeable in vietnamese martial arts and the chinese influences on them. One time through forms, he showed me a move exactly like the one in Lien Bu in which you punch and the forearm corresponding to the back leg is simultaneously folded at an angle near the ear (simple move, crappy description). I told him I had that move twice in our beginner form and his comment was "in several sino-vietnamese school, this move is typical of dragon aspects", giving me a troubling and unexpected additionnal point in favour of the "Lien Bu comes from southern dragon".

I grew quite convinced of that theory now, and John Wang is adamant about it...

I hope this has been of any help for you...

Oso
08-20-2003, 08:06 PM
cool and interesting.

thanks.

Ravenshaw
08-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Very interesting, CP. I am not familiar with southern kung fu other than Hung Gar and Choy Lay Fut (I don't like to throw Wing Chun into the same box), and the only southern animal forms I have seen are Hung Gar and Ha Say Fu (incorporated by Sifu Wing Lam into his own HG cirriculum), though I can't remember much of them. The movement you refer to (Gene translated it as "Immortal Carries Firewood with a Yoke") does not seem quite distinct enough to be a uniquely Southern Dragon movement, but who knows... I don't :p .

GeneChing
08-21-2003, 11:13 AM
...you got to give some credit to Lam Sifu there - he got it halfway from Cantonese to English, I got it the rest of the way.
I don't even speak Cantonese (but I'm a **** with a Chinese dictionary)

Crimson Phoenix
08-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Raven, I thought I'd share that for my come-back post ;)
Thanks for pointing the name of the move. Regarding that, I am far too incompetent to speak about southern dragon. But the point is, my sino-viet MA friend assured me this precise move was a kind of trademark signature of dragon sequences in several of the vietnamese styles he studied...pretty intriguing huh?

Ravenshaw
08-22-2003, 02:11 AM
Several different styles? You're right: that is intriguing. I wonder why it's always associated with dragon style... It's certainly a useful move, if simple.

For those who don't know the technique, it contains a high block which folds in to the ear (so as not to push the attacking limb away) simultaneously with a step in and a punch to the floating ribs. I suppose the folding-in block does more to guide the punch to the side than to forcefully smother it. Kind of a slippery movement and, as I mentioned, simple.

Oso
08-22-2003, 03:31 AM
I personally like to follow up w/ a throw.
the folded arm snaking the punching arm and either stepping through after the punch or turning for a circle throw.

it's also a good 'oh, crap' last resort deflection

Robert Young
08-22-2003, 08:21 AM
> But the point is, my sino-viet MA friend assured me this precise
> move was a kind of trademark signature of dragon sequences
> in several of the vietnamese styles he studied...pretty
> intriguing huh.
Lien Bu Chuan is called "Gua Da". It is exact like Ravenshaw described, well said. Gua is the defending move. It is not only shown in vietnamese styles. Many northern styles use it also. Many forms in Long Fist have it. Even Shuai Chiao has a basic training like that, called "Gou Gua" or "Gou Gua Lieng Huang". It is a very good defending move.

Cheers,

GeneChing
08-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Didn't realise our forum censored ****. That's funny. I guess I can't say cheese ****. That's going to reduce my vocabulary considerably.

norther practitioner
08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
vocab, or diet...:D

That move sounds familiar.... Seems farely generic (not to knock that) to many styles.

Ravenshaw
08-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Oso
I personally like to follow up w/ a throw.

Why not punch and throw? :D Or is that what you meant?

Anyway, the movement in the form is done with a punch, but there really are a ton of techniques you could do off of that block, with a throw not being the least attractive option.

Oso
08-22-2003, 01:12 PM
ravenshaw, yep. the elbow deflection turns into a wrap on his punching arm as you punch to stun/setup.

and I've been a longtime fan of following up that punch w/ a throat grab to facilitate that throw as well.

Sal Canzonieri
01-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I can shed some light on the form origin.

Lian Bu Quan is from the WESTERN Dragon system, originally.
It is from Yunan province, rare to ever see their martial arts.

I have an old book from 1920s, called Orthodox Shaolin Lian Bu Quan.

In comparing how the form was done way back then to how Lian Bu is generally taught today, it is pretty much the same postures, nothing was lost.
The only difference is that the more newer way to do it that the two famous schools taught has different directions to do the sequences of postures.
They did improve it quite a bit, it was too linear and boring the old way.

You can see one version of the form in one of the Robert Smith books, he shows a step by step photo guide to the form.

Also, a GREAT version of the form is done by the Taoist martial arts schools.
It's one of the better versions, you can buy the VCD of it here:

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd4/coll_WDtaihe.htm

where it says:

VCD#1273 Dragon Boxing
About an hour, See Main VCD page for prices, CHINESE ONLY

Dragon Fist also known as "Continuous Stepping Fist". It was created by grand master Liu Chong Jun, President of the Sichuan Martial Association, about 100 years ago. It was introduced in National Nanjing Wushu college & became a mandatory subject for wushu students. Fast movements are well-arranged & balanced. This is often known as Lien Bu and used as a "basic" set though, technically it does not serve that purpose all that well in that it has few truly basic movements. It is very common, the first form taught, for example in the Northern Shaolin system. This version, taught by the teacher with three helpers, bears little resemblance to the typical beginning level version - though it is definitely the same form. It is a fluid set with some complex hand actions.

Ravenshaw
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow, I was surprised to see this thread again. Now that I think of it, I've known this set twice as long as I did when I started this thread... wish I knew it twice as well.

Thanks for sharing your research, Sal. I may check out the VCD.

Ravenshaw
01-04-2007, 03:59 AM
I gotta be careful whose @ss I grab... ;)

BruceSteveRoy
01-04-2007, 07:43 AM
sal would you be able to scan any of the photos from that book and post them on here? i am curious to know if the version i know is the same. the one i do is more linear and different in a few ways than the ones i have seen videos of. also yunnan province (which which is has spring time weather all year and is a good place to find awesome coffee and fried potatoes) is where many of the chinese muslims live. they are the ones (at least to my knowledge) that developed the tan tui. while i was there (in Kunming and Lijiang) i saw a lot of elderly people practicing bagua and tai chi in various parks and parking lots.

David Jamieson
01-04-2007, 06:48 PM
the one i learned all runs on a T shape with most of the hoo ha happening on the long bit and the opening bits running on the cross bar bit.

for such a simple set it has interesting doo dads in it.

BruceSteveRoy
01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
the one i learned all runs on a T shape with most of the hoo ha happening on the long bit and the opening bits running on the cross bar bit.

for such a simple set it has interesting doo dads in it.

actually i you're right mine is the same. Capital T begining and ending on the cross bar of the T and the majority of the form on the long part. but i was thinking it was linear just bc the bulk of it is on the long part.

Ravenshaw
01-07-2007, 06:07 AM
The version I know has one step to the left in the beginning, then we step back to the starting point before turning and going in a line... so I guess it's more of an L shape than a T, though the foot of the L is very short.

This (http://www.wle.com/products/VSL01D.html) is more or less how I do it. I always thought this set was so jerky compared to the other sets in the BSL curriculum, even the 18 Techniques. Seems like single technique followed by single technique with only a few real combinations.

Shaolin Master
01-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Hi All,

Please find the post attached regarding Lianbuquan.
http://wugong.satirio.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=163#163

...scans of the 1919 book [Shaolin Orthodox Lianbuquan] are also there.

Kind Regards
Wu Chanlong

Shaolinlueb
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
so much info on lain bu chuan. this is great. i never knew that much about it. :)

NorthernShaolin
01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Ravenshaw,

Your Lien Bo is really a T shape that everyone is referring. If you take the distance moving to the left, you'll find that it is equal to the distance traveled to the rigth. And when you start going on the center line (the main line), where the left leg or foot is placed, it really is the mid-point such that the distance going to the left is equal to the distance going to the right, thus it is a T-shape.

SM,

Thank for the scan document. I've been told that Lien Bo was connected to the five animals i.e., specifically Dragon. However I did not know exactly who should take the credit. However, I do know who take the credit for standardizing Lien Bo at the Nanjing Kuo Sho school. I'll dig it up and post it later if anyone is interested.

Ravenshaw
01-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the scans!

I do know who take the credit for standardizing Lien Bo at the Nanjing Kuo Sho school. I'll dig it up and post it later if anyone is interested.

I'm interested, as always. :)

NorthernShaolin
01-09-2007, 08:27 AM
According to the text, Wu Lin Chang Ku, the Five Tigers from the North went South and an official announcement by Li Chi Shen was made that Wan Li Sheng was to be head of both of the Central National Arts Provinces Schools in Kwangsi and Kwangtung.

WLS then assigned Kuo Yu Chang (BSL) to be head of Kwangtung Provincial School and Wang Shao Chou (Ch'a and BSL) as head of Kwangsi Provincial School. WLS requested that all the Five Tigers meet with Wang Shao Chou in setting up a standard martial arts program for the Provenicial schools. As a result of this meeting, all the masters agreed that the standard basic set would be Lien Bo Chuan from Wu Chih Ch'ing who was a master of Ch'a Style and Short Strike Style. He also authored several books on Tan T'ui, Ch'a Number Four and Short Strike Fist.

iron_leg_dave
03-22-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8g5w9V6S-s

David Jamieson
03-23-2009, 05:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8g5w9V6S-s

that looks almost nothing like the lin bu i learned.

where is it from?

iron_leg_dave
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
A chinese laundry mat owner in central Ohio named Mo Ying. It is part of a longfist curriculum.

Two things I do differently than the way I learned it. The first thing is instead of cover and strike, I use the parry and strike from later forms and in one technique, I replace that cover and strike with a side palm to the waist. The reason for that is that I saw someone else do it, and realized it fits into the sequence without taking anything away.

sunwukon
03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
its a nice form.your stances are "wide/broad" in some movments: have you pratice japanese MA before?

cheers

David Jamieson
03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
The version I know has one step to the left in the beginning, then we step back to the starting point before turning and going in a line... so I guess it's more of an L shape than a T, though the foot of the L is very short.

This (http://www.wle.com/products/VSL01D.html) is more or less how I do it. I always thought this set was so jerky compared to the other sets in the BSL curriculum, even the 18 Techniques. Seems like single technique followed by single technique with only a few real combinations.

the lin bu i learned was similar to that, but not actually like that.
The BSL I learned came from Sifu Ma in Alberta Canada. He taught my teacher. I believe he has passed now, but he was in the same lines as wing lam, just a generation previous, maybe two.

iron_leg_dave
03-26-2009, 01:42 PM
its a nice form.your stances are "wide/broad" in some movments: have you pratice japanese MA before?

cheers

Me?

No. Well, Judo and when I was little my parents did jiu jitsu and would play with me. Not in the form of katas or any kind of stancework though.

GeneChing
04-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Essence of Lien Bu Chuan (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/sweepstakes-essesnce-lien-bu-chuan.php), autographed by Artie Aviiles, James Man Chin & Nelson Tsou! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 4/14/2016.

GeneChing
04-18-2016, 11:01 AM
See our WINNERS: Essence of Lien Bu Chuan, autographed by Aviiles, Chin & Tsou (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69444-WINNERS-Essence-of-Lien-Bu-Chuan-autographed-by-Aviiles-Chin-amp-Tsou) thread.

Zui Quan
03-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Hey guys,what's up?

I was watching some kung fu videos and found out that the taiwanese lien bu chuan is considerably longer and more complex than the version taught in most schools in the west,even considering variations.

Would guys know which one is the orginal one? The simpler version or the taiwanese more complex version?

mawali
04-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Hey guys,what's up?

I was watching some kung fu videos and found out that the taiwanese lien bu chuan is considerably longer and more complex than the version taught in most schools in the west,even considering variations.

Would guys know which one is the orginal one? The simpler version or the taiwanese more complex version?

Probably so! Most schools teach a wushu standardized version instead of the pre-1960 'classical" longer form. Even with the 'classical form' variations are still minimal compared to the no present nandu point scoring version. Even when I did changquan in the 1980s as part of competition (just, and still an amateur), they started to incorporated and re-engineer changquan (and nanquan) are the current version of things to come:D

Though I use the term 'classical' etc. which ever one shows application. utility, purpose, etc, then I would label said form to be more information than just the repetition of a classical empty form devoid of function.