PDA

View Full Version : OT: Aikidoka discusses BJJ training

Braden
07-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Since these arts come up alot in discussions, I thought this may be of interest.

http://www.aiki.com/sneak/yama****a.html

Wow. Interesting censor mishap. The asterices are obscuring the letters S H I T.

SevenStar
07-20-2002, 10:16 PM
good post. I really like this:

ATM: One of the aims of Aikido is to teach people to moderate their aggression. Does Brazilian Jujitsu do this? If very arrogant, strong people came to your school, would Brazilian Jujitsu help them to become more sensitive?

SENSEI: It would be a real ego neutralizer. As they grappled against experienced people, they would come to see that their strength is useless

This is the very reason why bjj guy are for the most part extremely humble, contrary to what you hear people say...

Crimson Phoenix
07-21-2002, 02:41 AM
GREAT read!
These BJJ guys mock us TMA and they forget that their art itself has deep traditional roots. I really liked the part about what the arts you train make to your spirit. I read things takne from Japanese okuden about that, and closely backed up by animal behavior observations from K. Lorentz...
It's really a great interview.

JusticeZero
07-21-2002, 10:25 AM
http://www.aiki.com/sneak/yama****a.html

Nope. I tried.

Mr Punch
07-21-2002, 11:28 PM
Excellent article.

A few funny things though... Used to be that other stylists would come to aiki to learn the sensitivity, rather than aikidoka going to other arts... Also used to be that warrior spirit was one thing that aikidoka had in spades, at least in my school, even if the talk was all of harmony, and now they seem to be going elsewhere for that too!

It's also an interestingly typical paradox that he says that people from hard styles come to aikido to chill out, yet people from aiki still have to go to another style to learn sensitivity...

Braden
07-22-2002, 01:49 AM
I don't think it's that peculiar. You'll note that in each case, he simply speaks of the positive aspects of each art. He's bring respectfull and constructive.

Things like 'sensitivity' and 'warrior spirit' aren't commodities you either have or you don't. In other words, you could be getting all the sensitivity aikido has to offer, and still remark about learning sensitivity from BJJ; and this has nothing to do with BJJ being better, nor even more oriented to the quality in question.

SDriver
07-22-2002, 05:15 AM
Great interview.

Although he seems to have the fanaticism of the converted... I'm sure there are people who would disagree that "BJJ is the only art that complements aikido."

KnightSabre
07-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Well he did try wrestling,karate and boxing before BJJ and then found that BJJ complemented Aikido better than the others.

Also the fact that the one is a standing art and the other a groundfighting art means their principles do not conflict,it's not like you're mixing Karate with Wing Chun.

Mr Punch
07-22-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Braden
I don't think it's that peculiar.

Me neither. Just musing.

You'll note that in each case, he simply speaks of the positive aspects of each art. He's bring respectfull and constructive.

Yup.

Things like 'sensitivity' and 'warrior spirit' aren't commodities you either have or you don't.

Nope. They do require training for most people.

In other words, you could be getting all the sensitivity aikido has to offer, and still remark about learning sensitivity from BJJ; and this has nothing to do with BJJ being better, nor even more oriented to the quality in question.

Yep.

Thanks Braden. Nice clarification.

Even if you do give me a headache sometimes. :D

greendragon
07-22-2002, 09:48 AM
BJJ? AikiSensei says if you keep contact over 3 seconds you're engaged.:D

TaoBoy
07-22-2002, 06:43 PM
It is good to see that the true martial spirit is still alive. Finally, an interview with someone who speaks honestly about his inadequacies and how he remedied them. And not a bad word about other styles. :)

Braden
07-22-2002, 07:21 PM
Mat - Only sometimes? I'll have to try harder. :D

Mr Punch
07-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Ow!

Nnnn-da-da-da-d-dd-d-d--d-d-d-d-h-h-h-h! What was that for, Tripitaka?!