PDA

View Full Version : atlanta kung fu

flem
07-21-2002, 06:19 AM
i know this is supposed to be about mantis, but if you live in the atlanta area i had the opportunity to witness awesome kung fu. plus the area is slighted w/regards to mantis anyway.
the style is fut san i think, and it is a choy li fut system. now i know you're thinking, southern, no mantis, blah, blah, blah. but i'm telling you that this is an awesome style. but besides that it is taught old school style, not alot of hype nor alot of commercialization, just real blood and sweat kf. i can't remember the instructors name, though i think he said he has mantis experience. he also has bjj exp., and so it is well rounded.
if you're in the area this is the place to go- i think they have a web site, if not they're known around the chinese comm., for lion dance.

18elders
07-21-2002, 10:32 AM
Did you visit their school or see them in a demonstration?

BeiTangLang
07-22-2002, 09:05 AM
If you can come up with a school or name or _SOMEthing_ to alidate this thread I'll leave it. Otherwise I shall delete it after today; too obscure.

Hua Lin Laoshi
07-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Sifu Chad Meyers teaches Fut San Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut in Atlanta. He was a professional student at the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando awhile back. After that he studied BJJ and other styles. Here is the website for more information.

http://www.futsanhungsingatl.com/about.htm

This thread should probably continue in the Southern forum unless there are questions about his Wah Lum training.

flem
07-25-2002, 12:42 PM
hualinlaoshi,

i understand your point, however, i posted this in case someone in that area is looking for a good school. do you have a problem with the teaher?
he seemed very nice, in fact i spoke with several of his students, andwell, lets just say he takes care of them as a good sifu should.
i can see the reason many have compared choy li fut to WL now. i have always favored northern KF myself, but what i saw there is impressive.
all he really needs is a couple of online promoters like pong lai has and it will be all good- cept i don't think he likes tea(lol)

Hua Lin Laoshi
07-25-2002, 03:52 PM
I don't have a problem with him. We're pretty good friends. I plugged his school then attempted to bring the discussion back to the forum topic by referencing his training at Wah Lum.

Actually, from what I know of Choy Lee Fut (not Futsan branch) there are quite a few differences but it doesn't seem quite as foreign to those with Wah Lum experience. The Gwa Choy in Wah Lum uses the open hand to clear the way for the backfist attack whereas in Choy Lee Fut the backfist clears the way for the straight palm strike. Personally, I like Choy Lee Fut.

yu shan
07-25-2002, 09:08 PM
Sifu Myers also trained with Steve Robinson (Sevierville Tn.) and Leroy Kautz (Knoxville). A story in itself...

Can`t blame the guy for leaving WL. Especially if he is in CLF, with good lineage. I`ll stop in for a visit next time I`m in his area.

Art D
07-26-2002, 01:14 PM
yu shan e-mail me the scoop.