PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu for teens/ kids

NeedsPractice
07-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Any styles of kung fu that anyone would recommend for a 12 year old? And/ or any schools in the NYC area that anyone would recommend for a 12 year old? My school doesnt have kids classes.

SevenStar
07-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Try a longfist school.

BrentCarey
07-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Try a longfist school.
I second that. My son is 11 years old. I have been teaching since before he was born, and he just started training this year. He is doing great, and that is my completely unbiased opinion. :D

It helps having grown up in the environment. Most of the moves look pretty natural to him. He watches me much more carefully now that he's training though.

I also teach youth classes, and primarily teach Long Fist to them. (Actually I start them on Kenpo for the first couple of months for conditioning, then start them with Long Fist and some Five Animals.) Long Fist is probably the easiest style of kung fu to grasp except for maybe something Wing Chun.

Best regards,

Brent Carey

TaoBoy
07-21-2002, 05:32 PM
NP, It's a little outside the realm of KF but...how about judo? I know plenty of people (including myself) who studied judo as a child. All of them enjoyed it and look back on it with fond memories. Importantly, it also helps with teaching children how to fall and not injure themselves and also provides worthwhile self-defence techniques.

Just a thought.

SevenStar
07-21-2002, 06:54 PM
I too thought about Judo, but since he asked for KF, I didn't mention it.

NeedsPractice
07-21-2002, 07:29 PM
Actually I have been considering judo, and so far the judo school i came across is the only place where the classes wont conflict with my own training and work schedule.

Sho
07-22-2002, 02:07 AM
I would recommend Long Fist also, because it provides the student a very good basic structure for martial arts in future training too. Long Fist practitioners can well adapt to other styles. It's like the Great Solar Stance in The Evil Cult movie. :)

But of course, this doesn't necessarily apply to all people.

Sestum
07-22-2002, 07:38 AM
i wanted to do kung fu when i was younger too, the parents ended up putting me in judo because of a lack of kung fu in my area and a gerenal distaste for the karate dojo's.... that and judo was way cheaper :D Anyways 11 yrs later i still love that judo... getting close to by black belt now.

- Adam

guohuen
07-22-2002, 07:44 AM
I know you were looking for kung fu, but I'll chime in for judo. I started staining in judo at 12 and it did wonders to boost my self confidence. When you can throw a larger opponent it really opens your eyes up to body mechanics and clear level headed thinking without aggresive behavior.

rubthebuddha
07-22-2002, 01:52 PM
definitely longfist. just ask wushuchik -- hers are 3 (happy birthday bodhi!) and almost 5 (i think), and their longfist is better than mine will ever be, even if i drop wt today. :)

apoweyn
07-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
I know plenty of people (including myself) who studied judo as a child. All of them enjoyed it and look back on it with fond memories.

not me. as a kid in england, i briefly studied judo. (my parents' bright idea.) hated it.

of course, now i wish i'd stuck with it. so, believe it or not, that's another vote FOR judo.

stuart b.