PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Cross training

NeedsPractice
07-22-2002, 12:02 PM
I dont study any form of mantis but I am curious as to
1- Do any northern mantis schools incorporate any southern mantis or vice versa?

2- Would you be able to look at a northern style and a southern style of mantis and a northern style of mantis and see anything in common and see
2- Or is the general idea they are 2 seperate animals and each one disregrds the other?

I am not looking for or interested in any style bashing

grifter721
07-22-2002, 02:02 PM
I dont know o any schools that incorporate both but I do know that they have two differnt attack/defense srategies. Northen Mantis and Southern mantis are totally differnt and you would see no resemblance.

BeiTangLang
07-23-2002, 05:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeedsPractice
[B]I dont study any form of mantis but I am curious as to
1- Do any northern mantis schools incorporate any southern mantis or vice versa?

I have never seen nor heard of N/S mantis intigration.

2- Would you be able to look at a northern style and a southern style of mantis and a northern style of mantis and see anything in common and see
2-Or is the general idea they are 2 seperate animals and each one disregrds the other?

Yes, you will actually see a couple things that are common between the two systems; They are both agressive, They both work very well.
The two never disregard each other that I've ever seen. To do so would show disrespect & from what I have observed, They each hold the other in high regard.

ursa major
07-23-2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by NeedsPractice
I dont study any form of mantis but I am curious as to

2- Or is the general idea they are 2 seperate animals and each one disregrds the other?

I am not looking for or interested in any style bashing

I am the only person that I know of in my circle who practices a style of SPM (Iron Ox) and a style of NPM (7 Star). The mix of which you speak is very uncommon and I have never seen any schools instruct on both northern and southern PM. I arrived at my mix through two separate schools.

I find that whether it is NPM or SPM, hard or soft versions, you can usually tell a Mantis style as depicted through a classic form. For instance in Mantis Exits Cave, the SPM version is clearly Mantis as is the NPM version clearly Mantis yet they are played out entirely differently highlighting unique aspects of Mantis style.

I do not believe there has ever been an intention to make "2 seperate animals" or in this case -- bugs -- between NPM and SPM. They are just different interpretations of styles that we can be the inheritors of. I have found that both SPM and NPM that I have been fortunate enough to learn and practice, to be rich with technique, method and wisdom and enthusiastically encourage you to explore these styles in greater detail.

regards,
UM.

TaoBoy
07-23-2002, 09:02 PM
Tidy reply UM.

I found a page about SPM history recently. It's a little OT, but if you are interested in how the two styles originated this is very interesting and provides the southern half of the story.

http://www.shaolinarts-ky.net/smhistory.cfm

Cheers, TB.

ursa major
07-27-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
Tidy reply UM.

I found a page about SPM history recently. It's a little OT, but if you are interested in how the two styles originated this is very interesting and provides the southern half of the story.

http://www.shaolinarts-ky.net/smhistory.cfm

Cheers, TB.

thx for the link -- very interesting read. I am always amazed at what I don't know -- especially after I learn something new.

adious,
UM.

yu shan
07-27-2002, 07:46 PM
My exposure to SPM is limited. What I have seen: Good hand work, seem to be very confined with footwork. KF brothers in heart, united in strength!