PDA

View Full Version : Alleviation of water retention

illusionfist
07-23-2002, 02:23 AM
Any TCM practitioners out there with some ideas on how to alleviate water retention. I know its a blanket question to ask given the amount of factors that can be involved, but i was thinking that maybe there are some folks out there that have dealt with it in the past.

I've been treating my grandmother with tui na (mainly because a lot of the treatments with acupuncture are a little dangerous because she has a heart condition) and i'm running low on ideas. The swelling seems to localize in her legs, and the tui na seems to help that, but overall it still hasn't gone away. Sodium isn't really a factor because she is on a strict low sodium diet.

I've noticed that Zu San Li is a good point when using the tui na. I'm not really sure why, but when that point is used, the water seems to lessen over the next day or two. This definitely makes me feel that there is something going on with the stomach meridian, but also it could just be a local point that is really helping.

Is it possible that there is a latent thyroid dysfunction that is coming into play?

Any insight is sincerely appreciated.

Peace :D

TaoBoy
07-28-2002, 08:15 PM
I am currently studying TCM, so I can only be of minimal assistance. I cannot provide any help on the treatment as I cannot accurately diagnose the cause/condition over the internet. But, zu san li (st 36) is a point used to relieve pain in the lower body. It is a very important point and would generally be used to treat this type of condition.

For more help - check out www.acupuncture.com (http://www.acupunture.com), they have heaps of resources.

Keep well.

sunkuen
08-05-2002, 09:38 PM
The swelling in the legs was the same thing a very close relative of mine had. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and apparently the swelling was due to blood clots in the legs, which is common with this type of cancer. Massaging the legs could dislodge the clot and you could make things much worse.Have her checked by her doctor.

Repulsive Monkey
08-06-2002, 02:36 AM
For Odema like symptoms I feel that the person who suggested St 36 is a very poor decision, that is quite an inapropriate point to use. Zu San-li is the strongest point in the body for tonification, blood, qi and dispersing damp however if one were to choose one point and one poit only for water retention St 36 would not be the number one point. I have never heard of St 36 being used for lower body pain relieve. GB 34 in its Liver Qi Stagnation pain relief yes but not St 36. For Odema like symptoms i.e. Kidney Yang Xu I would probably go for Kid 3, Kid 7 and maybe even moxa them to dry out the moisture on the most local of areas.

illusionfist
08-08-2002, 10:16 AM
Repulsive Monkey- i mentioned Zu San Li as being the point that seemed to have the most impact on swelling, but it is far from being the only point being stimulated. Several kidney points are being used as well along with some extra girdling points (mainly for localized treatment). The moxa would be a good idea, however i haven't been trained to use it.

Any other ideas?

Peace