PDA

View Full Version : choy lay fut footwork drills and exercices

RAIN
07-23-2002, 07:45 AM
hello brothers

in the lee koon hung book " dynamic aret of fighting " is showed the footwork drill called in english " snake sliding , mouse running " . this drill is like the traditional openning called bat gwa sum jong , with the difference that in snake sliding , after the buy ma yum jerng movement there is follow for a kong ma sow choy - sey ping ma biu jong .

question 1 - the drill like is showed in the book is the complete version or is longer ?

question 2 - how is the chinese name for this footwork drill ?

question 3 _ why snake and mouse ?

CLFNole
07-23-2002, 12:44 PM
Remember this was just a book that points out some basics and is not representative of how our system is taught. Since you can't fit entire forms in a book techniques and exercises were created to help the readers. If you practise all of our forms consistently and correctly you will have all the footwork training you need.

Peace.

RAIN
07-23-2002, 09:46 PM
thank you for you reply , but i'd was think that that was a original drill because somebody in internet tell me that a lot of systems have a drill called snake sliding and mouse running .

i only want to know if is a fotwork drill that i can clasify with a name .

Fu-Pow
07-24-2002, 12:01 AM
I think that this is just an expression in Chinese Kung Fu. It means to be light in your foot work. A snake and a mouse don't make any sound when they move.

extrajoseph
07-24-2002, 12:02 AM
The drill you are looking for is in "Jo Sarng Ma" (Running the Live Horse), you can check out this link:

http://www.clfma.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=32&page=1

It is an interesting form and many footwork drill can be extracted from the form.

The term "snake sliding and mouse running" is used to describe the lightness and agility one needs to achieve in good fast footwork.

RAIN
07-24-2002, 10:09 AM
ok i got the point now . then , the name of the drill of the book is called bat gwa sum jong like the forms opening .

CLFNole
07-24-2002, 10:44 AM
No actually it would not because the exercise in the book is not the actual opening, its just an exercise. Not everything has to have a name in order to exist. Call it whatever you want. Lee Koon Hung didn't even teach this during classes because if you know a form with the correct opening there is no need to learn an exercise that is similar.

This is the problem with learning from books and videos, you only get partial knowledge and can never completely grasp what you get out of learning from a "real" person.

Peace.

JAZA
07-24-2002, 09:27 PM
Hola RAIN:

Leyendo la bio del SIfu Horacio Di Renzo de la asoc. Chin Wan aparece que el estudio con el Maestro Lee Koon Hung. Tal vez puedas acercarte a él alguna vez para que vea tus formas.
Espero que te sirva la info.

CLFNole
07-25-2002, 06:16 PM
Horacio Di Renzo was not a student of Lee Koon Hung. He follows Chan Kwok Wai, who primarily teaches buk sil lum and also choy lay fut.

Our forms would be different from his.

Peace

JAZA
07-25-2002, 07:15 PM
CLFNole,

Sorry I comit a mistake, I tried to talk about his broter Claudio Di Renzo, he study with master Jerry Lee and in a website bio it said that he studied a time with master Lee Koon Hung.
All I read about him is that he is a big master in Argentina.
I´m trying to found the site, then I publish the link.

CLFNole
07-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Jaza:

No problem just trying to set the record straight. I don't remember his brother ever coming to America and studying with us. Perhaps he came for a short time because I do remember someone coming for like 1 week, however it was a long time ago.

Peace.

JAZA
07-26-2002, 08:02 PM
CLFNole:

I have to give my apologies, the mistake is bigger. I found the site and re-read it and the part that said that he studied with Master Lee Koon Hung is really talking about his Sigung Jerry Lee.
First time I read it quickly, but it doesn´t pardon me.:(
link (http://orbita.starmedia.com/~chinwancanel/kungfu/historia_de_la_escuela_chin_wan.htm)

CLFNole
07-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Jaza:

Hey we all make mistakes its no big deal.

Peace.

RAIN
07-27-2002, 12:04 AM
jaza :

i know the two of them . but i believe them are not very active in the argentina's kung fu scena right now . his students are taking the way . about jerry lee i'd read 2 years ago a note about he was coming back to teach . but he never coming to argentina . chan kwong wai coming 4 yeras ago for bring a seminar . i don't was interesed in clf then .

clf nole :

for what reason you believe that grandmaster lee koon hung put that drill in the book ?

i think is a great drill for develop balance . i know the complete bat gwa sum jong from fut ga jerng ,. and i think the most rich part from a begginner is the diu ma sequence , maybe for that reason he cut the drill in buy ma yam jerng and finish with sow choy / biu jong .

Eddie
07-29-2002, 12:35 AM
Hi Rain,
When I first learned batgwa sum jong opening, it was with the first broadsword form. At that time, I struggled a little with the movements to get the proper feel and flow of the sequence. I was convinced that because of my size, I will never ever be able to do the sequence properly (at that time I was much younger and very much smaller than now). After a few years, I realised the importance of ALL movements in my forms, and gave up on the idea to neglect the moves you find difficult to execute. After doing the opening for a fair amount of time I can realised exactly how good it is do openings such as that. As Fu pow said, this set is good to teach you how to be light on your feet, and how to move fast, but still graceful (for lack of a better word). It’s a great set.

I noticed that when students first learn che kuen or siu moi fah, they tend to be very ‘heavy’ on their feet. Probably because of the rooting in che kuen or stomping in plumflower. When they progress to learn a form with this kind of opening, they learn how to be more lighter on their feet, and how to improve their overall movability. I have seen it where a student improved on his basic forms, after learning broadsword.

Dynamic art of fighting is a very good book. I often think it was written more for a wider audience and people with not as much experience in CLF as for CLF students only. It covers allot of things, even more advanced routines, but it doesn’t cover a complete form (like His other 3 books). I cannot help but thinking maybe Lee Koon Hung put that set in the book, because he knew how important the set was, but obviously changed it so that non CLF players may also benefit from it as a stand alone routine or drill. The same goes for that drill from gei boy at and che kuen (gwa choy, cheung ahn Choy, Charp choy). If you train the form everyday, you don’t have to do the drill as a separate routine.

Speak to you again soon.
ed

kai men
11-05-2002, 06:29 AM
I have been quoted here so I want to clarify:
1) My brother Claudio Di Renzo travelled to Miami two times (one month) to study with Jerry Lee.
2) He learnt mostly hung gar and basic Beishaolin.
3) Jerry Lee came Two Times to Argentina, first in 1985 and second in 1994.
4) My teacher Chan Kwok Wai came to Argentina FIVE times. He taught of course , Northern Shaolin AND Choy li Fat (Futsan Style).
5) Jerry Lee studied with Lee Kon Hung for a while, not sure how much he did.
6) Claudio 's students have travelled many times to train with Jerry Lee
Kindest regards
horacio