PDA

View Full Version : kiu=bridge

Fu-Pow
07-18-2001, 07:08 PM
Just wonderiing. We have a move in CLF called Poon Kiu. I think it means "Coiling Bridge." Which BTW would make sense. In general though, does Kiu as it applies to the MA mean bridge? As in Kiu Sau/Sow. Also, wondering about the literal definition of Sao/Sow. From the best I can gather it means "Smash or strike."

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

namkuen
07-18-2001, 07:42 PM
Kiu does refer to bridge; however, sao refers to hand. Hence, the term kiu sao or bridge hand.

I hope this helps!

Peace!!!

DWR

One who conquers others is strong, but one who conquers himself is mighty! Lao Tzu

fiercest tiger
07-19-2001, 12:52 AM
smashing is sometimes refered as soy kuil in ykm smashing the bridge.

remember that bridging is also via the legs too, not just the arms!!! :cool:

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

hasayfu
07-19-2001, 02:18 AM
In Hung Gar, Bridging is a key concept. There is a saying, Create a bridge and go over it.

As Nam Kuen stated, Kiu Sao is Bridge Hand and is symbolized by the 1 finger pointing up that you see famous for Hung Gar. I say symbolize because there are many bridges in Hung Gar but the Kiu Sao can train many energies (not all) at once.

Hope that helps

WongFeHung
07-19-2001, 02:30 AM
are you referring to sao=hand, or sow as in sow choy, and sow geurk? In this case sow means swinging arc.

mysteri
07-19-2001, 07:33 AM
in jow ga (and in many stlyes), sao refers to the hand. but to my knowledge, it can include any part of the arm as well. in wing chun, they use single arm techniques ex. pak sao. they use double arm techniques and refer to it as "sao" as well. ex. kwan sao, gang sao.... and lop sao (trapping hands) also...hope that i have been of some help..

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

alecM
07-19-2001, 02:57 PM
Sow can also mean sweep such as sow choi sweeping hand or sow gurk sweeping foot or leg.

Fear not the man who has learned one thousand kicks, fear the man who has practiced one kick a thousand times.