PDA

View Full Version : Jumping!

NomortaL
07-24-2002, 11:24 AM
So i was wondering, i haven't heard much about this leg strengthening method much, is it better to do than squats? Sounds like it would be better to develop more explosive power in kicks.

Its basically jumping from a squat position instead of standing. start with yourself in a crouched position with your back straight and just jump up and land as softly as you can and proceed back into the crouched position. Sorry if didnt explain it well enough....

Ford Prefect
07-24-2002, 01:04 PM
That would be construed as plyometrics or ballistic training. :) Yes, it can help with explosiveness and speed.

NomortaL
07-24-2002, 08:45 PM
Do you think its better than regular squats?

Serpent
07-24-2002, 11:16 PM
They do different things. You should do both. Regular squats will help with leg strength and endurance, jumps will help with speed and explosive power (and strength and endurance to a degree). Do them both. Also, Hindu squats are a good combo of the two.

SifuAbel
07-25-2002, 02:59 AM
I LOVE hindu squats and squat jumping. Hindu squats with a spring at the end is cool and my favorite hindu squats with one leg at a time (lifting with only one leg keeping the other in tuck, ending in a hanging stance).

I don't like weighted squats though. I don't like what it can do to your back. Inclined sitting leg press is a good alternative and of course stance work is key. Leg extention machine with a medium load of weight(more reps, less weight) is good for the connective areas of the quads. Do them all smoothly with an even pace so you don't jam the knee.

Ford Prefect
07-25-2002, 07:17 AM
Weighted squats only mess up your back if you use poor form.

IronFist
07-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Anything can be bad for you if you use bad form.

IronFist

Ford Prefect
07-25-2002, 12:32 PM
Correct. Squatting weight is as safe as anything else.

Serpent
07-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Agreed on the weighted squat. Also, those leg extension machines suck. They isolate a muscle that is never isolated in any other normal usage. Otherwise, I agree with Abel's suggestions.

SifuAbel
07-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Isolation machines are mostly a toning issue, It did help rehab my knee. To each his own on the weighted squats. I don't like them but thats my deal.

Serpent
07-25-2002, 11:14 PM
Sure, isolation machines are great for exactly that. Isolation. I can imagine that for rehab they are a good option. However, to use them for general strength building is dangerous because you won't develop all the muscles needed at the same rate. It's a good division to be aware of.

You see, Abel, we can agree on some things. When you're not being a total tool. ;)

07-26-2002, 03:37 AM
As a beginner I don't find weighted squats put a strain on my back at all. Of course I might be storing up back problems but it doesn't seem to be an exercise that puts pressure on the back if done right. However I saw my missus try and do it without any weights on the bar and she was unable to do it with proper form. Maybe trying to do too much is the problem?

I've been doing squats fairly heavy (for me) and doing 3 sets of 6 three times a week.

I've also moved onto benching with a bar rather than a machine which I find much better.

The third main exercise I do are pull ups - I can do three sets of a dozen or so (I'm 13 stones or about 83kg) easily enough but I find very wide grip pull ups infinitely more difficult.

What do you guys think of these 2 exercises:
1 - Dips - Are these worthwhile - I would love to bang out a series of dips in the gym just to impress people but again I find these hard !
2 - I was told that holding a press up/push up position but with your weight on your elbows was a worthwhile exercise? So basically you touch the ground with your toes and elbows and keep the body straight. I've been doing this on their advice but is it something worthwhile ?

Any advice, comments or p i s s taking appreciated.

TaoBoy
07-28-2002, 07:27 PM
Squats are great, but like every other exercise they should be performed with appropriate sense and caution. Don't bounce through the movement. Make sure the entire movement is fluid and controlled. Weighted squats add an extra level of intensity - do these after training standard squats for a while. Also, try walking squats - forward and back. Dead lifts with weights are cool too - neat hamstring/back exercise - BUT BE CAREFUL!!

Can someone please explain Hindu squats?

Peace.

Serpent
07-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Check this:

http://www.mattfurey.com/exercises.html

That's half a hindu squat. From there, stand up, swinging the arms up to level with shoulder height in front, then back down and so on, ad infinitum.