PDA

View Full Version : He's not my Sifu!

phoenix-eye
07-20-2001, 02:49 AM
Does anyone else think its a bit crap for someone to make their username " Sifu (Blah) (Blah)".

He's not my Sifu - I just thinks a bit presumptious and lah di dah..

Maybe it's just me - what do you think?

"Ow! That chafes!!!"

Je Lei Sifu
07-20-2001, 06:20 AM
For someone to use the title sifu does not mean that he is your sifu. Nor would you call my sigung by that very same title. It is okay to call or recognize someone as sifu weither you learn directly under him or not.

The title sifu is not for one person to judge, but it is a title of recognition used by your peers and the community (martial or civil). If your peers and the community see you as sifu, then it is ok to use that title. But if you are a self-proclaimed sifu that no one recognize as such and have not obtained a level of proficience, than that is a situation that is based on morals.

Unfortunately, there are so many self-proclaimed sifus available, it is hard to judge without seeing a person's martial skill.

Although I use the title sifu, no one has to recognize me as such nor do I expect anyone who does not train directly under me to call me such. It is up to the individual to acknowledge me or not to acknowledge me. However, it would not make me any more or any less of a sifu.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

phoenix-eye
07-21-2001, 01:24 AM
My point was more that mostly everyone on this forum is here to share and gain knowledge (except the trolls) and most go by non-titled names - i.e no "Sifu (blah) (blah)".

I am not criticising anyone using the term Sifu but it just seems that this forum should be a place where everyone is equal.

I feel that the use of Sifu in the username - in some persons eyes (and from reading your honest reply - not yours I believe) - is an attempt to emphasise their importance / knowledge/ etc. The content of your posts should indicate that - not your username.

It wasn't really a serious point - just someone got my back up with the tone of their posts. That's all.

"Ow! That chafes!!!"

Je Lei Sifu
07-21-2001, 05:10 PM
phoenix-eye:

I myself believe that we all are equals behind our pc. It does not matter how much knowledge we have, it still does not show superiority in skill, rank, lineage or what have you.

There are some who would say "I'm right and your wrong", "my style is more superior", and "You could never defeat me". It is ok for people to do this because this board is a place to share your ideas and opions. No one has to agree with what is said. It is not the username that matters, but the attitude of the person should be considered. But I do understand what you are expressing in this post, but please don't let anyones superiority complex change your attitude or character.

Peace

sui-fuw
07-23-2001, 12:04 AM
thank you,
phoenix,youre a person with intergrity if i may say.
je li youre a tosser.theres no truth in what youve said[ego]
the point is youre no sifu on this forum so why use it.youre not even a sifu to your students.
did you know that earning the title sifu is higher level than mother and father[you half witt]
but of course kung fu has been westernised and taken out of context,and striped down to annalize.

phoenix-eye
07-23-2001, 01:18 AM
I guess some people might think that I / we will take their opinion as gospel if they tell us all in advance that they are a "Sifu".

They should just ask themselves this question-

"Why did I feel the need to add the word Sifu to my username"

Was it just to stroke my own ego?

Je Lei Sifu
07-23-2001, 04:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>thank you,
phoenix,youre a person with intergrity if i may say.
je li youre a tosser.theres no truth in what youve said[ego]
the point is youre no sifu on this forum so why use it.youre not even a sifu to your students.
did you know that earning the title sifu is higher level than mother and father[you half witt]
but of course kung fu has been westernised and taken out of context,and striped down to annalize. [/quote]

Thank you for your intelligent conversation.

It only shows you missed the point.

Peace

Je Lei SIFU

joedoe
07-23-2001, 11:49 AM
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I always find it funny when people give themselves the title sifu, or introduce themselves as a sifu. It always seems to me that the true masters never introduce themselves as sifu, it is a title that people give them out of respect.

However, I do also see your point - the term sifu doesn't have to necessarily mean your own sifu.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Je Lei Sifu
07-24-2001, 05:27 AM
is how can people get so caught up in a username. A username is exactly that, a name someone uses and in this case to identify who they are.

Although I use the name Je Lei Sifu, I never asked anyone on the board to call me Sifu nor do I expect anyone to do so. There are many people on this board who use a name that may or may not have any truth behind the name. Take for instant the name Pheonix-eye, am I suppose to question whether you are a pheonix-eye or whether you have one? No, it would be foolish to consider it.

The bottom line is that I am sifu to no one on this board and no one need to call me as such. You are incorrect in saying that a master never acknowledge himself/herself as a master. If this was true, then they would not introduce themselves as such (only speaking of sifus who are recognized as sifu by there peers and the community), not only that, they would not accept for anyone else to introduce them as a sifu.

If people would stop speculating and realize that they do not know me or know anything about me, this conversation would not occure. If by chance we did meet, you would never hear me introduce myself as sifu, only by my given name Jerry Battle. It would be your chose to recognize me as a sifu or not to recognize me as such. It would not make any differnts what title is used, it's only by my character that I should be judge.

Peace

DF
07-24-2001, 06:05 AM
I have personally known Je Lei Sifu for awhile. He is recognized as a Sifu in the Kung Fu community. Beside a person of great skills, he is also one of the most humble person you will ever come across. I just want to say this because a lot of you never met the man and might have the wrong impression by his username, it is very unfair to make any judgement solely based on an username.

peace

DF

Crimson Phoenix
07-24-2001, 07:08 AM
C'mon it's just a username, **** it...and sifu means instructor, it doesn't have any idea of excellence in it originally: there are bad sifus, there are good ones, it's not like being a master (in that case you mandatorily have to be good!)...if one day your own sifu tells you to teach some beginners a form, you become their sifu for the lenght of the exercise, wether you like it or not, since you are instructing them...geez, stop losing time on these issues like I just did, it is the posts that counts, not the username...
Take care!

Phoenix

joedoe
07-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Whatever.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-24-2001, 11:53 AM
In Southern Kung Fu the word sifu is something to be reveared. It is not a word to be used lightly. I can see why Crimson Eye is up set when someone who is not his sifu claims to be his sifu. Crimson Eye probably is a BaiSee Todai where a good hearted master of kung fu picked a poor starving kid off the streets and trained him to be a great fighter and a great and nobel man.

Crimson Eye would probably have showed his sifu great respect and would not want anything dishonourable said or implied in anyway about his sifu.

Some for people on this forum (moderators included), please take note that some people get offened by the misuse of the word sifu. It is important that the kung fu community show respect to those who are emotionally sensitive (like Crimson Eye) who proabably has had a difficult childhood.

It's cool to be Egocentric,Egotistical, Egomaniacal but not Egophobic!

Maximus Maximize!

phoenix-eye
07-24-2001, 02:20 PM
As I said in my earlier posts:-

No disrepect to Je Lei at all. His replies seem honest enough and I have NO need to question either his kung fu skill or integrity.

IT IS the content of the post and NOT the username that counts.

I just felt that SOME people might use the term to make their posts carry more weight when they didn't necessarily deserve to. As I also said - one post in particular got me wound up.

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-27-2001, 04:43 AM
Like I said before, some people get very upsert when you use the word sifu inappropriately. i think who ecer that person is ows Crimson Pheonix an appology. He's from scotland remember!

Maximus Maximize!

phoenix-eye
07-28-2001, 02:05 AM
Its a bit confusing I know - Crimson Phoenix is not Phoenix Eye.

I'm Phoenix Eye - not Crimson Phoenix - but I have an Eye and its a bit Crimson. Maybe I'm Crimson Eye. Doh.....

Anyway, no apologies needed from anyone. Just come to Scotland and I'll challenge you to a head butt duel.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

bean curd
07-28-2001, 02:29 AM
i didn't know they did liverpool kissing in scotland??

phoenix-eye
07-28-2001, 02:50 AM
It's actually called the "Glasgow kiss". The Liverpool version is an inferior copy.

Ours is the secret Drunken skill passed down through centuries of study. Its powers are increased by the cultivation and generation of "whisky-chi". Over indulgence can cause dizziness and vomiting.

Sifu's generally take the appearance of a large man with tattoos and a beer belly. He will show you the basic techniques and encourage you to drink yourself into the "no-mind" state where you are oblivious to the limitations of the body.

He will then encourage your participation in the weekly "Fuk You" contest. Which generally happens outside the bars at 1am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Yes, It is a noble art.

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-28-2001, 03:33 AM
Crimson Eye,

I have great admiration for true Scotsmen. Do you track through the countryside in knee deep snow wearing a kilt?

Maximus Maximize!

phoenix-eye
07-28-2001, 03:38 AM
Yes!

My last username was "Blue Nuts"

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-28-2001, 04:15 PM
Is the username "Blue Nuts" used during winter in scotland. How's the temprature in the highlands and marsh planes. It is quite balmy in the states. I would like to visit Scotland one day and look forward to greeting the locals with a Glasgow kiss.

What's the difference between the Liverpool kiss and Glasgow kiss?

Do you aslo greet the women folk that way? Say your grandma......

Maximus Maximize!

phoenix-eye
07-30-2001, 01:11 AM
The difference between the Liverpool kiss and Glasgow kiss is purely in the verbal accent used when accompanying the forehead motion with "F**k you, you B*****d!!"

In Liverpool it is pronounced something like "Fook ya, ya Bastud!!"

The effects are the same.

I would not hesitate to use the Glasgow Kiss on a Scottish woman. Have you seen them? They all look like Liam Neeson.

Once they have consumed a few wines they have the strength of a thousand men!! They scare me sh*tless!!

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-30-2001, 02:56 PM
Pheonix - eye,

Must be confusing for you scots men when your chics look like Liam and might even return you a Glasgow kiss. This is especially the case when men wear kilts and chics wear dresses. Must be hard for you to know who's who. But then again with chics like these it might not really matter.

What's the reply to a Glasgow kiss? Is it Beam me up Scotty? Is that how you like it :)

Maximus Maximize!
ego_maximus@hotmail.com