PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Versus Silat

FIRE HAWK
07-24-2002, 10:24 PM
How would you use your Wing Chun against Silat ?

vingtsunstudent
07-24-2002, 11:34 PM
by training and not sitting on a computer asking stupid questions.
vts

Axiom
07-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Harsh but fair :)

yuanfen
07-25-2002, 05:24 AM
Firehawk- Good wing chun folks playa wing chun game-rather than allowinga silat person to play their game and then reacting to it.

ChinNa
07-25-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by FIRE HAWK
How would you use your Wing Chun against Silat ?

I have read.
Silat is 1 of the best Combat Arts,

Is not the style, is the practitioner, it can be a good practitioner in Tkd, and a bad practitioner in Kung-Fu, and it wouldn't matter at all the Tkd good practitioner will win, and the bad practitioner was training in a better rounded style. Also a good teacher will make you a good student if you trust him & do what he tells you.
;)

black and blue
07-25-2002, 07:53 AM
... I'm not sure if the two are the same. But...

Kali also uses the center-line principle (as far as I can tell), but they have a novel approach to it being attacked. Rather than assume a position like our Man Sau and Wu Sau, they have both hands in front at an equal distance and leave a good sized gap between them.

The idea is to draw your opponents attack into the center and then, when they do so, kick the cr@p out of them. 'Tis good stuff.

I've played with this idea with a few training buddies. People are less willing to hook around your hands (it cuts off the angle) and tend to throw in tight crosses, jabs and straight punches. From a defensive point of view it lends itself very well to Pak Sau, Dip Sau and Tok Sau... though I found getting the inside gate on my attacker was a lot harder than using a simple Jum Sau moving me to their outside gate.

How would I play a Silat/Kali guy? Dunno. :)

They use a lot of elbow work to the biceps as far as I can tell. Pretty nasty! They also like to stamp on the nearest limb if they can take you down.

In terms of takedowns they use a technique called sectoring. Trap your kick for example, stamp on your supporting foot, and throw the leg they've trapped away from themselves.

:( Ouch!