PDA

View Full Version : My Master's Sense Of Humour

TaiChiStorm
07-25-2002, 02:29 AM
When I presented a form which I had finished one week ago to my master in the last training session, his comment was like this:

"In Taiji Tanglang Quan, you must stand like a tree,
and move like a butterfly!!!!"
YOU!!!!! stand like a butterfly,
and move like a tree!!!"

That really made me think about my normally strong optimism!!!

:D

Art D
07-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Well that must have helped you a lot.???
Did he give you any way of turning that around so you can stand like a tree & move like a butterfly? yes I know practice your form .

yu shan
07-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Quality supervision...out of the corner of his eye...just like you AD.

TaiChiStorm
07-27-2002, 01:53 PM
Well, he is really an interesting person!!! Sometimes ,when he is in a good mood, he gives me complements. But if it was a bad day for him, his is p**** me off stronger than my teachers at school!!!! :D

Art D
07-28-2002, 09:35 AM
Yu Shan , you are right. trainning the old ways. A lack of communication in instruction. old sayings, and the strong servive . That is why I have moved on from that. I'm not saying that you don't dog your students , it's good for them, I'm not saying don't train till your dizzy, I'm a advocate for MIND STRONG. W/ that being said I have also have seen the benifit of presice direction & guidance. People pay me lots of money to train them so I now give them both my eyes as well as my ears (big ones) and ampil direction. although I must say some times the just go practice thing is still the right answer.

yu shan
07-28-2002, 08:20 PM
There is alot to be said about being "Mind Strong". I teach by example, a very hard approach, and one on one teaching. Probably my weak point is not alot of "speech". I talk while showing material, that`s it. I believe there must be some humor thrown in to counter the pain, though.

TaoBoy
08-04-2002, 10:19 PM
Could you please explain you style?
Is there a website that I could view?

Thanks, TB. :)

TaiChiStorm
08-05-2002, 02:19 AM
I am doing "Taiji Praying Mantis Kung Fu".
This style of Praying Mantis is the softest one, because you try to move as "flowing" as possible. That's because it is called Taiji PM.
BUT you normally don't practice the forms slowly as in Tai Chi. My master told me that you could do that and sometimes I try to be as slow as possible to learn the movements correctly.
If you have more questions... I am happy to inform you.
I will be able to give you some web sites later on. (my PC is not running at the moment, so I have to use my notebook)
Greets
TCS