PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Joseph

iron_silk
07-21-2001, 11:18 AM
Hi there it's me again! I realize for the CLF practicioners that "Jo-si" celebration(dan) is about occur soon and it had me start to think about my sifu. Although I never was a great student I always interested in the history of our kung fu, and I was wondering if you could perhaps
tell me something about your master, such as his/her name and his relation to my master and perhaps if possible a little background on your master. Give me your email or you can email me, this would be much appreciated. :)

extrajoseph
07-22-2001, 03:29 AM
I studied with a number of Chan Yiu-Chi's students both in Kwangchow and Hong Kong. All of them are dead now and they were not known out side of China so even if I tell you their names it would not make sense. I knew Master Tong Sek and his family well, he is my si-suk and your si-kung. He taught Wong Har in Hollywood Road, Hong Kong before he migrated to Canada.

Master Tong Sek, first studied with CLF with Wong Lek for 5 years, then he went to study with Chan Yiu-Chi for over 20 years before he left Kwangchow for Hong Kong. Master Tong was famous for his broadsword and taught in Hong Kong all his life until his death recently. He was a good bone-setter doctor as well. He has 2 sons now living in Hong Kong and Sydney and they are famous for their lion dance skills. Your sifu Wong Har is one of the more famous of his students. Others are now all over the world. Master Tong was a founding member of the Association in Memory of Chan Heung established in 1972 in Hong Kong. It was headed by Chan Kit-Fong, Chan Yiu-Chi's daughter and Ng Fu Heng's mother then. Both of them now live in Los Angeles.

Every year on the 10th.day of the 7th. Moon (this year it is August 28, in western calandar), we celebrate Chan Heung's birthday with a big banquet, lion dance and kung fu demonstration (and bi-ji-jo, of course). I am sure your sifu Wong Har or his students would have one. You should contact them and join in with the fun, it is a good way to keep in touch. I have many friends who used to do CLF but not any more because of age and family commitment and so forth, but we always see each other in Chan Heung's Memorial celebration and catch up with the old time. CLF is one big family because we have our roots and our branches like one big oak tree. Hopefully, the wind of changes will never blow it down. But it is getting harder because few people like to train hard any more and we keep forgetting our heritage and our tradition.

Joseph
:(

iron_silk
07-22-2001, 05:00 AM
I want to thank you very much for the time and information that you have provided me. I find it hard sometimes to approach a master in regards to their past or stories in their lives...yet your openness has given me an opportunity to a wealth of info I otherwise might not have gotten.

I hope I am not imposing with regards to your kung fu back ground?

And if indeed we are a family, under the CLF branch, and that your sifu is my si-bak, then I would like to take the opportunity to say Thank you si-hing!

extrajoseph
07-22-2001, 08:52 AM
You are welcome, iron silk si hing.
Joseph

iron_silk
07-23-2001, 07:37 AM
no no...I am si-dai.

Well if it won't be too imposing, I had just one more question to ask. In Vancouver the leader of CLF is clearly my sifu Wong Ha, yet there is another notifable figure whom is potentially related. Are you familiar with Tony Lee, and do you know his relations to my sifu?

I know this question seems a bit far fetch for you to answer, but I thought, what the hey let's give it a shot.

Thanks again! :D

extrajoseph
07-23-2001, 09:19 AM
Iron_silk,

I don't know Tony Lee or his connection to Wong Har at all, may be others can help.

Joseph

iron_silk
07-26-2001, 11:35 AM
Have you heard of Hilbert Yiu?

just wondering thanks!

extrajoseph
07-27-2001, 02:19 AM
No, I have not heard of Hilbert Yiu either, I know more about the old timers than the younger generation teachers and pratitioners. Sorry about that.

Joseph

iron_silk
07-28-2001, 10:28 AM
Thanks Joseph for the help you have already given.

YOur knowledge of old timers would show you to be a treasure of valueable information, and I am lucky to have been shared some of that wealth.

firepalm
07-30-2001, 09:15 PM
Iron & Silk, just to answer your question Tony Lee is a old time student of Wong Ha from way back in the sixties, one of only a couple still active from that generation (Peter Wong @ Hon Hsing & Gary Seto of Seto's Shaolin Choy Lee Fut being the others). There are a few others still active like Hilbert Yiu, a Wong Ha senior student from the seventies (as well as Bruce Fontaine, a student from the 70s, but he strictly coaches Wushu only now). Most of the other senior students that once taught are now retired or inactive.

iron_silk
08-01-2001, 11:18 AM
You are also from vancouver? I suppose you study CLF as well? tell me about yourself?

Thanks for the info by the way!