PDA

View Full Version : Chan Heung's birthday

extrajoseph
07-25-2001, 09:57 AM
CLF practitioners,

Chan Heung's memorial celebration is coming up in August 28 this year (the 10th day of the 7th. moon), I wonder how many of you out there celebrate his birthday.

Joseph

iron_silk
07-26-2001, 11:41 AM
Actually my sifu (Wong Ha) is having this big dinner celebration on August the fourth and invited a lot of people to come. (A lot of tai chi masters!)

I am also sure a parade will occur later as well! =)

Ray
07-26-2001, 03:52 PM
In Puerto Rico the chinese people don't celebreted anything in public, they don't do Lion Dance in public or any festivity, they only have chinese restaurant.My Sifu will have a dinner in the school.

extrajoseph
07-27-2001, 02:15 AM
It is good to hear that other CLF schools also celebrate Chan Heung’s Birthday. We normally do it in a local Chinese restaurant when there is money to spend, otherwise we would have a smaller and more private celebration in our school. The most solemn part is the “bi-Si-Jo” (paying homage to the founder) and the “bi Kwan Kung” (paying homage to Kwan Kung, the patron saint of martial arts) rituals in the beginning and the most fun part is the lion dance and the kung fu demonstration. The students often tried to out do each other and they get handed out their certificates fro the year at the same time. Often we would have a “dim-ching” (dotting the eyes) ceremony when we bought a new lion for the year and we let off fire-crackers that are 12-15 feet tall hanging off the face of the building. I wonder how others do their celebrations.

Joseph