PDA

View Full Version : Prolonged Horse standing

SSgungfu
07-25-2002, 09:17 PM
In wingchun, they do prolonged stance training. If you've ever taken a WC class, your legs have probably been more then sore. But the system teaches if you do that very much, you will gain better root and stronger legs.

Would standing in a deep/wide horse stance until my legs started to shake, long periods of time...would this help my balance, root and strength? Or would it make my legs tense and hard?
I assume it could also open up the qi channels from standing in that posture for a long time? Like holding the balloon.

Thanks in advance for your brain pickings.

norther practitioner
07-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Stance training is vital, different schools teach different width and positions for horse, but overall, its a really good idea to do as much stance training as you can bare in the begining stages. Another thing to look at is how you get to those positions, the steps into stances are the basis of all footwork (ok so it is the footwork). Holding the stance is good strength and mind training.

Former castleva
08-08-2002, 01:46 AM
Basically good for training strength/endurance and rooting.
But watch out for knee trouble! Wrong kind of or too hard/too early kind of practice with low center may jam your knees,while itīs meant to strengthen them.
Try to avoid too much tensing or locking up,when it comes to opening the chi channels,it could turn out to be opposite.
Some gentle warming/cooling up and stretching can come in handy.
BTW,I do not practice wing chun.This information is for general use about horse stance training as it is the case.
:)