PDA

View Full Version : Retaining sensitivity

gnugear
07-25-2002, 11:51 PM
Someone puts in X number of hours to develop skill. Once that skill is developed, how long does it stay with you?

What if you had to take a 6 month break? Would you still retain the fundamental sensitivity that took so long to aquire (like riding a bike)? Will some of it be lost forever?

Wingman
07-26-2002, 01:39 AM
Once that skill is developed, how long does it stay with you?

I don't know. I think it depends upon the person and the situation. One scenario would be: you have no chi sao partner but you still continue to practice (drills, wooden dummy, etc) by yourself. In this case the sensitivity would stay for a longer time.

Another scenario would be: you completely forget everything that you have practiced. In this case, you will loose your sensitivity much sooner.

Would you still retain the fundamental sensitivity that took so long to aquire (like riding a bike)?

I believe you will still retain the fundamental sensitivity in chi sao just like riding a bike. It might feel awkward at first; but after some practice you will regain your sensitivity.

Will some of it be lost forever?

I don't think that some of it will be lost forever. All you need is practice and more practice.

Mithrandir
07-26-2002, 03:20 AM
How much wood could a Wood Chuck chuck...I don't know. I guess it depends on the Wood Chuck:D

kungfu cowboy
07-26-2002, 05:16 AM
I think the answer lies in the rate of decay of neuronal connections.

kungfu cowboy
07-26-2002, 05:34 AM
Coupled to atrophy of the specific physiology involved.

kungfu cowboy
07-26-2002, 05:34 AM
And greasy ham sandwiches.

kungfu cowboy
07-26-2002, 06:02 AM
Or greasy hand manwiches.

red5angel
07-26-2002, 08:01 AM
I think it might depend on what it is you are talking about, for instance, stances, positions etc might be faster to recover and slower to disappear then sensitivty.....

gnugear
07-26-2002, 08:11 AM
How about continued training everyday, but no chi sao partner.

red5angel
07-26-2002, 08:14 AM
Thats an interesting one........I think you may still see degredation in your sensitivity however.

EnterTheWhip
07-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by gnugear
Someone puts in X number of hours to develop skill. Once that skill is developed, how long does it stay with you? Depends on the nature of other aspects of your life.

sunkuen
07-28-2002, 09:04 AM
did you figure it out yet red???

"Thats an interesting one........I think you may still see degredation in your sensitivity however."

hehehe!!! Not if you understand the......what?

yuanfen
07-28-2002, 09:38 AM
"degred" is a red invention, I think. Pioneering.Any thoughts?
No? The cartesian corollary - Non cogito ergo rufus est!

Grendel
07-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
"degred" is a red invention, I think. Pioneering.Any thoughts?
No? The cartesian corollary - Non cogito ergo rufus est!
Hi Yuanfen,

If Rufus and Gnugear want to be scientific about it, why don't they just lay off practice for a year and let us know how it goes?

Regards,

gnugear
07-28-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Grendel

Hi Yuanfen,

If Rufus and Gnugear want to be scientific about it, why don't they just lay off practice for a year and let us know how it goes?

Well, not really what I had in mind. :(

Just wondering about those times when you're forced to take a break due to family commitments etc.

yuanfen
07-28-2002, 06:59 PM
My gung fu is a family commitment- same for sifu, sigung and sijo.
yuanfen

gnugear
07-28-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
My gung fu is a family commitment- same for sifu, sigung and sijo.
yuanfen

It is for me too!;)

But, for instance, I was once forced to take a break for a couple of months. I still did personal training, but I just wasn't able to touch hands with anyone during that period. My sensitivity wasn't near the level that it is now, so I'm not sure I had that much to loose at the time ...