PDA

View Full Version : Any Kung Fu styles focus on ground work like BJJ?

truewrestler
07-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Just curious if there are any styles out there that focus 90% on ground control and submissions like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I know there are some wrestling arts like Shuai-Chiao.

thanks

Water Dragon
07-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Not that I'm aware of.

count
07-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Da Tang 90-100%

Monkey 50%+

Praying Mantis have some forms which are wholey ground fighting.

I wouldn't say Shuai Chiao has that much ground work. Although you should learn how to meet the ground. You will.;)

truewrestler
07-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Do any of these have competitions with ground fighting? I know Shuai Chiao has standing wrestling or throwing competitions.

truewrestler
07-26-2002, 02:19 PM
to the top

Leonidas
07-26-2002, 02:44 PM
I know of 2. One is called Dog Fist and another one called Golden Dragon style. I have no idea what the chinese names are though.

truewrestler
07-26-2002, 03:25 PM
I'll search, thanks

Leonidas
07-26-2002, 03:31 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/1429/clwtop.html

http://www.dragonslist.com/articles/styles/?id=5

Now heres a couple sites about Golden Dragon. There are alot of Golden, Black, White, Red, Blue, and Purple Dragon Kung Fu and Karate styles out there so dont get them confused

http://members.aol.com/irondogfst/dogfist/index.html

http://www.dragonslist.com/articles/styles/?id=47

These are sites about shaolin tie gou quan(shaolin dog fist basically)

They both seem legitmate enough and tie gou quan even has a fake origin story about shaolin monks and nuns like all good kung fu styles.

gazza99
07-26-2002, 05:13 PM
Its called PJJ, (prison jj), they not only defeat the opponent , but they "compromise" them in the worst possible way.

SevenStar
07-26-2002, 06:11 PM
As far as I know, no. Most chinese grappling is like what leonidas posted, which is nothing like bjj.

African Tiger
07-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Gazza, is that what BJJ stands for? Booty Jump Jacker?

Sounds like an Internal Art if I've ever heard one :D

truewrestler
07-26-2002, 06:56 PM
ewwwwww

SevenStar
07-26-2002, 08:11 PM
LMAO!!! I wonder what kind of chi blasts a master of that style can produce :D

neito
07-27-2002, 06:44 AM
i would doubt that you would find too much ground fighting. as i understand it most traditional grappling system prefer to dump their opponent on the ground but remain standing themselves.

The Willow Sword
07-27-2002, 07:31 AM
in the Tiger system there is a lot of ground work associated in the upper levels. but not taught out as much any more. i know also that Monkey has some ground work. i have never heard of mantis having ground work.

Many Respects,,The Willow Sword

Former castleva
07-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Makes me think about kou chuan (dog fist) immediately.
Quite a lot of information you have gathered about the style,as it is a rare style.
If I may add something,they use leg scissors or related activity to take opponent down,then grapple them down the ground.

neito,BTW,sharp way of putting that out,hehe.
;)

count
07-27-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by competitions. All the events I participate in have some throwing and limited ground work included, plus seperate divisions for groundgrappling. I did a yahoo search on Chinese ground fighting and came up with an event in Miami Aug. 8-11th sponsored by the famous Silat man Willem DeThouars. The event has everything from bagua to silat including jiu jitsu and tai chi, and features a workshop in Da Tang. Da Tang is taught regularly to children, (who are not that far from getting up off the ground,) in China as a first martial art. Maybe they have more specific competitions there. Any Chinese teacher who grew up with martial arts in China has had some experience and usally teach some. I only spoke about systems I have had experience in, I'm sure most systems of kung fu include all ranges of fighting in their competitions. Ones that don't, I don't consider kung fu.

Willow sword,

i have never heard of mantis having ground work.

How much mantis have you done?;)