PDA

View Full Version : Hey I'm in a tournament tomorrow

fa_jing
07-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Will post results. Representing Wing Chun, my friends.

Gandolf269
07-26-2002, 10:18 PM
Good Luck and kick a$$!

gnugear
07-26-2002, 11:10 PM
What kind of tourney ... chi sau or open sparring?

Let us know how you do, and good luck!:)

Grendel
07-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Gandolf269
Good Luck and kick a$$!
Right on! The omens are auspicious. I predict your success. :)

anerlich
07-28-2002, 04:51 AM
Best of luck if I'm not too late.

Let us know how you went!

fa_jing
07-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks people! I did pretty well, I got second place medals in Southern forms, point sparring and continuous sparring. For the full match report check out page 3 of my thread "continuous sparring" on the main Kung Fu forum. I beat a 10-year Karate practicioner in both sparring comps, however it was close and my conditioning was superior. I lost to my junior classmate in the heavyweight continuous so wing chun won! Just kidding, anyway the turnout wasn't as high as we expected. Nobody got hurt, we all had a great time and I learned something. We got parts of the matches on tape. BTW, about half of what I learned went out the window when I got started. This is partly because I used to do tournament sparring in another style, TKD, about 12 years ago. Mostly, though, due to the excitement of the situation, and falling into the other guy's game.
Anyway, you all know how I train, so I did well. I was definitely more comfortable in the continuous sparring than the other guy. Anyway, I am working on decreasing the amount that goes out the window, because it is my firm belief that only minor modifications need be made to traditional styles to accomodate them to sport fighting. Last time I was sparring my sifu, we were going fairly hard, I stepped in for a side kick and spread my hands, he low bon sao's my kick and hit me with a clean whipping punch from the bon sao that rocked me. Bayyooo! All this with boxing gloves. We've got it on digital tape and one day I'll figure out how to post it. So he has the skill to posterize me, and I want to acquire that skill. It's all coming together, a progression towards unification. The traditional and the sport/modern training methods.