PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee doing SLT and Chi Sau

gnugear
07-27-2002, 12:34 PM
I was watching "A Warriors Journey" last night on AMC and saw some brief footage of Bruce doing SLT and a little bit of chi sau.

His SLT looked pretty powerful ... not really what I expected.

During chi sau he was turned to the left ... A LOT! Another surprise because I would have assumed a more squared off position.

S.Teebas
07-27-2002, 07:05 PM
During chi sau he was turned to the left ... A LOT! Another surprise because I would have assumed a more squared off position.

Why would you assume he should be more square on? He's a small guy so needs to attack from angles. If he was facing left, its because the other guy probably didn't have much of a structure on that part of his body. Why change your angle of attack if you can get through?

If the guy was smaller; then he should be able to just plow right through him (depending on how much of his body weight he can actually use correctly)

saulauchung
07-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Gnugear, was Bruce Lee doing chi-sau with his left hand performing the tarn/bong and right hand fook?

gnugear
07-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by saulauchung
Gnugear, was Bruce Lee doing chi-sau with his left hand performing the tarn/bong and right hand fook?

hmmm.... hard to remember, but I think the right arm was doing bong sau. So as he did bong sau, he was also rotating his body to the left. His partner looked smaller, so I don't think it was a size issue.

I just ordered the DVD because it was pretty cool seeing all that lost Game of Death footage. I'll take a closer look when it arrives.

saulauchung
07-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I could be wrong but I suspect the reason why someone would turn to one side while doing the *square* lok/poon sau was because he/she was unable to keep his elbow in during fook sau. To compensate for this, and to prevent his opponent's tarn sau from a clear open strike, he can unintentionally twist the waist in the same direction to bring the elbow in the centre and preventing an open strike. The elbow out problem is often encountered by people with sizable muscules so that's why I have this suspicion.

I know there is a chi sau drill that employs body shifting, but this is more complicated and doesn't sound like the way he's doing.

If there are ligitamite reasons for this off-squaring, then I'd be very interested to hear it.

SLC

narjar
07-27-2002, 11:40 PM
It is possible he was doing the old style chi sao where they do the chi sao on a side angle and pivot from side to side every so often.They do this in Foshan at my Masters Kwoon ,Lun Gai(lon gi).We dont do it much.I didnt see the program so i am only taking a guess.

Mr Punch
07-28-2002, 01:20 AM
Gnugear, how was his slt powerful? And was this from the days before he got buff?

williamsremo
07-28-2002, 04:44 AM
I have the full film of Bruce doing the SLT. He is quite young, Maybe 18 or 19. He goes through it pretty fast, and in my opinion is kind of sloppy, but it is pretty cool seeing Bruce doing "Pure" Wing Chun.

tiger_1
07-28-2002, 05:54 AM
hi and im just like to say :im dnt know realy are brus do and are brus traning all chi sao system but what its do that its realy great , and real great presentation of some parth of wing chun - just friendly tiger_1:)

gnugear
07-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Gnugear, how was his slt powerful? And was this from the days before he got buff?

Maybe powerful wasn't the correct term. It was very snappy ... with a flicking action with the wu sau hand.

We do it pretty slow and smooth, so it's most likely just different from what I'm used to. I saw some footage of Samual Kwok and it looked very similar.

... the chi sau just looked different though, because he was moving forward (or back) while turned to the side.

yenhoi
07-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Whats AMC?

How do i get a copy of what your posting about?

Tks.

gnugear
07-28-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
Whats AMC?

How do i get a copy of what your posting about?

Tks.

AMC = American Movie Classics. It's a cable station like Bravo.

I looked into it and it's available on video. I just ordered it online, but I'm sure it's also available at Blockbuster ect.

yuanfen
07-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Why get the video. Havent there been some sightings of BL and Elvis working out? BL will never die anyway--- what would we do for mag covers?

gnugear
07-28-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Why get the video. Havent there been some sightings of BL and Elvis working out? BL will never die anyway--- what would we do for mag covers?

Look at Jimi Hendrix ... only 3 studio albums released during his lifetime, but over 200 since his death.

... the lost Game of Death footage is cool though!

yenhoi
07-29-2002, 05:34 AM
I want the 'lost' footage from game of death. Whats this called so i can go buy it? Where did you order it from the 'net?

gnugear
07-29-2002, 08:19 AM
It's called "Bruce Lee - A Warriors Journey"

I got it from DeepDiscountDVD.com for 14.95