PDA

View Full Version : power generation-striking (your style,any style,your idea,general idea) How-to

Former castleva
07-29-2002, 12:24 PM
What do you guys think about striking method(s)?
What do you believe is the best way to get power into a strike (or attack in general-may it be offensive or defensive)
Sure this is a broad thing to put out in a nutshell.
I would like to hear what kind of path works the best for you & or what is your styleŽs approach to this (?),as they differ.
And why is is the "best" for you?
Some sub-areas including:
breathing
body mechanics
internal power
condition
speed
power
technique ,eh ;)

some sort of general/down-to-earth (or not) idea or related,welcome.

:)

shaolin kungfu
07-30-2002, 12:12 AM
The techinique used for striking really depends on what style you study. My style (northern shaolin) teaches that in order to create the most power in your strike, you should maintain stability and a low center of gravity. Also, you can generate more power by turning your hips and shoulders into a punch. When kicking, throw the whole weight of body into the kick. If you listen to the tai chi method of striking, power comes from the developement of chi. I have never taken tai chi or anything like it so I don't know much about it's theories or techiniques.

Former castleva
07-30-2002, 03:34 AM
Thanks a bunch.
Yes,I realize style is a big issue in this.
Your theories make sense too,it seems that they are a major part of many arts.

SSgungfu
07-30-2002, 10:35 AM
In taichi, power is generated in multiple ways, or multiple JINS.

One example of this is the drilling jin. When you throw your strike (on top of snapping the hips, body weight, etc) you would turn your fist as you struck. You would drill your energy into your opponent.

Former castleva
07-30-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks to you too.
IŽve read about jin quite a lot.
It seems there are a lot of jinŽs.Drilling jin that you mentioned,being one.
I guess that comes to play mostly at advanced levels.

WingTsun20
08-01-2002, 05:36 AM
I generate power from relaxed muscle groups working at the right time!(Body mechanics) Also correct breathing, you need to breath to live!

In WingTsun the straight punch acts as a snake(many joints) when thrown out it generates alot of power!(rolling elbow jobbie)

Also power is generated by hand before foot movement!
For example imagine an nail thorwn out then the hammer lands after.

Former castleva
08-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks!

Kope
08-01-2002, 12:47 PM
I use a disel 600hp generator for my power .. with an ac/dc converter circuit it works really great . ..

Oh, wait . .nm . ..

:)

-----
Seriously, I think eventually all forms come down to right body mechanics and concentrating on the right things at the right time for power generation.

Internal styles focus on "chi" and eventually develop powerful strikes. External styles focus on powerful strikes and eventually develop "chi."

In the end it's all just awareness, reaction time, and kinesthetics.

Selecting the right technique at the right instant and doing it right = power.

Former castleva
08-02-2002, 07:28 AM
Thank ya.;)

Tristan
08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
IŽll try to relax completly while punching to get more speed!!

T.

Former castleva
08-06-2002, 02:08 AM
Thanks.:)

curtis
08-06-2002, 02:21 AM
Hello Former castleva

I posted a few writeups on this topic of the JKD fourm under the title of Do You Pull Your Punchs?
I thought you may like to read them.

POWER ISNOT THE ANSER, the anser is How do you transpher it?
C.A.G.

Former castleva
08-08-2002, 07:40 AM
Thanks.IŽll check those out.:)

Flattop Monk
08-09-2002, 11:24 AM
My favorite method of developing striking power was to strike a canvas sack filled with 10lbs of fine pebbles. The bag is hanging shoulder height, and I would do 50 strikes each type, both hands. 50 straight punches, 50 backfists, 50 palm strikes, etc.

This was after a good warmup, and rubbing my hands with some good Dit Da Jow untill I could not stand the heat any longer.

I started with 10 lbs of rice as a beginner, worked my way through fine sand, up to pebbles, and the next step is Steel BB's.

Always use proper stances- horse, bow and arrow, etc. Make sure your body is lined up properly, and remember this is a gradual process. Use a good Jow before and after training. I also played around with the bag on a table method- similar to wle.com- which is also really good. But I prefer the hanging bag because you can also punch it as well as Chop, Palm and Tiger-Claw it. The bag also swings, so it trains Eye/Hand coordination.

Remember, this method is for full power strikes. Watch your strikes carefully, and strike hard and correctly. This method will really increase your striking power.

Good Luck with your training.

Flattop Monk

InternalMovment
08-14-2002, 09:19 PM
I train in Ba Gua Zhang and Ninjutsu. In Ba Gua, We use circular movement, internal strength, non linear tactics, and evasive footwork. In Ninjutsu (or budo Taijutsu for all you picky *******s) Use one flow motion and line your body correctly. And it helps to be behind them... with a sharp blade... at night.

in case you were interested

John

Former castleva
08-15-2002, 05:12 AM
Thanks.

Choke
08-15-2002, 06:29 AM
For some interesting descusions on power generation etc have a read of this old thread Tun To Fau Chum (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=911&highlight=fa+jing)

It is very interesting.

It is also amazing to watch those who are able to generate power this way correctly. It goes far beyond putting the old hips (or waist) into it :)

fiercest tiger
08-21-2002, 01:02 AM
I like to have an Aggressive manner and hit continuously, as well as timing is very important part of my training.

use all angles and body motion like, rising and falling to create a smashing and crushing attacks/strikes.
Learn to use hands and legs with a flow.
regards
FT:)

Former castleva
08-21-2002, 03:44 AM
Thank you.

inyo
08-24-2002, 04:00 AM
Relax,breath out and whip out your chi.Be natural ,soft and spontaneous

Former castleva
08-26-2002, 05:25 AM
Thanks inyo.

dmsdc
09-02-2002, 05:35 AM
For me, good body mechanics means that power is transferred through the body by closing and opening joints -- while at the same time relaxing and contracting muscles.

So let's take your basic reverse punch. First I fully close as many joints as is reasonably possible. The ankle is bent, the knees are bent, the qua is closed, the waist is turn away from the target and the elbow is bent. I inhale and I hold my shoulders down with my lats.

The power begins when I push into the floor with my legs. Then the joints open in the opposite order I listed them, the spine is rippled, the elbow unbends and I exhale.

I train this in a very exaggerated method. Training with the understanding that when you are in a fight outside of your training hall you will be under the effects of adrenaline and lose up to 80% of your fine motor skills. I'm counting on the 20% that is left of my training to save my ass.

The not so secret secret to developing true power is using a full range of motion and allowing each joint in the body to move in a natural, relaxed way.

Dana

Former castleva
09-02-2002, 10:09 AM
Thank you.
That has some new stuff into it.

lowsweep
09-13-2002, 05:40 PM
It's not easy to describe a boxing (western) punch in terms of power generation, it's just a feeling you get when you line everything up that means you did it right (as well as the bag shooting off and shaking like crazy). We breath out when we punch, helps so you dont get the wind knocked out of you if you get counter punched or hit in mid punch. The best advice I've ever heard on the subject, though, was "sink your hips and twist like a -------- -------." Boxing power, while it comes up through the legs (especially on hooks) is generated in a large part by the hips. At the end of a cross your hips are facing the man you're aiming at, or maybe turned even further around. If you can get your hips through a punch and keep your shoulder up, at the right distance you should have power. It will take some time and coaching to develop, though.

SanSoo Student
09-16-2002, 09:41 PM
I think sansoo shows a person the way to strike "hard" if you want to call it that way. I prefer striking the ribs and throat.

Former castleva
09-17-2002, 05:33 AM
Thank you both.

Martial Joe
09-19-2002, 04:29 PM
Just try to be relaxed.

Former castleva
10-10-2002, 06:14 AM
Thanks.

brothernumber9
10-10-2002, 11:34 AM
I believe power comes from the floor up in a tight coil kind of jing. One or a few have stated they favor hands before feet, I feel its the other way around. I imagine my body as a coil and that power is transfered through the coil (refering to strictly straight punch) the joints help to amplify, transfer or block the power in coordination with a loose dominoe type effect of muscle groups contracting and relaxing. The power comes from the feet/ankles(push/sink), to the knees (back leg locks continuing the flow of the push) then to the waist ( the waist twists square forward, transferring the power further) then to the shoulders ( the shoulders turn square forward pushing the power to the arm) and then out through the punch (complete extension then slight recoil) both latts tight at same time all movement stops at same time. The feet offer a root for the power to begin and an anchor for resistance so that once the punch makes contact minimal power is lost when the punch begins to push past the point of contact and not back to the feet of the puncher.

Former castleva
10-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Well thanks,that is one interesting,if complex? approach.