PDA

View Full Version : How to train for a San Da fight?

WaDo
07-30-2002, 06:57 AM
Hello,
I had a San Da fight 1 month ago. I lost the fight, since I
did not realy change my training except more jogging and
punching training. I never had a real sparring before. Now
my question is if there is a way to train for San Da without
sparring. Do you have experience in Sanda? What do you train?
Witch Mantis technik is good for SanDa?
My biggest problem was that I did not get agressiv. I did not
want to hurt my opponent. How to handle this?

SaMantis
07-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi WaDo,

I don't think you can fight competitively without sparring beforehand. Punching a bag will help you throw a stronger punch, jogging will keep you in the ring longer, but how do you learn to defend against a punch? How do you learn timing and rythm, when to defend/when to attack? How do you learn to punch harder or ease up on an opponent? Sparring with a partner is the best way to do this.

Mantis techniques -- just try whatever you know when sparring, see if you can make it work.

But get an experienced sparring partner (doesn't have to be from the same style, just someone with experience and a good attitude), and a coach if you can afford it.

ursa major
08-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by WaDo
Hello,
I had a San Da fight 1 month ago. I lost the fight, since I
did not realy change my training except more jogging and
punching training. I never had a real sparring before. Now
my question is if there is a way to train for San Da without
sparring. Do you have experience in Sanda? What do you train?
Witch Mantis technik is good for SanDa?
My biggest problem was that I did not get agressiv. I did not
want to hurt my opponent. How to handle this?

Not sure what a 'San Da' fight is ? I am unfamiliar with the term and curious to know it's meaning.

thx,
UM.

WaDo
08-01-2002, 10:35 AM
It is similar to an Muay Thai fight, but you do not fight in a ring you fight on a platform (like Lai Tai). I think the new term for
San Da is San Shou.

During the fight you are allowed to punch and kick also you
are allowed to use your ellbows, knees and takedowns.

iron man
08-11-2002, 06:30 PM
I agree with SaMantis, the best way to prepare for a sparring match is by sparring but you could also shadow box in front of a mirror or use a skipping rope to make yourself more "light-footed"

Merryprankster
08-19-2002, 11:46 AM
There is NO way to prepare for a fight without sparring.

How do you train for a San Da fight? You train hard. And you spar regularly. Sometimes all out, sometimes light, sometimes just focusing on one piece of the puzzle. But you spar. NONE of the work you do will mean CRAP without that.

Hua Lin Laoshi
08-19-2002, 01:29 PM
WaDo
Why did you lose? Lack of strength, stamina, technique? You should have an idea as to what went wrong and where you need to train harder. If it's just a matter of not being aggressive enough because you didn't want to hurt your opponent then you will need to train with a partner so you can guage how much harm you're inflicting and adjust. You need to balance aggressiveness with control and I don't believe you'll get that without the feedback you get from a live opponent. Since you're not familiar with fighting you don't know where to draw the line or whether you can actually hurt your opponent. In the early days of full-contact kickboxing it was believed that Karate punches and kicks would kill. Guys like Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace and Chuck Norris proved you could survive attacks like that. Unless you're exceptionally big and strong you won't be hurting a trained fighter like you think you will.

MightyB
08-22-2002, 09:04 AM
1) http://www.ringside.com

2) Get a sparring partner

3) Practice slipping punches and throwing a person.

4) Don't worry, you won't hurt anybody.

5) Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. Sometimes stamina alone can win a fight.

6) Get hit-- Alot-- during training. Let a partner kick your thighs, shins, and punch your arms and gut.

7) Keep entering matches and you'll eventually start winning. There's no substitute for experience.

MightyB
08-22-2002, 09:08 AM
8) Practice with gear equal to what you'll be using in the match. For example, bag gloves are a joke, use the big 14 or 16 ouncers that you'll be fighting with when you practice. It does you no good to practice techniques that don't work with the gloves on.